Day 1 post-op LIS and fissurectomy!! PAIN-FREE! (so far!)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Day 1 post-op LIS and fissurectomy!! PAIN-FREE! (so far!)

Postby penelope8 » 18 Jan 2012, 03:36

Hi everyone,
I had my LIS surgery today!. I was so nervous but it was all very straight forward. I went in at 10am and had the surgery at 12:00. They gave me a GA (thankgod) and I woke up in Recovery at about 2:00pm. I had no pain as the surgeon said he put a lot of Local Anaesthetic in the area. I had the LIS but also I think he did a fissurectomy as I have a few stitches and the nurse said he scraped the fissure away. I sent home with argagol (laxative) and I'm on movicol. I was told to take panadol and panadeine. As panadeine forte will cause constipation. I'm just hoping that the panadol/panadiene is enough hold my pain in the next few days.
It's 8:30pm here is Australia and I still have no pain whatsoever. I've passed some gass which was painless but haven't had a bowel motion as yet. I took a sitz bath and also had a peek at the site!. It really doesn't look as bad as what I had imagined!. There is some bruising starting to show and around two stitches. My anus looks a bit swollen too but not that bad. I feel really positive about it all but then I'm in no pain. Nothing compared to childbirth or the recovery from childbirth!.I will post again tomorrow to let you all know what the pain is like and how my recovery is going. I'm so glad I didn't back out of the surgery, it really was such a simple procedure and so far the recovery is good. I'm looking forward to breastfeeding my bub tomorrow and a future of no pain!!.
Thankyou all again for your thoughts. I was thinking about you all today as I was in recovery thinking how lucky we are to be able to have this surgery. I can't imagine what the women in 3rd world countries go through after childbirth that results in a fissure!. I just can't wait to be pain-free!.
Will keep u all posted! Penny :D :D :D
penelope8
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Day 1 post-op LIS and fissurectomy!! PAIN-FREE! (so far!)

Postby Sue1962 » 18 Jan 2012, 07:26

YAY Penny!! Image Congrats on your surgery and soon you will be pain free!!! Take it easy the first few days and rest. Don't be alarmed if the bruising gets a little worse and the swelling also. Mine peaked at day 3, after that it was smooth sailing. I am so happy you didn't back out too. I think we all think about it, when we are so close to having it done. I just thought, can I really live with this pain on/off for the rest of my life, and my answer was NO. Good luck with healing and pamper your butt...LOL Let us know how you are doing.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36