Squat rather than sit

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Squat rather than sit

Postby Davo » 19 Jan 2012, 06:10

I found this article after seeing a programme on UK TV about the benefits of squatting for rectal problems including anal fissures. This is meant to help relieve constipation and stop straining by opening things up more when visiting the bathroom.
I have not tried it myself but the suggestion the programme made was to either put you feet on their tip toes or raise them off the floor by using a few books as a platform or a box even. Basically the trick is to try and bring your knees above your waist.
Has anybody else heard of this?
http://www.relfe.com/toilet_seat_constipation.html
Davo

Topics: 42

Re: Squat rather than sit

Postby Sue1962 » 19 Jan 2012, 07:10

The modern toilet was a horrible invention!!! I mean our ancestors hundreds of years ago, would squat in the wooods. Squatting, is a much more comfortable position and when my fissure was in full blow mode I would squat over the toilet :oops: feet straddled on either side and squat not sit. It really did help. Sitting on the throne, causes a lot of pressure down there. Interesting read!! Thanks for sharing that
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby workingonit » 19 Jan 2012, 09:54

I wrote about this the other day, about the 'psuedo squat' for when you don't have a stool to raise your feet next to the toilet.
You lean yourself far forward with your back arched a bit and tilt your feet back so they are braced on either side of the toilet. This opens up the anal canal for easier evacuation.
Since I learned this position, I have not had to push at all.
I tried once to climb up onto the toilet lid like I read someone else does, but I thought I would break it and kill myself! LOL!
-woi
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Savaici » 19 Jan 2012, 10:25

I think I will try your suggestion workingonit. You should post it one the hints etc thread. I know that squatting can be found there, and if you can do that good luck. I have this vision of trying to explain how it happened to an ambulance man...just as well I cannot balance. So many other countries use the squat, even their toilets are different.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby workingonit » 19 Jan 2012, 13:32

Hey Savaici,
I think I just posted it under general discussion. I didn't see a hints etc thread?
I know what you mean about toilets in other countries, and not just asian. When my hubby and I were on our honeymoon in Europe, it was an adventure every time we had to use a different bathroom. We came across some porcelain holes in the ground in Italy. Once I had to look for almost 10 minutes for the flushing mechanism, which turned out to be a button next to the sink! The holes in the ground were difficult to use, as my feet won't sit flat in a squat. Just never developed the flexibility in those ligaments.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Grateful Ed » 19 Jan 2012, 15:07

It can also help if you have a small box/carton that you can put your feet up on when you go. I use an empty Epsom Salts carton & that seems to elevate my feet/legs enough to facilitate a BM. I'm fairly agile but I still can't bring myself to try squatting on the bowl while going. Keep your back arched & shoulders down- remember to breathe & think good thoughts.
Grateful Ed
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Sue1962 » 20 Jan 2012, 07:14

Someone posted on here they would get a paper plate and line it with toilet paper and squat over the plate and poop, then dump it in the toilet. I just couldn't bring myself to do that so just squatting over the throne really worked for me.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby TonyStone » 20 Jan 2012, 14:18

I have read a lot about the squat toilet, not an option for us as everyone thinks I am nuts, but I kinda wish we had grown up with the squat toilets instead of these, hemmy causing crappers we have now. From what I have read, raising your legs up really isnt the same as "squatting" for those that try it.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby reckless » 20 Jan 2012, 14:42

For those of you who find it hard to squat, wear some shoes that have quite a heel on them. This reduces the need to be very flexible.
For guys, try wearing office shoes, or like Nike Shocks.
reckless
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby workingonit » 22 Jan 2012, 11:43

Hey Sue,
How did you manage to squat over the toilet? Did you use stools?
I'm thinking about ordering one of those stools online like the 'squatty potty' and give it a try. But what do you do when you are away visiting family or friends?
I still have no straining in the 'pseudo squat', but worry that it puts too much pressure on my fissure because it is on the anterior side.
-woi
workingonit
VIP