SELF-DILATION

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: self dilation

Postby volans » 19 Nov 2014, 11:50

I've tried self dilating twice with just a gloved finger, I managed to keep it in for about 15 minutes and when I took it out the area wasn't very sore at all. About an hour or two later I can start to feel it get worse though. Is this typical? I'm putting nifedipine on the glove as lubricant, maybe the tissue doesn't respond well to that. It starts to get itchy over time.
volans
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby Savaici » 19 Nov 2014, 15:06

Hi Volans.

This is a great thread, with lots of information. Do have a good read through it to see what others have done, including me. Nifedipine is not a lubricant, which could be the reason you're having pain. I would suggest that you use one of the lubricants that I wrote about that I used. You need to think long term; two tries is not a good idea of how it will work for you. I never itched when I dilated, but I used the right lubricant and small dilators, building up over time. I found it well worth the time...and money. Also, you might be allergic to latex. Never used it as did not want to find out the hard way thst I have an allergy!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Scientist2516 » 19 Nov 2014, 16:22

Vinyl gloves would be much better than latex. More slippery and non-allergenic.
But anyway, a finger does not give you any size options. Purpose-made dilators would surely be better.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby volans » 20 Nov 2014, 17:58

I got vinyl gloves although i felt it was actually harder to keep the material more slippery, it seemed like the lubricant was getting absorbed into the material. I switched to an actual lubricant (KY gel or something similar) so i'll see if the itchyness goes away this time. If it does, it either means the latex or nifedipine was causing some sort of rash.

As for dilators, I'm from Canada and I haven't seen much, especially when it comes to finding the right sizes. There is this http://www.amazon.ca/California-Exotics ... B002JINW1K
but it only comes in small, kinda big and WAY to big. So realistically I'd only be using one size.
volans
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby Savaici » 20 Nov 2014, 21:25

Volans,

This is my previous advice that i gave to Sandman in September. 

First, don't be afraid.

Second, use pediatric dilators and start with the very smallest for short periods of time. Build up the time you leave it in gradually.

Third, used Sliquid Organics Natural Gel or Soothe as lubricants. Both are excellent and also very slippery and have good things in them. 

Fourth: warm the dilators under running water and just relax when you use them. For me the best position was on all fours, head to the ground. Lying on side is more usual.

Dilators: Just get the ones you need. I started with 8mm and went up to 15mm eventually. These are pediatric dilators, and even in Canada you should be able to ask for them. They use them after surgery on young children. 

I used these pediatric dilators: 
http://ssp-inc.com/products/pediatric-p ... -dilators/

I varied between Sliquid for anal use (mostly used this): http://sliquid.com/full-width/sliquid-o ... tural-gel/
...and...
Soothe: http://www.intimateorganics.com/store/p17/SOOTHE_ANAL_ANTI-BACTERIAL_GLIDE_-_GUAVA_BARK_-_60ml%2F2oz.html

I used both of these lubricants and they are excellent in my opinion. I tried KY jelly and I hated it.  Never used Vaseline, as per doctor's advice.

I worked at this for a year. It is hard work to be moderately pain free (very pain free in comparison to how I was). I also use a Sitz bath, each time I poop!!

I hope this helps you. Best advice I can offer. 

Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Postby ouchmybutt805 » 06 Mar 2015, 16:24

yes I think you may be onto something. I read one post of a guy who tried everything including surgery and in the end he had to do diet and anal dilation to cure it in the long run. I have had my butt healthy enough to do some anal play butt have not actually put in time and energy with anal dilation on a regular basis. next time my butt is fissure free I am going for it. I a
ouchmybutt805

Topics: 1

Postby HateMyLife » 14 Mar 2015, 05:15

Greetings,

Has anyone continued dilating sessions with a bleeding tear and still healed?
HateMyLife

Postby Savaici » 30 Mar 2015, 07:00

Yes, HML. I did it while the fissure was active. Another member, one of our moderators, Suzyljank, did it after flap surgery, as recommended by her CRS.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby msimon » 30 Mar 2015, 12:23

How do you dilate when there is an active fissure? Doesn't it open the wound more and delay healing? Doesn't it make you spasm more and exacerbate the whole problem? The problem I have is that things spasm when I try to have a BM and it ends up being super painful and lasts for hours afterwards :( Would it help this?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby suzyljank » 30 Mar 2015, 15:43

You start small and do it slowly. It doesn't really help a fissure itself but it does help with the spasming. You can't heal if you're spasming because not enough blood flow is getting to the area to allow it to heal. I started dilation after flap surgery and I mean one week after having two flaps done. It took me a long time to be able to do it without discomfort but gradually it worked and has helped so much. It's the scar tissue caused by surgery or a fissure that's the enemy because scar tissue doesn't stretch. That's part of the reason you keep tearing. If you continue to tear then you need LIS and if it's truly stenosis you need flap surgery. Scar tissue doesn't go away or fix itself unfortunately. I suffered for more than 8 years. First I had LIS and it didn't help and then I had bilateral sliding flap surgery. Wishing you the best. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic