SELF-DILATION

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: self dilation

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 09 Mar 2013, 18:37

jr2:
Yes, my CRS has instructed me to take Miralax for life (I take a full dose every morning; I also take 1 1/2 tsp. of Konsyl twice a day). Because of this, I usually have one soft, but well-formed bowel movement every morning.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Savaici » 17 Mar 2013, 16:27

Image I have graduated to the 15mm dilator, and, up to now, things seem to be progressing. I have also been eating a little more varied food, having a treat or two, which is such a vast change in my life.
I am so glad that I took this step. It has made a tremendous difference in my quality of life. Things are not perfect, by any stretch of my imagination, but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby butthurt2013 » 17 Mar 2013, 17:19

I read this thread a few days ago as I was starting out with Self-Dilation...here's my report so far if anyone's interested:
http://anal-fissure.org/t6278-my-pain-has-disappeared-but-it-wasn-t-magic-read-how
butthurt2013
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby jr2 » 17 Mar 2013, 20:00

@Savaici ... hooray! All good news!
butthurt... Thank you for posting your regimen, which is really similar to what I am doing. I hope you continue to have success!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby buttquestion » 25 Mar 2013, 15:03

Those that have healed completely with the use of dilation, how many minutes should I keep it in?
I only used one finger for the past 3 days for 10mins. One finger to me feels very small.. not sure if it was even dilating. I think 10mins is a bit long and today I feel my "skin tag" is a bit irritated... ugh...
buttquestion
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby jr2 » 25 Mar 2013, 15:21

buttquestion
There isn't really an exact science to it in terms of length of time. Some people go for a few minutes, one physical therapist of a forum participant recommended 20 minutes. If one finger feels too small you're probably ready to start increasing the size of dilation by using a dilator. As far as the irritation of the skin tag, make sure you are using a lot of lubrication and you can try to apply slight pressure away from the site of the skin tag as you insert.
I find it's really important to do some sort of dilation immediately after a BM, even if it means just using a finger. The reason is there tends to be an over-reaction of the muscle right after a BM that snaps it shut very tight and pulls on the fissures. It is by far the most critical time for me to get the muscle to release.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby buttquestion » 25 Mar 2013, 15:57

jr2 wrote:buttquestion
There isn't really an exact science to it in terms of length of time. Some people go for a few minutes, one physical therapist of a forum participant recommended 20 minutes. If one finger feels too small you're probably ready to start increasing the size of dilation by using a dilator. As far as the irritation of the skin tag, make sure you are using a lot of lubrication and you can try to apply slight pressure away from the site of the skin tag as you insert.
I find it's really important to do some sort of dilation immediately after a BM, even if it means just using a finger. The reason is there tends to be an over-reaction of the muscle right after a BM that snaps it shut very tight and pulls on the fissures. It is by far the most critical time for me to get the muscle to release.

I see. I think this fissure is driving me mental.. my mind is paying attention to my butt like 24/7... every little pull, itch, discomfort make me worried that I somehow make it worse!
I don't know why I feel a bit worse today... it feels the skin tag is a bit irritated. I start using both coconut oil and dilation together at the same time and now I don't know which one makes it worse... I like coconut oil because it seems to reduce itching a lot but it could be making fissure more sensitive or whatnot. I don't know anymore!
buttquestion
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Savaici » 25 Mar 2013, 19:19

Hi buttquestion.
You might like to try using Sliquid Organics Natural Gel, which is what I use, making sure you get the especially thick consistency one for anal use. I find it very good. Sliquid sells it from their own site.
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Postby omedion » 26 Mar 2013, 13:20

I didn't realize there were other people trying self-dilation - thought I must be a bit wierd. I first tried it a few months ago, and it worked, but it seems it isn't a permanent cure, as I had to start doing it again after a while. Seems to work though.
omedion

Postby Savaici » 18 Jul 2013, 11:42

Have started with the dilation again and using 14mm. I have changed from using Sliquid to Organic Anal Lubricant from Intimate Organics. This is better - being able to start with 14mm - than last time, so I see that as a step in the right direction, in that everything is not as 'tight' as before.
I still bleed most days, but just don't worry about it.
Anyway, that is where I am at. When you think that hospitals in Europe usually send patients home with instructions for dilation after LIS, I think this is the route to take even without LIS, to loosen the muscle there. That muscle that I described to my hubby as a shark biting Image inside your arse. Having never experienced any sort of pain (like my life about three years ago), he could understand that this is somewhat nasty to go through :roll: .
I have also started eating a little more of a normal diet, without adding stock to everything with the hope of making my stools softer. Now I am a little more brave, but still stay at a certain amount of food. I do not want my BMs to be any more painful than they are. It is never easy but things trundle along.
Anyway, this is where things stand now.
Savaici
Administrator