Pneumatic Balloon Dilation vs LIS for Chronic AF: Trial

Found a good website that has some really handy information?  Post your links here...

Return to References, Websites, Facts...

Pneumatic Balloon Dilation vs LIS for Chronic AF: Trial

Postby Savaici » 23 Jan 2012, 14:19

Clinical, Manometric,and Ultrasonographic Results of Pneumatic Balloon Dilatation vs. Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy for Chronic Anal Fissure: A Prospective, Randomized, Controlled Trial
http://www.colonproctologia.eu/Pubblicazioni_Scientifiche_files/PBD%20vs%20LIS%20in%20DCR.pdf
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Pneumatic Balloon Dilation vs LIS for Chronic AF: Trial

Postby grannymaria » 23 Jan 2012, 14:43

Thanks Savaici.. I guess they are testing other methods to help us "AF" boardies worldwide.. Thanks sweetie Image
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Jan 2012, 15:23

That's a good article, savaici.
It's too bad that our U.S. crs aren't all trained in BOTH methods. When I mentioned the AD to my crs, he waved his hand and rather dismissed the whole notion, saying that "no one here does that procedure."
Anyhow - I'm seeing a 3rd crs on Thursday. Golly sakes, I hope he's a good doc and can help me.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby rubius » 10 May 2012, 11:34

savaici wrote:Clinical, Manometric,and Ultrasonographic Results of Pneumatic Balloon Dilatation vs. Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy for Chronic Anal Fissure: A Prospective, Randomized, Controlled Trial
http://www.colonproctologia.eu/Pubblicazioni_Scientifiche_files/PBD%20vs%20LIS%20in%20DCR.pdf

great link
was myself considering dilation...over LIS. this gives my belief quite a lot of weightage. frankly gettng th e sphincter cut through seemed quite scary.
but one question 40mm- 60mm dilation seems quite a lot. is it actually so much?
rubius
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby jr2 » 12 May 2012, 16:21

rubius...
60mm seems pretty high to me, and would be way outside my comfort zone for concern over sphincter damage. Anatomy varies by individual, with women tending to be smaller than men anyway. 40 mm would still be large, but way more reasonable considering that the maximum aperture for the human anal canal is generally somewhere around 35 mm.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Sana1 » 14 May 2012, 15:31

My surgeon has different opinion about ballon dilation. Explaning why she doesn't practice it, she said that fast inflation of the ballon to the high numbers can cause uncontrollable tears in the sphyncter vs controllable cut during LIS.
Sana1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Savaici » 04 Sep 2012, 08:54

You are bound to get differing opinions from surgeons, but the conclusions are promising. Not everyone can undergo surgery.
CONCLUSIONS
This trial demonstrates that both pneumatic balloon dilatation and lateral internal sphincterotomy grant a high level of efficacy in the treatment of chronic anal fissure. Although there are few side effects after both procedures, pneumatic balloon dilatation reduces the du-ration and severity of postoperative pain. It is worth noting that there is a statistically significant reduction in postoperative anal continence impairment compared with lateral internal sphincterotomy. In addition, pneumatic balloon dilatation is a nonsurgeon-dependent procedure, and is easier to learn and perform. Thus, pneumatic balloon dilatation should be, in our opinion, the preferred procedure for patients with chronic anal fissure who do not respond to conservative treatment.
REFERENCES
1. Rosen L, Abel ME, Gordon PH, et al. Practice parameters for the management of anal fissure. The Standards Task Force. The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. Dis Colon Rectum 1992;35:206–8. 2. Nelson RL. A review of operative procedures for anal fissure. J Gastrointest Surg 2002;6:284–9. 3. Madoff RD, Fleshman JW. AGA technical review on the diagnosis and care of patients with anal fissure. Gastroen-terology 2003;124:235–45. 4. Khubchandani IT, Reed JF. Sequelae of internal sphinc-terotomy for chronic fissure-in-ano. Br J Surg 1989;76: 431–4. 5. Renzi A, Brusciano L, Pescatori M, et al. Pneumatic balloon dilatation for chronic anal fissure: a prospective, clinical, endosonographic, and manometric study. Dis Colon Rectum 2005;48:121–6. 6. Jorge J, Wexner SD. The etiology and management of fecal incontinence. Dis Colon Rectum 1993;36:77–97. 7. Renzi A, Izzo D, Di Sarno G, Izzo G, Di Martino N. Stapled transanal rectal resection to treat obstructed defecation caused by rectal intussusception and rectocele. Int J Colorectal Dis 2006;21:661–7. 8. Pescatori M, Anastasio G, Bottini C, Mentasti A. New grading and scoring for anal incontinence: evaluation of 355 patients. Dis Colon Rectum 1992;35:482–7. 9. Nothmann BJ, Schuster MM. Internal anal sphincter derangement with anal fissures. Gastroenterology 1974;67: 216–20.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222