Hello Everyone!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello Everyone!

Postby Deleted User 1218 » 07 Feb 2012, 19:55

Well, I never thought I would be writing a message on an anal fissure board, but honestly, I'm relieved you all are here. I have been having on/off problems in that area for over a year now. Initially I saw a gastroenterologist due to occassional bleeding, and was diagnosed with internal hemorrhoids after a colonoscopy. After thinking that was the sole problem and treating it with sitz baths, then prep h, then anusol suppositories, then analpram, then who remembers what else... it wasn't really getting any better. I would be fine for a couple of weeks, then I would have a couple weeks of misery, on and off and on and off and on.... well I'm sure you all got the drift. I travel a lot for work, so I had to see a CRS in another state last year, and he didn't think much of it at that time. So, after a few more months of the cycle I was in... I finally saw a CRS back home in December. Granted, I was in more pain this time around and the bleeding (although minimal) was lasting for a longer period of time (Thanksgiving=big mistake). He diagnosed me with an anal fissure, and prescribed me diltiazem, which did nothing. Then he gave me GTN, which seemed to initially help, but that was only temporary too. So now, I'm going to have a LIS. I'm nervous about it, as I don't want to be incontinent for the rest of my life. I know its a low risk, but I could always be the unlucky one. However, I know I can't keep going through these cycles. I am afraid to travel, fiber and sitz baths consume my day, and frankly, I am tired of being obsessed with my butt. I hope this goes well. Thanks for being there for me to offload this.... this topic isn't exactly something I'm comfortable talking to people about, so my support at home has been limited.
Deleted User 1218

Re: Hello Everyone!

Postby workingonit » 07 Feb 2012, 21:46

Hey Julie,
You can say just about anything here so no worries.
We all know where you are coming from.
I'm similar to you in that mine kinda snuck up on me. I didn't have big bad constipation.
I know what you mean by fed up. It eats up your life and you can't tell just anybody. You can't say, gee I'd love to go for coffee with you, but my butt's being a real pain today...
I have only read of one person who had incontinence from LIS and he had the old kind done where they cut on the median. It was an old posting on another website. You'll be getting the kind where they cut on the side.
Is your fissure on the front or the back of your anus?
Do you have spasms?
I thought mine was hemorrhoids for a long time too and was in the middle of moving, so didn't have a doctor to go to at the time.
It's a pretty common mistake. One a lot of GPs make too!
Anyways, glad you are seeing a CRS you have confidence in. When is the surgery?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby tillyest » 08 Feb 2012, 16:50

Julie~Don't be afraid! I had the surgery on Dec 2nd and I wish I had done it years ago. I suffered for about 2 and half years with the horrible pain of AF. The surgery is quick and pretty much painless. I didn't need any pain meds and the first b/m was compleatly pain free for the first time in a long long time. It's been a little over 2 months now and although I can tell I'm still healing and need to be watchful of my diet I'm still so much happier now and almost back to my old self before AF misery started.
Good luck, don't be embarrased, the nurses are great and so understanding and will take super good care of you. I let the embarrasment keep my from getting the surgery earlier and I wish I hadn't let it get to me. I can't get all those "crappy" feeling days back. All the best to you! Tilly
tillyest
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Thanks for the support!

Postby Deleted User 1218 » 08 Feb 2012, 18:46

Thank you both for the support. Although I knew there are many other people with this problem, its not an easy topic to discuss with those you know. So its one of those frustrating, lonely battles that you go through at home. I'm glad your LIS went well, Tilly. It gives me a little more confidence going into this. My surgery is on Monday, so not much time for me to get too worried at least. What I'm mostly bothered by, is how this condition has affected my life. For example- I had to fly back home to see my CRS because it got a bit worse when I was out of state (for work), so I'm currently taking a hiatus from work to take care of this... which is putting a big damper on my financial status, too. I can't wait until this is over. Like you said- I can't get those days back, so I'm looking forward to regaining my life again. Oh, and Tanya- I think the fissure was towards the back, and I never knew what that cramping sensation was until I read the post on here about spasms- so yep- had those too (originally though that tightness was from hemorrhoids).
Deleted User 1218

Postby grannymaria » 08 Feb 2012, 19:26

God bless u sweetie hang in there n follow the eating n drink n fiber regime
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13