Liquid Diet to heal?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Liquid Diet to heal?

Postby workingonit » 13 Feb 2012, 12:27

There was a post about pain during orgasm.
I read about the pelvic floor muscles tightening and causing pain in other areas. Are you really holding yourself tightly down there. I do this myself as kind of an automatic reaction to the pain. I have to consciously relax those muscles as often as I can. This seems to help promote healing as well.
Have you seen a Colon Rectal Surgeon?
They are the best doctors for AFs.
They can give you a topical like nifedipine or nitro to help ease the tension in the sphincter and allow more blood to the area for healing. A good CRS will have options for you.
The most important thing for healing is to soften your BMs. You want your stools to be the consistency of soft serve ice cream. This is achieved with a high fiber diet and lots of water. Many people on the forum also use miralax (POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL (PEG) 3350) as a stool softener, and can be taken over long periods unlike ducalax. But as a word of caution, it doesn't always agree with everyone.
I like to use metamucil twice a day along with a spoonful of olive oil and prune juice with some magnesium at bedtime. (there are other brands other than metamucil that are less gassy, like benefiber and citrucel in the States)
You really need to drink lots of water with hi fiber diets and stool softeners. Otherwise you will make yourself worse off.
Have you looked around the board at all? This place is a treasure trove of past experiences and helpful ideas. I think people here have tried just about everything. But you have to search for it.
Take Care,
Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby rasmith3530 » 13 Feb 2012, 22:00

Tanya is definitely giving you the straight dope regarding seeing a good CRS and about getting that stool the consistency of soft serve ice cream. That said, those after pains you're experiencing after your bowel movement are spasms of the internal sphincter muscles. It is one of the endearing aspects of an AF.
I got my first about a year ago and although it was rough, it was nothing like the current one. I've seen my CRS and have LIS surgery scheduled for later this month.
As for your other problem, I have read of AF patients having problem with urinating at times, and I have experienced that myself, but not pain. When I have the problem, it feels like I've got to go, but it could take up to ten minutes of trying before I get any flow. This happens about a third of the time I have to urinate. I don't experience pain though, but I can understand how it could be possible. Again, you CRS probably is the best one to consult.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Ouchy! » 15 Feb 2012, 10:38

Yea, all the agony seems to be related. That is after (if) my pain subsides, the other pain does as well. I've been doing the best I can to stay as hydrated as possible and have eliminated most everything that would make my BM hard.
I had pretty consistnt blood each time I had a BM, but with my concentrated focus that has "gone away" and "healed". However the pain is still there, albeit ever slightly less. I hope this means things are moving in the right direction... It's just draining to have to consistantly go through this every day, sometimes all day. Thanks for the support and advise.
Ouchy!

Topics: 1