LIS on Friday - Back to work on Monday?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS on Friday - Back to work on Monday?

Postby Hineygirl » 10 Feb 2012, 18:27

Hello all - this is my first post, although I have visited here often. I am considering LIS surgery after suffering for many months with my AF. I saw a highly regarded surgeon who assured me that if I have the surgery on a Friday, I should have no problem going back to work the following Monday. Image
She said this is because I am not having skin tags or hemorrhoids removed - which makes recovery much longer and more painful. Has anyone else been able to get back to work so soon? Thank you - and thanks for this forum.
Hineygirl

Topics: 1

Re: LIS on Friday - Back to work on Monday?

Postby dwarfs8 » 10 Feb 2012, 20:17

hi girl, please do not believe everything a CRS said. From the theory, yes it's that fast, but in reality, we heal much slower than that!
Ask those with the same experience here after the surgery section and u'll know most wld take at least 1 week mc, if not 2 weeks mc.
u do know that after LIS, u need to still keep up with the diet, and after surgery care is utmost important for avoid infection
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Away PITA! » 28 Feb 2012, 10:59

My CRS said the same thing...for me it was a week before I felt like it was a good idea to resume "normal" activities. Listen to your body and don't push it.
Away PITA!
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Sue1962 » 28 Feb 2012, 17:28

My CRS said the same. I took 2 weeks off just to pamper myself and make sure I was ready. I would agree with Pita, I could have gone back after a week, but still took the 2 to recover completely I felt great, but I seriously doubt you will be ready in 3 days. I also only had LIS. I did post my post op experience every day for the first 7 days on here.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Davo » 29 Feb 2012, 10:15

I am scheduled for LIS on Wed 14th March - MY CRS told me to expect to return to work on Mon 26th March (1.5 weeks later)
I also do not have a skintag - I am no expert but to have surgery on the Friday and return to work on the Monday seems very optimisstic
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby rasmith3530 » 29 Feb 2012, 20:59

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. I'm on my second go around with the AF monster, and I just could nowhere near imagine living with the level of pain that I have experienced this time around, for months on end. This one began towards the end of November, and it has been maddening. I could simply not imagine myself going into work every day with the level of pain that I've suffered. You are either an Amazon or have the patience and pain tolerance of sainthood!
I kind of answered your question in my own thread, but felt I should come here and add my two cents, just in case you didn't see it.
I am currently in a part time hospitalization program, so I have the benefit of being in something where I can move at my pace rather than someone else's.
I could not imagine going back to work so quickly. My CRS prescribed Loritab for the pain, and it is a narcotic level drug, on the order of Vicodin. Although I have decided to forgo taking that Med at present, I would think that working under that drug could present issues.
If I were in your shoes, I would plan to take two weeks, and if you feel well enough to go back after one, great. I say this for a couple reasons. First, the body takes time to heal. If you are running around, doing all your normal activities, that could present a problem and slow or even reverse your healing. Also, there is the issue of stress. Whether we want to admit it or not, generally stress probably had at least a partial effect on making our fissures worse. Going back to work too soon will put you back into that level of stress, plus add some extra because we naturally want to make up for our diminished capacity.
I would treat it as a "staycation" with pain killers as a bonus. Good luck whichever way you choose to do this.
Rog
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Jojo1 » 06 Mar 2012, 14:06

Ummmm . . . NO, you will not be ready to go back to work on Monday. In fact, it is possible you won't even have your first bowel movement until Monday. Yes, this is a simply procedure, but it is still trauma to the body, from the affect of the anesthesia, to the incision, etc. It takes time to heal. Allow yourself a couple of weeks and respect your body. Wanting to get back to work immediately is admirable, but actually getting back to work in good condition is preferable.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Postby rasmith3530 » 06 Mar 2012, 19:43

I again would have to agree with what Jojo1 is saying, although I personally had my first BM the next day. That said, up until today, eight days post surgery, my bowel movements have included a degree of pain, and more important, that burning we come to love from spasms.
Do you have a shower or tub at work which you can use to clean yourself after a BM? If you don't get clean down there, you will pay for it in agony, and as I quickly discovered, actual wiping was pretty much out of the question due to pain issues.
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby jen_in_oregon » 19 Mar 2012, 23:07

Oh no...this makes me nervous! My surgeon told me that I should feel great and be back to normal activities the next day! I am scheduled for surgery on 3/21 (Wednesday) and supposed to be back at work on Tuesday. Should I tell my boss it could be longer? Image
jen_in_oregon

Postby Davo » 20 Mar 2012, 03:04

Hi Jen,
I had my surgery last Wednesday and today is the following Tuesday so exactly the same timescale as you are questioning.
If i am being honest i could probably go back to work today as i am almost back to my usual self with the exception of a little discomfort every now and then. I have however had a pretty rapid recovery and judging by many other peoples experiences on here i believe i have been very, very lucky.
For me though i am staying away from work until next Monday, I do not want to rush things or put myself at any unecessary risk. What is also very important post surgery is to keep the area clean by regular washing and baths - If i needed a toilet visit at work i couldn't exactly jump in the bath straight afterwards.
Before surgery my CRS told me to plan for 1.5 to 2 weeks off work so if i was you I would plan to return the following Monday at the earliest which allows 11 days off work.
Good luck with your surgery
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42