Just got back from surgery!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Just got back from surgery!!

Postby Layla85 » 15 Feb 2012, 08:23

Hi guys
Fiiiiiiiinally got surgery for my fissure this morning! Am pleased, relieved (and a little high from pain meds). The whole thing went without a hitch, although the anesthetic made me a bit sick about an hour after waking. They removed that darn tag though which I am THRILLED about.
I'm expecting pain later on and am armed with meds to combat this.
Any post-op advice people can offer would be super appreciated but just wanted to share the good news with y'all.
x
Layla85
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Re: Just got back from surgery!!

Postby Sue27uk » 15 Feb 2012, 14:27

Hey Layla, great news! What did you have done? Was it a fissurectomy or LIS? I have taken a backwards step and am losing a bit of hope again. I have been to a different doctor who said he would refer me to someone privately, someone he knows is good. I don't know what to do really as it will be alot of money but this is starting to affect my mental state again. I am so pleased you had surgery, I hope this will help you to heal! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby busybird » 15 Feb 2012, 14:31

Well done! Hope it all works out for you.
My only advice is, don't get constipated!!
I did after having my botox 3 weeks ago - was very painful I can tell you.
Take care x
busybird
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Layla85 » 15 Feb 2012, 15:41

Thanks Busybird!
I'm going to be super careful. It wasn't full LIS so the chance of it reoccurring are higher. So it'll be loads of veggies, fybogel, movicol, and water for me!
Hey Sue!
I'm so happy about finally having something done. It was just a v small anal dilation. They said that when I was under they would check how tight I was down there and if it was very tight they'd make an incision rather than a dilation. Given my age and gender they wanted to err on the side of caution and I guess they must have wanted to be super cautious. The surgeon said I had to be aware that given how careful he'd been it may well reoccur in future- the success rate of LIS is 97% and I think this would be lower. But I'm happy he was careful to be honest and hope and pray that it just takes this to finally heal me... And I'm so happy he removed that tag, I just can't tell you.

I'm so sorry that you're bad again! But pleased that you've found a good, helpful doctor, it makes all the difference I think. If you see this doc privately, explain your situation (and your problems getting suitable help on the NHS- he'll be familiar with that I'm sure) and ask him if he can refer you back to see him on the NHS.
Have you spoken to your GP about how this is affecting you emotionally? I'm sure if they knew they would refer you to get help on the NHS, regardless of having to wait for a follow up appointment for your botox? You absolutely do not deserve to feel this way, physically or mentally, it's not fair. Image
Layla85
Salt Bather

Topics: 18