4 Months Post-LIS (10-18-11)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

4 Months Post-LIS (10-18-11)

Postby queenofpain » 15 Feb 2012, 10:40

Did anyone have spasms for even a year after LIS, and were concerned you might require a second LIS, only to find the spasms completely disappeared at some distant point? If my stools are even semi-normal, i.e., non-liquidy, I go into spasm for days. My concern is the CRS cut too conservatively, given my tight sphincter. At this point, I can't imagine ever being pain or spasm-free. Thanks.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: 4 Months Post-LIS (10-18-11)

Postby workingonit » 15 Feb 2012, 15:30

Hi,
Is your fissure healed?
What did your CRS say?
You might consider self dilation as an option...
Or even controlled dilation if you can find a doctor near you who can do the controlled kind.

From what I've read, after a long period of only really soft to liquid BMs, your anus just kinda gets smaller, tighter and dilation is a way to break that cycle. It was what docs used to prescribe in the old days, but it isn't a quick fix like LIS (supposedly anyways).
This is all just what I've taken from stuff I've been reading. I haven't tried anal dilation myself yet, but am planning to as a long term maintenance solution.
Here's a post that might help;
http://anal-fissure.org/t2072-spasms-after-lis-surgery
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby queenofpain » 15 Feb 2012, 15:49

Hi Tanya,
That's scary. You mean it can still get smaller even after LIS? I just don't think I can get off stool softeners yet. My CRS didn't seem concerned about that, but I'll ask again at my next appointment in April. Supposedly, I've had two fissures, and he said they were healed (prior to the LIS). I would still have occasional bouts with pain even after 5 years after the tearing, so that's why I decided on LIS. I have no idea why there would still be spasm when the fissures were healed. I'll check out the website. Thanks.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 15 Feb 2012, 21:11

Hey Queen,
I found this when I was searching for other stuff;
http://anal-fissure.org/t888-fissure-healed-but-scar-tissue-causing-spasms?highlight=spasms
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby queenofpain » 16 Feb 2012, 08:20

Thanks, Tanya. I'll look at this site, too. You would think a cut muscle wouldn't have the capacity to spasm anymore, but evidently that's not the case. My CRS says to be patient, but I can't help but think he cut too conservatively.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby queenofpain » 16 Feb 2012, 08:29

Hey, Tanya, that's a great thread (scar tissue causing spasms). I, too, wanted to know if scar tissue is causing the pain because the surgical site is closed, and the fissures are closed. My CRS also said scar tissue can cause pain (after I brainstormed and asked - why don't they tell you this upfront??).
Okay, my question for anyone now is, does anyone know if scar tissue eventually will heal to the point where it doesn't cause spasms/pain?
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 16 Feb 2012, 14:03

Queen,
I've read about people getting physio therapy for painful scar tissue.
Also there are two oils that are supposed to be helpful with scar tissue and both are safe for that area.
I saw both at whole foods just yesterday. One is Rosa Moschata (it has a ton of vitamin C) and the other is good old fashioned vitamin E.
IMO it couldn't hurt to gently massage some onto your anus several times a day.
Why not ask your CRS about a referal for PT, like pelvic floor therapy...?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby queenofpain » 16 Feb 2012, 14:11

Thanks for the suggestions, Tanya. I will look into these items, and I definitely will bring up scar tissue issues to the CRS at my next visit. I was doing well with pain since about December 10, but irritated the area this past Monday. I probably should try the muscle relaxant he prescribed, but as soon as he prescribed it, I was doing much better. I just hate to put all these things in my body.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 16 Feb 2012, 14:16

I totally understand about hating meds.
I lost a whole year recovering from two weeks on Ativan (a benzodiazepine).
Now the nifedipine is giving me anxiety. I know I feel anxious anyways, but now I feel anxious even on good days and that just isn't normal for me. I can hardly wait til I can get off it, but since it seems to be working, that could be months. sucks!
But you know you might just need to take them for a short while for them to have a long term effect.
What kind of muscle relaxant is it?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby queenofpain » 16 Feb 2012, 14:28

Sorry these meds are causing you so much trouble. Narcotics make me dizzy and nauseous, so I had to ride the LIS pain out. For me, it was worse than fissure pain, which is hard to believe. At any rate, I should know the name of the muscle relaxant, but because I was doing well the day he prescribed it, and for 2 months thereafter, I haven't even looked at it. I have a tendency to "wait and see," in the hopes that the spasm will break. I tend to spasm for days or weeks at a time, though, and I almost like to guage it to assess whether I'm improving. He didn't think I'd need the relaxant in the morning, but I wake up in spasm, if the sphincter has been in spasm the night before. But, you're right, he said I don't need to take it regularly - only if I'm in spasm. I'll check the name tonight, and post it tomorrow.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist