If you had it to do over, would you choose surgery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: If you had it to do over, would you choose surgery?

Postby rasmith3530 » 23 Feb 2012, 22:15

Hey Melissa, I'm a two timer, AF wise. My first was a year ago, far less painful than the present one (you will see some of my posts around here). This time, when I finally got to my CRS, he took one peak and set a date. I'm going in on Monday for my LIS, and I am looking forward to what I hope will be another success story.
Per everything I've read, LIS is a pretty straight forward procedure, with a high rate of success, and low rate of problems, and even among those, most appear slight.
My CRS has 24 years of experience and is highly rated. That is in addition to my previous happy experience when he performed Colonoscopy and removal of four benign polyps last year. That procedure was totally painless for me.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Arafat » 24 Feb 2012, 08:37

Who ISNT scared of BM after anal surgery? But most of us have felt that the fear far outweighed the discomfort of the 1st BM. The cleaning is a nuisance i have to admit but u get used to it really quickly cuz u have no choice. We dont want complications. The one thing that IS difficult to overcome i stress and thats where this board helps sooo much. hopetoheal went through two separate surgeries after a fistula developed at her LIS incision site. But reading her posts allowed me to believe that no matter how tough times are you get through by sharing and caring:) I think of hopetoheal's care sense of humour through the difficult months of her recovery and i believe....that we all will heal and get on with our lives!
Arafat
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby PaulsPain » 24 Feb 2012, 20:11

I had a LIS a little over two years ago. I would do it over in a heart beat. I found out I have Crohn's and the surgery still provide me relief today if I have a fissure open up.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby wecc » 25 Feb 2012, 06:52

Hello All...
YES and I can kick myself for waiting over a year. However, I did not have an LIS. Read my post, I believe it says it all.....
http://anal-fissure.org/t4104-my-standardized-anal-dilatation-this-morning
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9