Had Surgery Yesterday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had Surgery Yesterday

Postby FishBoi » 21 Feb 2012, 12:59

After years of comtemplating with my superficial fissure, went through with the surgery yesterday. It is still very surreal to me. I was so nervous the night before that I only got 3 hours or so sleep. The entire ordeal went by so fast. Next thing I remember I was waking up in the recovery area and discharged to go.
Not much pain as I've been taking the meds my CRS prescribed. Actually he gave me Vicodin and this other NSAID drug. Only been taking the latter to help reduce swelling and this is only for 3 days. Haven't had to take Vicodin yet so I hope I won't need to.
I'm still very nervous about my first BM. I am having gas since yesterday. Not sure if it's from the procedure or the NSAID. I've taken Advil in the past and no issues, and I think this NSAID given to me is similar class of drug. I did take Miralax and will continue to do so. It's hard to tell if it's gas or BM. I've been passing gas since yesterday but luckily no cramps. I'm trying to relax waiting for my first BM....easier said then done.
I'm walking very gingerly and being careful. Just the thought of a cut down there is daunting for me. I'm hoping it will be smooth sailing from here.
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Had Surgery Yesterday

Postby MelissaB » 21 Feb 2012, 13:24

We are anxiously awaiting a quick recovery.
I too am considering surgery, so I'll be checking on this thread to see your updates.
Keep us posted and glad you seem to be doing quite well thus far! :D
MelissaB
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Feb 2012, 16:09

Hey Fishboi! Congratulations! Image Image
Welcome to the other side! Don't stress too much about the first BM (easier said than done, I know!). In many cases, the anxiety is worse than the actual poop. Just take those stool softeners religiously and when the time comes, take deep yoga breaths and let things happen. No pushing! With proper breathing and relaxing, the BM will happen. If the first one is a bit stubborn, you may want to try some Milk of Magnesia. Try to remember, from now on things will get better. You are now healing and not just coping with the pain. Soon all of this will be a distant memory :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Davo » 21 Feb 2012, 16:28

Well done Fishboi - really glad everything went ok with your surgery. I am going for LIS in two weeks time so i will be following your progress closely.
Just think within 2-4 weeks you should have your life back!
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 21 Feb 2012, 16:38

Hang in there, FishBoi -
I didn't have my first post-op bm until two days after my LIS and fissurectomy. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - but I faithfully took Miralax, watched my diet, and drank lots of water.
Take care . . . and like Davo said, in a few weeks, you'll be doing better.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby workingonit » 22 Feb 2012, 14:31

congrats fishboi!
look forward to your updates.
take care,
Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby workingonit » 22 Feb 2012, 15:14

I should mention I also have a superficial AF that just won't heal.
You were worried about the fissure being dormant for the surgery. What did your CRS say about that?
Hope you are having a good day
Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 22 Feb 2012, 15:24

woi/Tanya -
That was my situation, too. My AF wasn't terribly big or deep, but it was VERY painful and wouldn't heal, especially after it re-tore.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby FishBoi » 24 Feb 2012, 12:28

Hi Tanya,
My fissure was dormant on the day of the surgery, but my CRS said given the history of my retears he has seen he knows how much to cut. My fissure last June lasted 2 months and it left a faint scar that helped with the LIS. I've been seeing this CRS for 6 years on and off so I guess my file is pretty detalied...haha. He said he could do the LIS so I had to have faith in him.
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby workingonit » 24 Feb 2012, 12:37

Did he say why he thought LIS would help you?
I just wonder, because I don't have spasms, if it would help me if all else fails.
How are you feeling?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP