3.5 months post-LIS, possible abscess, very worried :-(

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3.5 months post-LIS, possible abscess, very worried :-(

Postby recoveringfiss » 05 Mar 2012, 00:17

I am 3.5 months post-LIS (Nov. 17). Fissure is completely healed. However, went to CRS 2 days ago because of foul-smelling odor and dull pain at incision site. CRS examined the area, and said that he thinks I have an abscess on the inside of my anus as a result of the incision wound not completely healing. The abscess is giving out pus, which is causing the odor. He stated that I would probably need a follow-up surgery to reopen the wound and clean it. However, I am really worried about getting another surgery, and I am going to schedule a 2nd opinion with another CRS. My CRS also said that I could wait a couple of months and see if it heals, as 30% of them heal on their own?
Not sure what to do- this is so frustrating, as I thought this was all behind me (pun intended :-/). Has anyone else been through anything this? Please share your experience, as it will greatly help. Thanks.
RF
recoveringfiss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: 3.5 months post-LIS, possible abscess, very worried :-(

Postby Savaici » 05 Mar 2012, 11:10

Hi there, RF,
If you go to the part of the forum entitled 'References, Web sites and Facts,' posting most current information on Anal Abcesses.
Hope you feel better soon.
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: 3.5 months post-LIS, possible abscess, very worried :-(

Postby Savaici » 05 Mar 2012, 11:28

RF,
I am sure others might have opinions on this (hopetoheal had an abcess and you could read her posts) - and I have not had an abcess myself - but this is what is recommended by the National Institute of Health in the US below. I am surprised that he would say that 30% heal on their own as cannot find that anywhere. Everywhere else suggests prompt treatment...
Treatment
The problem rarely goes away on its own. Treatment involves surgery to open and drain the abscess.
•Surgery is done using local numbing medicine, along with medicine to make you sleepy or spinal anesthesia. Surgery is an outpatient procedure. You will go home the same day.
•After surgery, you will need warm sitz baths (sitting in a tub of warm water). This may help relieve pain, reduce swelling, and may help make the abscess easier to drain.
Drained abscesses are usually left open and there are no stitches.
Your doctor may prescribe pain medication and antibiotics.
You may need stool softeners. Practice good hygiene and eat a soft or liquid diet until the abscess has healed.
Outlook (Prognosis)
With prompt treatment, people with this condition usually do well. Infants and toddlers usually recover very quickly.
Complications tend to occur when treatment is delayed.
Possible Complications
•Anal fistula
•Body-wide infection (sepsis)
•Continuing pain
•Problem keeps coming back (recurrence)
•Scars
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?