Almost 4 months and doing well

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Almost 4 months and doing well

Postby Jojo1 » 06 Mar 2012, 14:18

Just wanted to chime in with an update. I'm still doing very well. Had my three month follow up with my CRS last month and he said I'm looking good down there (of course, that's a relative term) and was open to discussing scheduling my regular colonoscopy.
I've not had any bleeding whatsoever - even though I'm on coumadin still. I still soak for 30-45 minutes after my morning movement. This has become a luxury for me and I don't expect to ever stop. I will soak again in the evening if there's been any tenderness or irritation during the day. I've had little to no pain, nothing beyond a nagging tenderness or irritation that can occur if I have 1-2 more movements in a day, which happens if I really overdo it on carbs (like mindless chip munching, etc.). I'm still using my moist wipes and my personal bidet and I'm still on the Miralax.
One big hurdle I passed was getting back on my calcium. I'm a bariatric patient and it is essential that I take my calcium (quite a big daily dose, actually) which causes constipation no matter the form you use. This is what triggered the first fissure and I've been absolutely terrified to death of getting back on it for fear of a recurrence. Not taking it is simply not an option. I started back on it immediately, but was nowhere near my needed dose. Finally bit the bullet and have been on my full dosage of calcium for a couple weeks now and with trial and error determined that 3/4 to a full dose of miralax at bedtime balances things out quite nicely. That is a big accomplishment for me as that fear was a mental barrier that I simply could not break through.
I knew I would be on Miralax for life and I knew that so many others had found the right combination to protect themselves so I could too, just really had to fight through that fear. I'm still paranoid about it, which will eventually go away I guess, but I'm glad to have crossed this hurdle and hope my healing will continue.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34

Re: Almost 4 months and doing well

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 07 Mar 2012, 00:14

That's great, Jojo -- it sounds like you've figured out how to keep your system regular, without any problems to speak of.
I was on Miralax (post Lis and fissurectomy) - also stool softeners - but my crs said I needed to wean myself off them and add fiber to my diet. When I told him the fiber bulked up my stools, he said that's what I need . . . hmmm, so, that's what I'm doing, BUT I've added prunes (which I don't like that much, but I'll eat them) - so, I seem to be doing okay.
I'll see my crs in two days. We shall see what he says. --- Anyhow, Jojo, I'm glad you're doing so well. We all hope to get there, to where the pain and discomfort just becomes a distant memory.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Jojo1 » 29 May 2012, 08:54

Just wanted to chime in with another update. It's been just over six months and I'm doing fine. Still no bleeding or pain to speak of with the exception of the occasional sensitivity if I indulge in too many carbs or sweets during a day.
Still taking my full calcium dose and my labs are improving, so I'm tickled about that. Still doing my long soack (usually about 45 minutes) after my morning movement which still occurs like clockwork around 4am.
I think I'm healing well, but I've heard it can take a year or two for that area to completely recover, skin integrity, elasticity, etc. as though the fissure never happened, so I'm still being pretty diligent with the water, fiber, soaks and occasional A&D ointment if I feel any itching, which has gotten much better.
The only thing I've questions about is that now, when I have to go, I feel a very uncomfortable pressure down there. It's even a slightly abrasive feeling and when I get up in the morning, I really only have about 5 minutes of standing upright before my body says, okay, gotta let this out.
I don't recall it feel that way prior to the fissure and I wonder if that in particular is ever going to stop or if that's because of the miralax too . . . I mean, I've never been concerned about having an accident, but it does feel very different than the natural bowel urge I've grown used to over the last 40 years . . . just wondering. Any ideas?
Jojo
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 29 May 2012, 10:41

Jojo1 wrote:Just wanted to chime in with another update. It's been just over six months and I'm doing fine. Still no bleeding or pain to speak of with the exception of the occasional sensitivity if I indulge in too many carbs or sweets during a day.
Still taking my full calcium dose and my labs are improving, so I'm tickled about that. Still doing my long soack (usually about 45 minutes) after my morning movement which still occurs like clockwork around 4am.
I think I'm healing well, but I've heard it can take a year or two for that area to completely recover, skin integrity, elasticity, etc. as though the fissure never happened, so I'm still being pretty diligent with the water, fiber, soaks and occasional A&D ointment if I feel any itching, which has gotten much better.
The only thing I've questions about is that now, when I have to go, I feel a very uncomfortable pressure down there. It's even a slightly abrasive feeling and when I get up in the morning, I really only have about 5 minutes of standing upright before my body says, okay, gotta let this out.
I don't recall it feel that way prior to the fissure and I wonder if that in particular is ever going to stop or if that's because of the miralax too . . . I mean, I've never been concerned about having an accident, but it does feel very different than the natural bowel urge I've grown used to over the last 40 years . . . just wondering. Any ideas?
Jojo

Jojo, I'm still on Miralax - and lately, it doesn't take much for my bms to happen in the morning (always in the morning). Sometimes all it takes is for me to get up in the a.m. and start moving around, and then the bm will come - or, it will happen right after I've eaten my Fiber One cereal. --- I'm thinking of cutting back the dose of Miralax I take.
What has your doc said about taking the Miralax? My current crs has not said to quit, but I've told him I'll cut down the dose, a bit.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Jojo1 » 29 May 2012, 13:10

Thanks for the reply. Of course, my CRS has said I can stop taking it, which I could if I were not taking calcium. I must take 2000mg of calcium per day in addition to whatever I get via food, so I will always have to take something to combat constipation and, unless they come out with something better (colace type products are NOT it), I will be using Miralax because I can adjust the dose and my understanding is it is safe for prolonged use.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 29 May 2012, 16:57

Jojo1 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Of course, my CRS has said I can stop taking it, which I could if I were not taking calcium. I must take 2000mg of calcium per day in addition to whatever I get via food, so I will always have to take something to combat constipation and, unless they come out with something better (colace type products are NOT it), I will be using Miralax because I can adjust the dose and my understanding is it is safe for prolonged use.

That's my understanding of it, too - that it is safe for prolonged use . . . I sure hope so, because I've been on it for about three months now.
I've had a tender tummy today, though - so, I'm still trying to find the balance - enough fiber with just enough Miralax.
I guess calcium is constipating . . .?
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Jojo1 » 20 Jun 2012, 08:09

Yes, calcium is definitely constipating . . . no matter what form you take it in. Hopefully, in time, they'll be able to do something about that.
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 20 Jun 2012, 09:01

Jojo1 wrote:Yes, calcium is definitely constipating . . . no matter what form you take it in. Hopefully, in time, they'll be able to do something about that.

Okay, thanks -- I didn't know that about calcium. The thing is, my ob/gyn has me on it . . . Well, like you said, maybe in time, they'll be able to do something about that. I've even read recent reports that high amounts of calcium supplements are unnecessary. Again, I don't know - I'm just following my gyn's instructions. Darned if we do, darned if we don't.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure