Traveling- need tips!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Traveling- need tips!

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 27 Mar 2012, 15:08

Unavoidable looks like we'll have to take a trip by car this weekend--- approx 8 hrs each way. I'll be bringing all my supplies and food to keep my AF under control!
Anyone have any tips for care while traveling?
What do you do when you have to use a public toilet? How can you clean up without the beloved sitz bath?
How can I be polite to my hosts without ignoring all my bathroom and diet needs? I think I'll have to be honest with them, so they aren't confused or offended when I spend half my day in the washroom!
I'm not looking forward to spending so much time in a car....
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Re: Traveling- need tips!

Postby workingonit » 27 Mar 2012, 18:57

I used a peri bottle, when traveling last xmas. Some here mention a portable bidet from amazon.com
kinda the same idea I think.
Other than the car ride, it's great to get away! Take your mind off things.
Have a fabulous time!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 28 Mar 2012, 04:46

No real tips but I'm keen to see the replies, I'm also travelling this weekend to my Dad`s as its his 50th birthday and its prob at least 4 hours can be more hours drive. They all know about my problem and my stepmums a nurse so she totally gets it so no odd questions but if we were going anyewhere else I'd struggle also like you I'd like to know how to keep clean if you know what I mean when travelling. Hope you have a great time once your there xx

Postby sailorgal » 28 Mar 2012, 05:00

when i travelled dealing with pain before and after my surgery. i was initially squeemish with sharing the details to my hosts, but hard to avoid considering how much time i was in the bathroom and my diet restrictions, but they were totally sympathetic to it. 2nd time i went was much easier from that standpoint, bcz i had already created my "comfort zone" there. Full pre-planning is very helpful bcz it at least eases the tension, nerves of being able to meet all of your needs. My boyfriend had a short conversation with our hosts before our arrival just as a head's up about food and if they have a bath tub, hot water.
the mornings that I travelled, i luckily didn't have a BM - as long as you aren't on too many stool softeners to give you urgency issues, you should be ok. It was helpful to learn that the body just knows when it can and will hold off on going. I didn't end up going until that first night or the following morning, which made me a little nervous - but again, was able to do my routine of things and the weekend (albeit physically uncomfortable due to the symptoms at times) was a hugely healing weekend, just to get out of the house and enjoy hanging out at a weekend get a way with friends. it does take courage, but again with the preplanning, it's worth it.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Grateful Ed » 28 Mar 2012, 12:57

I'd been travelling a bit (went to Portland & visited my inlaws) & it wasnt as bad as I'd feared. I didnt bring my squatting box but managed to improvise with what was around (bathroom tissue rolls or a box of laundry detergent worked fine) and it was easy to wash up in the shower afterwards. If you're going by car, bring a pillow to sit on. Sometimes I'll slouch way down in the car & kind of wedge my legs against the dashboard so my butt's kind of suspended- which works good if someone else is driving. I think it's OK to tell your hosts what's going on- you might be suprised that they have a sympathetic story! Also, if you're staying at a friend's house, you can treat yourself with a night at a nearby hotel & really unwind, take a bath ect. Pack all your supplies in a portable bag & have it with you just in case. If you have some relaxing music on an iPod or walkman, bring that & it'll help you chill out. I have dreams of going to Europe or South America this summer- I'm like "Fissure- be gone!!!" Usually the worrying is the worst part. :)
Grateful Ed
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 28 Mar 2012, 13:26

Thanks for the reassurance! I certainly hope nothing gets in the way of me enjoying myself.
I guess the worst of it would be if we needed an emergency poop stop while driving and I have to have an outdoor experience in the Rocky Mountains? I think the pain would be overshadowed by the view. Image
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17