new here, may have had fissure for 10 years

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new here, may have had fissure for 10 years

Postby leoo » 27 Mar 2012, 15:12

hey guys:)
a little history...
over 10 years ago at uni i would now and then suffer from itchy anus, spoke to a nurse at the uni who said it would be hems and gave me a mild cream. Thought nothing of it.
About 5 years ago, after having mild itchy periods now and then for the previous, years, i would get periods of really annooying itchyness. I tried creams, but noticed having a shower after a bm it would go away. So one day tried cleaning myself 30 mins after a bm, and it was like i hadn't cleaned myself properly, which i definetly had! So i scoured the net and came to the conclusion i had leaky butt and it was due to diet, tried loads of things until i found fiber solved the problem.
Now and then when i would drink or have a phase of eating lots of sugary foods i would get sticky stools and i'd get a bit of leakage. i lived with it, no big deal really.
I never had any pain, except on the ocassional big hard bm, a little blood with these, but no real pain at all. Just put it down to the harder big stool and thought everyone experienced the same.
This xmas had a pretty bad diet and the last 6 weeks have had sticky stools and leakage, was getting fed up so decided to visit my surgeon, who i'd only previously seen for my hiatus hernia. I'm in spain, surgeons here deal with the whole digestive tract. Explained to her, she examined me and said i had a small fissure.
SOOO, looks like i've had a recurring fissure for 10 years causing the leakage! luckily have had no pain, only symptom is the leakage. I say recurring as i've been through many periods of no leakage.
So i've got metamucil and some steroidal cream. Hoping it will still be able to heal it, guess if it's healed previously it will do again with the aid of the cream, the doc said it was small and didn't really seem worried that i'd had the leakage for so long.
I think if it came to it, with my low level of symptoms i'd probably opt not to have the surgery. My leakage is minimal also, just kinda niggles on my mind.
cheers
leoo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: new here, may have had fissure for 10 years

Postby workingonit » 01 Apr 2012, 09:35

Hi Leo,
Fissures cause leakage? I thought it is the other way around.
Perhaps the inflammation from the fissure would lead to the leakage?
I wouldn't use the steroid cream for too long as it can thin the skin and make matters worse. IMO. There are other topicals that are more effective in helping to heal fissures, like nitro, nifedipine and diltiazem.
Hope you are doing better!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34