Botox Not Working

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox Not Working

Postby Gypsy60 » 28 Mar 2012, 06:59

I had botox on the 20th of January this year for a chronic fissure & I have been in more agony after this than before. I have hardly left the house as it has been to painful to sit & there has been a lot of pressure to stand. Consultant wanted me to have another botox jab but I refused. He has now given me Diltiazem HCI ointment. Should it give you pain when you apply?? & how long before you should see any differance if it works. I am now desperate for the pain to stop, I am grateful for any advice
Gypsy60
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Botox Not Working

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 28 Mar 2012, 09:27

I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I haven't personally had Botox, but your experience of post-Botox pain is similar to those of many members of this forum, unfortunately. Be sure to search around this site (use the search box at the top and type in BOTOX). There is some great information on here and you will receive some great support and advice. Sometimes just knowing you are not alone can be a great help.
According to my CRS, the general rule with Diltiazem is that you should start seeing significant improvement within 2 weeks. If you don't see significant improvement within 2 weeks, it probably isn't going to work for you. If you do see improvement, you should continue to take it for at least 6 weeks (or whatever period of time your doctor prescribed it). In your case, I would continue to take it regardless. It is possible that the Diltiazem is working, even though it may not feel like it, if the pain you are experiencing is related to the Botox and not the fissure. However, if you aren't seeing any improvement after 2 weeks, or if your pain gets worse, I would go back and see your doctor.
In my opinion, it is a reasonable expectation to experience some pain when applying Diltiazem if you apply it directly to the fissure, as this can temporarily irritate the fissure. Imagine if you had a cut on your arm and applied medicine directly to it - it would likely hurt for a few minutes afterwards. However, the pain should subside shortly (15 minutes or so). There is a debate among doctors on whether or not it is necessary to apply the Diltiazem directly to the fissure or just around the anal opening. I use Nifedipine and I make sure that I apply it directly to the fissure AND the base of the anus. Sometimes I do experience some minor discomfort after applying it, so I just try to be as gentle as possible. I use my pinky when I apply it, and that works well for me. Some people use a Q-tip.
What else are you doing, other than taking the Diltiazem to help your fissure heal? If you tell us what you are doing, perhaps we can offer some additional tips to help you.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 28 Mar 2012, 13:18

I use Diltiazem and it used to burn like hell when I first applied it, because my fissure was fresh and open. Burning pain would last hours and hours. I stopped using it for awhile and concentrated on my diet for soft BMs until the fissure closed and it became bearable to apply it again. It also helped me to apply it a few hours ahead of my next expected BM, and never never immediately following a BM!
Now applying it only burns a little and not for too long. Or it makes me very very itchy (I'm going to ask my doctor about that).
I've been using it on and off since January and I'm not sure if its helping me or not anymore. My doctor will likely want to send me for Botox next, but it's looking very scary after things I've heard about it!!
Good luck with the Diltiazem! I sure hope you get great results!
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby Gypsy60 » 29 Mar 2012, 06:38

Thank you for your comments. Bad day again today Image
I have had this problem for a few years but the doctors have never really given me any advice or help until now. All they have said is to up my fibre intake & the Consultant will see me in 3 months Before the botox I was using rectogesic until I started to get a rash & itch. They have said the last option is to cut the muscle but they don't like doing this to females.
It was nice to find this forum & find I am not alone. I have been looking on here trying to get some tips on the things that work for others.
Gypsy60
Fibre Addict

Postby sailorgal » 29 Mar 2012, 06:56

Hi Gypsy,
I had Botox january 24th and have been recovering VERY slowly since then. Actually wasn't sure if I was healing at all the first month after Botox bcz of the continued pain, but things do seem to be getting a little better. When I inquired with my second opinion CRS about Botox he said that compared to other other chemical paralyzers it has a higher success rate (but doesn't mean they won't work - because he also prescribed me nifedipine to me 1 month post-op when i wasn't healing so well because my 1st CRS skipped the step of prescribing me any topical drugs and went straight to botox after trying 1 month of fiber and water).
As for how to know whether someone would need a 2nd Botox/when - he says that's really up to the patient on their comfort/desperation level. But that 2nd and 3rd Botox injections are not uncommon. Since I've already chosen the "Botox route" I would not hesitate to get 2nd or 3rd injections if the 1st injection did not give the desired results.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Sue27uk » 30 Mar 2012, 11:51

Hey Gypsy60, I'm sorry to hear the botox hasn't worked for you. Unfortunately I am in the same position as you. I had botox back in November and started getting spasms towards the end of January. I have been on rectogesic since as my 6 week follow-up is now on May 8th (!). I don't have much faith in botox and were they to suggest it again I would refuse. I want to op to be honest but they say they won't do it on me yet and it's a last resort for females of child bearing age. I don't know what to say to you to help, just though I would offer my support and let you know you are not alone! I've been suffering a year now, and its a year too long. Am fed up of this controlling my life :(
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Gypsy60 » 31 Mar 2012, 04:15

Still not any better today waiting for Diltiazem to start working. Botox definitely made things worse. Sure it caused another fissure. Would like to get my life back
Gypsy60
Fibre Addict

Postby Gypsy60 » 18 Apr 2012, 12:59

I had less pain before the botox than after.
It hurts with soft bm's as well as hard. Seems if there is a tiny amount left in the bowel it hurts like hell. Diltiazem not helping much :-(
Gypsy60
Fibre Addict