3 weeks post surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 3 weeks post surgery

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 02 Apr 2012, 16:36

Davo wrote:Hi Sweet,
Movicol is the UK equivalent of Miralax so i doubt you could get hold of it in the US.
Davo

Oh, okay, Davo. Thanks for clarifying that. Miralax is a white powder - and the best way I can get it down is to mix it with orange Gatorade. I can't taste it at all, that way.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby jax » 03 Apr 2012, 21:54

Sweet Bugaboo wrote:Hey, boys!
Sounds like you're both doing quite well, fanny wise - (and otherwise, too, I hope).
I am still on Miralax, though I've cut it down, a little. Fiber One in the morning, two Fiber One brownies per day, also - plus vegetables and just regular food - that's my daily regime.
It's taken me a good two months to get to this point, but I think (knock on wood) I'm really starting to feel normal again, and it's wonderful! Of course, I want to avoid anymore rear-end setbacks, like the plague!!, so I'm being very careful.
Rob - my latest crs told me I've had to be on a fiber supplement for the rest of my life (Konsyl, Metamucil, etc.). --- Davo, is Movicol sold here?

Was your fissure really bad? Why did he say you had to be on a fiber supplement for the rest of your life? Is that standard?
jax
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 03 Apr 2012, 22:12

jax wrote:
Sweet Bugaboo wrote:Hey, boys!
Sounds like you're both doing quite well, fanny wise - (and otherwise, too, I hope).
I am still on Miralax, though I've cut it down, a little. Fiber One in the morning, two Fiber One brownies per day, also - plus vegetables and just regular food - that's my daily regime.
It's taken me a good two months to get to this point, but I think (knock on wood) I'm really starting to feel normal again, and it's wonderful! Of course, I want to avoid anymore rear-end setbacks, like the plague!!, so I'm being very careful.
Rob - my latest crs told me I've had to be on a fiber supplement for the rest of my life (Konsyl, Metamucil, etc.). --- Davo, is Movicol sold here?

Was your fissure really bad? Why did he say you had to be on a fiber supplement for the rest of your life? Is that standard?

jax - I really don't know. The first crs I saw said my AF was fine. (I was in HORRENDOUS pain, too!). The second crs said, "Oh, you have a fissure - but it's about 1mm, so give it time and fiber - that's the long-term fix." Well, I went through 3 1/2 months of pain and agony - no blood, just pain - and finally, the third crs said that "any fissure that is bothersome is considered chronic, no matter whether the fissure is two weeks old or two years old." He also emphatically said that there were "no magic creams or potions" that would heal it. He said I had two choices - to live with it, or have the surgery. Four days' later, I was in the hospital, having my surgery.
The recovery has taken awhile - and the whole process (fissure, going through various crs's, waiting for the AF to heal, finally getting surgery, now going through post-op recovery) has taken six months and counting out of my life, at this point. But, I'm really glad to be on the other side of the surgery.
The fourth crs - my third crs is now in Afghanistan, serving military duty - is the one I've recently seen, for post-op checks, and he's the one who's said I will have to be on a fiber supplement for the rest of my life. It's not bad - I just mix up the Konsyl every day and quickly drink it. I also eat Fiber One cereal in the morning, plus 1-2 Fiber One brownies during the day. At night I'm still drinking a bit of Miralax, just to make sure things go smoothly. All of that is my current program, and it seems to be working alright.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Davo » 03 Apr 2012, 23:33

Sweet,
My Doctor said i need to increase my fibre intake for life too - this is not because of the fissure but because it keeps the bowels healthy and regular. So her comment applies to everyone and not just me.
If you are taking a supplement that would normally mean you aren't eating enough fibre during the day in the first place. If you eat plenty of brown bread, bran, fruit & veg, etc. then i cant see why you would also need to take a supplement as this would bulk up your stools and give you wind.
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 03 Apr 2012, 23:57

Davo wrote:Sweet,
My Doctor said i need to increase my fibre intake for life too - this is not because of the fissure but because it keeps the bowels healthy and regular. So her comment applies to everyone and not just me.
If you are taking a supplement that would normally mean you aren't eating enough fibre during the day in the first place. If you eat plenty of brown bread, bran, fruit & veg, etc. then i cant see why you would also need to take a supplement as this would bulk up your stools and give you wind.
Davo

I know, Davo . . . I can't quite figure out the right balance, yet . . .
On my current program (mentioned above), things are okay, so far -- but I'd really like to cut out some of the fiber -- I mean, I'm eating it at breakfast, a little during the day, and also drinking the supplement. If I weren't also drinking the Miralax, I think my stools would be way too bulky. So, I don't quite know what to subtract, add, etc., in order to find the right formula for myself . . .
I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure