To have surgery or not?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

To have surgery or not?

Postby peachy » 02 Apr 2012, 07:41

Hi,
New here never used a forum before so here goes! I have had a fissure for ( i know now) about 18 months, I thought it was just piles till i plucked up the courage to see GP. Pescribed the usual creams, rectogese? and and another one di... (can't remember full name) both made no difference over the 4 months. Surgen recomends spinctotomy now. But here is the advise I need quite quickly, I saw him friday and he said he would operate this thursday, exactly 3 week post surgery I am away on holiday flying for app 16 hours each way, he assured me this will all be ok and I will be back to normal. Having been for my preop check today I am now not sure if I should go ahead, what if there a complication like infection, what is access to loo is not easy? Reallly not sure what to do, will have pain either way casue fissure is painful and is worse some days, bath after BM/ice etc.
Please if any one has had this op, should I have it done so close to hols??
peachy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: To have surgery or not?

Postby Davo » 02 Apr 2012, 08:06

Hi,
I had LIS surgery 19 days ago and I would have no problem jumping on a 16 hour flight today (apart from the in-flight boredom of course)
I guess it all depends upon the individual though, i know some people take longer than others to heal and so this maybe too soon for some people to handle.
The information below is taken from the sphincterotomy.net website:
I hope this helps
Davo
---------------------
Week 1
This is the week of patience as you will probably not see any improvement to your condition. In fact, you may still be in pain during this week. Taking care of personal hygiene is important during this time to avoid infection. You should also continue with medication prescribed and visit your doctor regularly.
Week 2
You most probably see some improvement during BM during this week. A key to recovery is to make sure you have enough of liquid and fiber intake to prevent hard stools.
Week 3
This is the week of healing. BM will be smooth and with little pain (or none at all). You could probably start doing some normal activities during this week. However, care should still be taken to continous healing.
Week 4 thereafter
After this week, you should be able to start work and your normal activities again. You should feel glad that you took sphincterotomy. BM is painless and spasms rarely occur. Although full recovery may take up to 2 months, with the right care, many sphincterotomy patients see recovery much earlier.
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby peachy » 02 Apr 2012, 08:14

Thanks Davo for your promt reply, really need to think over the next 24 hours. The idea of being fissure free for the hol sound great, but I am worried I could be one of the minority that has a problem, don't want it to prevent me going, erring towards delaying 'just in case'
peachy
Fibre Addict

Postby peachy » 02 Apr 2012, 08:16

ps biggy expencise hol too to celebrate 25th wedding aniversary, so really can't risk spoling it. if it were 'normal' hol by pool etc might take risk. Insurance co might take dim view if i run into trouble out there.
peachy
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 02 Apr 2012, 08:26

Peachy,
In my opinion if you are just going for LIS then i would say still go for it before your trip however if you are needing a fissurectomy then i would probably postpone it until after your trip.
I postponed my LIS because i would have been visiting Italy 1.5 weeks after my surgery. My surgeon said i should allow two weeks before travelling overseas however my flight was only 2 hours long.
If you can i would probably try and discuss it with your CRS first and let him make the call.
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby workingonit » 02 Apr 2012, 11:37

Hey Peachy,
I agree with Davo. 'Course I have not had an LIS. But if you read all the experiences on this board, just an LIS heals pretty quick. But an LIS plus other snipping (hemmies or fissurectomy), will take twice as long to heal. Can you ask your doc if he expects to do more than just an LIS?
What about bathroom stuff Davo? Have you been able to push at all yet?
Wow 25 years! That's special. My 11th is in a couple weeks. SO sorry you have to deal with this a such a time!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby peachy » 02 Apr 2012, 13:43

Thanks for all you kind replys. All happen very quick only saw consultant on friday for follow up for results of another fun diagnostic procedure, deficating proctogram! what they do is in the name!! Have a large rectocele caused by the hesitation to BM to be delt with by gyne, but gasto said come in next week to fix fissure! so all a bit quick. Spoken to hospital and they explained that until i am there and under the consultant won't decide what to do, kinda depends on what he finds they explained, so could be more than LIS without me knowing till I wake up hence nervious to take risk. Think I have decided to postpone a few weeks to May, other half will be able to take more time off then too! (thank god for private insurance) I will also have seen gyne by may so will have the 'bigger' picture so to speak.
Better the devil I know on hols I think:evil:
peachy
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 02 Apr 2012, 14:00

That makes sense Peachy,
Sorry it will take that long though.
In the mean time, you might try aloe vera gel. It is a wee bit of a pain killer. I tried it straight from the plant and felt pain free for a whole day, but then I got a bit of a rash from it. But the processed stuff doesn't seem to give me a rash.
If you get spasms, you could look up self dilation.
Have you tried movicol to keep BMs soft? I use metamucil and prune juice myself, but a lot of people here depend on movicol/miralax to be sure.
DO you have an electric heating pad? They are the best for sitting on and relaxing and easing the soreness.
Is the Gastro guy the same as a proctologist?
Why can't he deal with the rectocele?
Good luck with your decision. That's a tough one!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby peachy » 03 Apr 2012, 11:01

Hi Tanya, thanks for the helpful advise, have just stocked up on movicol didn't realise it was off prescription. Have previously be prescribed lactolose and fybergel. Will try aloe vera and will take a cushion with me for long train/coach journeys!
Having slept on it am happy with delaying, hubby is too, not too long a delay rescheduled for 10 days after return. Guy who did protogram was a DR and sent a report on his findings to gastro. proto guy said i had large rectocele at the time but gastro reported to me that the finding was that my bowel was sluggish and the muscles don't work in the right way? not surprised after 2 years of not wanting to BM!! he suggested Biofeedback to 'retrain' the bowel? it dosn't need retraining I need to be able to BM without feeling like i am passing broken glass!!! hence he took my point and sad he would do the LIS. He can't treat the recotcele which he didn't really think was a problem?? hence the referral to gyne, maybe it just my area that works like this? Any how females be warned don't leave your fissure too long before seeing GP or you may end up like me with your pelvic floor damaged too due to straining. so whoopee poss another op later in the year.
Davo, will let you know what Peru is like!
peachy
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 03 Apr 2012, 11:57

Hey Peachy,
I have heard good things about biofeedback here.
http://anal-fissure.org/t2402-biofeedback?highlight=biofeedback
http://anal-fissure.org/t2260-pelvic-floor-dysfunction
I know there was someone else recently, but I can't seem to find it...
There is another lady here with a small rectocele.
http://anal-fissure.org/t4596p15-my-not-lis-diary-my-af-excision-diary
You know, sometimes even when you do seek help, you get misdiagnosed and a lot of surgeons don't inform their patients about what exactly a fissure is and how prevent one and heal one, etc. It's truly frustrating.
I've grown to hate doctors in general.
It seems most of the time they are just 'tits on a bull'.
But anyways, Glad they are taking you seriously!
Have a wonderful time in Peru!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP