Terrified of passing stool...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Terrified of passing stool...

Postby jr2 » 15 Apr 2012, 18:26

Yes, getting the bowel movements the right consistency, etc., makes us all feel a little like a mad scientist with all the combinations and concoctions we experiment with. And unfortunately while we're experimenting and trying to figure it out the fissure isn't exactly going on vacation until we get it sorted.
The ingredients are pretty typical for a hemorrhoid ointment. I would avoid it because of the vasoconstrictor. You want to promote healing of the fissure by increased circulation in the anal area, not constrict the blood vessels. The nitroglycerin, nifedipine or diltiazem all relax the sphincter and also increase circulation to the area.
You'd be better off trying something that is just emollient and protective until you can get yourself sorted with a prescription.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Baba » 15 Apr 2012, 20:04

When I suspect a hard stool coming on I use a small bulb enema to put several oz of warm water up there; wait at least 20-30 min for the stool to soften and then go. I attribute that to helping heal my fissure a lot.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Davo » 16 Apr 2012, 15:09

Hi,
As said above the key is to keep stools as soft as possible by drinking plenty of water, eating lots of fibre (to prevent straining) and taking Miralax (this acts as a stool softener)
So now over to your pain.
Firstly nitroglycerin, nifedipine, and diltiazem will not give you any pain relief during your BM - these basically relax the sphincter and prevent the spasms that follow the BM. They will however give you the best chance of healing your AF without resorting to surgery.
You need to apply an ointment named Lidocaine directly to the fissure a few minutes before your BM. Lidocaine is an anaesthetic gel which also acts as a lubricant to help aid movement in the same way as vaseline would. In the UK this is available over the counter and i am presuming you could pick it up from any drug store in the US
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby NeonISkies » 16 Apr 2012, 21:40

Well it's been 4 days so far since a movement has occured and i called my doctor, he gave me the information for the G.I. Doctor, and also told me i should take Magnesium Citrate... Any information you can give me on this? from what i understand it is basically just an extremely strong laxative... kind of stuff they use before colonoscopy's...
I need to pass this stool today or tomorrow it has to happen I'm to full... I attempt to go even just a little bit and i start getting severe pain already even before the stool reaches any air of the outside world. *Note*(This is after lubrication)... I'm scared to take the Magnesium Citrate like petrified, I'm afraid it will end up tearing me to the point of surgery... Basically, i need to soften this front end of stool enough to throw on a glove and pull out, because It's definitely not coming out without some manual assistance.
I was told that the magnesium citrate should produce stool with watery consistency by a pharmacist and I'm praying that's what it does but I'm scared to take it if it doesn't because i know no matter what it will make me go. The pharmacist also told me to take stool softeners 3-4 hours before to be safe so i just took the stool softeners about 10:00pm... I'm supposed to work tomorrow so I'm thinking about taking the Mag Citrate tonight or early tomorrow... Any information would be a god send..
Last edited by NeonISkies on 16 Apr 2012, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
NeonISkies
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 16 Apr 2012, 21:51

oh man. I'm so sorry to hear you are having such a rough time.. I don't have experience with the magnesium citrate, though the magnesium will draw water into the stool... I wonder if you could ask your doctor if additionally an enema might help soften things up from the bottom end?
jr2

Postby NeonISkies » 16 Apr 2012, 21:53

Rough being the keyword and i appreciate it... I'm thinking of going out and buying an enema bulb and trying a good old fashioned warm water enema... I appreciate the post...
NeonISkies
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 16 Apr 2012, 22:14

While you're there you might want to pick up a cream with a local anesthetic in it as Davo suggested. I've never found local anesthetics helpful myself, but if you've never tried it, who knows. Wishing you the best, and that it isn't too horrible for you. Please keep us updated.
jr2

Postby NeonISkies » 16 Apr 2012, 22:43

I cannot find any over the counter numbing agents... they don't exist where i am at... everyone of those suggested are by prescription only...
NeonISkies
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 16 Apr 2012, 22:51

you should be able to find a different type of local anesthetic over the counter. You won't be able to get lidocaine or xylocaine, but benzocaine products are available over the counter and are common in the US and you should be able to find one in any pharmacy like CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc.
jr2

Postby NeonISkies » 16 Apr 2012, 22:55

no nothing i tried CVS and Walgreens neither had much or anything... I was contemplating oragel since it is at least the kind i have 10% benzocain... and obviously if it can be put into the mouth it cant be too toxic..
NeonISkies
Fibre Addict