Need help - stitch holding abscess open came out

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Need help - stitch holding abscess open came out

Postby PamJ » 21 Apr 2012, 10:53

Hi everyone.
My question. In all of your experiences, is a stitch coming out 9 days after surgery on an abscess a problem?
Background. My college-age son had his second surgery for an abscess that won't go away (keeps building up pressure from fluid, bursting, pressure relieved for a while, then starts cycle again). CRS was also looking for a fistula, but if there is one, he can't find the internal opening. Anyway, with this second surgery the CRS cleaned out the abscess area again, opened it up a lot and put in one stitch to help hold it open until it could heal from the inside out. He had his follow-up yesterday at 8 days after surgery and all looked good. He was scheduled for another follow-up in a month. He had planned to go back to college tomorrow for his last two weeks (two hours out of town).
This morning, that one stitch came out. And, of course, it's Saturday. I did call and the nurse practitioner on call said no big deal, just call Monday and see if they want to see him. Everything seemed to be going so much better this surgery (on the last one the only thing the CRS did was drain and clean out the abscess).
Any advice or help would be appreciated. He's kind of worried now that it will heal too quickly and the cycle will start all over again.
Thank you!!
Pam
PamJ

Topics: 1