Anyone ever had surgeon recommend Rectogesic AFTER op?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Anyone ever had surgeon recommend Rectogesic AFTER op?

Postby MistahJ » 21 Apr 2012, 18:02

I had my 3 week post-op appointment with my surgeon a few days ago where I expressed my concern with
* how slowly the healing process seemed to be progressing (fissure pain continuing if somewhat less)
* the fact that I don't believe I'm getting spasms as such but the anal region is still feeling rather 'tight'
His explanation for the slow healing process was that during the pre-op internal exam the fissure not only tore open again but tore open WIDER than before. He claims this was unavoidable as there had been considerable narrowing of the anal passage due to the condition and there was simply no way to do the internal exam without it breaking open again. So essentially the fissure I came out with was worse than the one I went in with and it will take longer to heal.
But now that I have had a few days to think on it I find one of his suggestions on the day a bit strange. He told me to start using Rectogesic ointment again, "which will get you over the finish-line just that little bit quicker". I thought that the LIS was supposed to do the same job as the Rectogesic only so much better? I mean the op is supposed to be the 'gold standard' treatment right? Why would he suggest this course of action unless he suspects he didn't cut enough?
Has anyone else had their surgeon suggest this?
MistahJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Anyone ever had surgeon recommend Rectogesic AFTER op?

Postby teacherel » 22 Apr 2012, 10:54

Hi I just had an anal stretch and skin tag removed to try and heal my fissure. I also have to use rectogestic cream after my procedure. Im 4 days post op now and still feel like hell, actually worse.. I hope it gets better soon cause Im at my wits end.
teacherel
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby MelissaB » 22 Apr 2012, 13:52

MistahJ is your crs board certified? I agree that that does sound strange. So sorry your healing is going so slowly. That must be so frustrating.
MelissaB
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby MistahJ » 23 Apr 2012, 21:27

Yes, as far I know, Melissa.
Any thoughts from anyone else? Please?
MistahJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4