Dr's visit and a few questions...pls read

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Dr's visit and a few questions...pls read

Postby pgre » 22 Apr 2012, 11:20

Hi everyone,
I went to the dr's yesterday, my 3rd GP since this ordeal started in Nov. He said to just continue with the miralax and in the mean time he would give me a referral to a GI. I asked if he could send me to a CRS, he said only the GI could do that.
I also asked about the various topical ointments(diltiazem, nitro and nifedipine). He said he couldn't prescribe those as my BP is already low(115/65). That doesn't seem like a good enough reason, I don' think my blood pressure is low , it's the norm for me as I feel perfectly fine.
I was wondering if I do get the GI dr to prescribe one of the ointments , do I still have a chance of healing as it's already been almost 6 months since this fissure started?
Also I started using manuka honey 2 days I ago, does it have to be applied internally for it to work?
Thanks
Last edited by pgre on 22 Apr 2012, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
pgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Dr's visit and a few questions...pls read

Postby jr2 » 22 Apr 2012, 12:38

Hi pgre
If the honey is going to work for you, you do have to get it on the fissure itself, so depending on how far in it is, that will determine how far in you need to apply it.
There is always hope for healing, even with longstanding fissures. I've suffered with them for years, and up until this latest bout, they always healed eventually, even many many months later. I don't know if I will be successful this time or not, but we have to keep trying and keep hoping while we're waiting for these appointments.
I don't understand why your doctor thought the topicals would be a problem with your blood pressure. I had to investigate that pretty thoroughly myself with my doctors because I have low blood pressure problems (sometimes it dips to about 85/55). My doctors assured me you just don't absorb enough of the medicine into your bloodstream to impact blood pressure. The majority of the effect of the drug is local. And they've been right. In all the months i used nifedipine, sometimes heavy usage up to 5 or 6 times a day, it never had any effect on my blood pressure. I can't use nitroglycerin though because of migraines, so I don't know about the effects of that on BP when used locally. But both diltiazem and nifedipine caused no trouble in the BP department for me. I switched from diltiazem to nifedipine due to skin irritation from the diltiazem.
Hopefully your next appointment will get you started moving forward.
jr2

Topics: 15

Re: Dr's visit and a few questions...pls read

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 22 Apr 2012, 17:27

I agree with jr2. My blood pressure if often about the same or lower than yours and none of my CRS's have ever expressed any concern about using topical ointments. I think your doctor may be misinformed.
I would definitely see if you can find a way to skip the GI doctor and go straight to a CRS, if at all possible.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8