Hoping for no recurrence!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Hoping for no recurrence!

Postby 3d3n » 30 Apr 2012, 21:51

Greetings,
I'm a 27 year old guy from Turkey. Prior to my fissure, my lifestyle had no healthy food.. none at all.. some fruits occasionally perhaps, and most of the time I drank alcohol daily & only ate meat or other processed food.. 2 months ago when I had my fissure, I saw this as a sign from my body's cry-out for help. I made massive changes in my lifestyle and diet, and today, I can happily say that after 2 months, my fissure is gone!
I just wanted to make an account here to share my lil' story with you guys, what worked etc.. So here's how it began;
I mostly only ate fast food & a lot of pizza.. I sometimes ate whole 2-3 medium-sized pizzas per day.. I also drank 1.5 liters of coke zero per day along with it.. up until 2 months ago, I didn't have a fissure.. 2 months ago, - it was around the end of February (last week of it I think) - I couldn't have a BM for 3 days.. then after 3 days I had to go so bad one morning, and I tried to sit in the bathroom and have a BM.. I waited a very long time with mild pushing all to no avail.. then I started pushing really hard, like some invisible hand squeezing my bottom like a toothpaste to get it out.. The stool was so huge and rock solid, it got stuck right around the tip of my anus with a little of it hanging out.. I struggled more to pass it and that's when I first felt that burning feeling.. it was mild, so I thought probably from spicy fast food yesterday.. then the morning after, that's when the poop literally hit the fan.. Image I had one of the most intense experiences of pain my life.. I didn't know what to do.. There was no blood in my stool, but I had that immense pain after I had the BM the day after.. During the first month I tried to treat myself at home since I didn't have any social security. During the first two days I used a laxative named Bekunis, which helped greatly in the beginning.. it didn't even cause diarrhea, I think mostly because I had too much constipation the stool got only softened instead of runny..
I only had a healthy diet full of vegetables.. I wasn't taking any sitz baths because I didn't educate myself well on the subject.. so after 2 weeks and it didn't heal and after a lot of research on the net, I started taking my sitz baths, 2 sometimes 3 times a day for 30 minutes each.. with no salt or anything else.. They helped immensely. (I have to say though, you have to keep them as long as 1 hour per day in total for them to work better) Other than eating vegetables and fruits, I forced myself to have a BM everyday since it would be much worse if I didn't endure the pain during daily BMs.. However I have to say that I feel really lucky because I never had the amount of pain I had during the first two days of my fissure.
At the beginning of the third week, my symptoms during a BM were gone and I was thinking that I had been out of the woods.. It was just fine for a week, yet at the beginning of fourth week, it came back because I had a little hard stool..I got depressed, and so much that I can surely say that if someone already has suicidal tendencies, this condition is just the last drop.. I couldn't sit down for more than 3 minutes, I didn't enjoy anything I did.. Even breathing seemed a burden to me.. fortunately I'm outta work right now because I'm kinda sure it would be so much worse..
So eventually, I went to a doctor around here who's renowned for his hemorrhoid treatments and has his own private place. He just took a peek by sliding my bottom sideways with his fingers and confirmed the fissure. After this, he said he will perform an operation for dilating and injected a sedative to my anus to begin the operation.. it was mostly painless and I was bandaged there for a day. He told me the fissure will heal in approximately 3 weeks and scheduled a follow-up for it. There was blood on the gauge & the cotton after removing it the next day by sitting in hot water and softening it.
In the following 3 weeks my breakfast lunch & dinner was exactly like this:
Morning = 1 cup of leek soup (I can't stress the importance of this plant enough, it literally IS a life-saver! It softens your stool right away and makes it have a mind of its own to leave your bowels), 1 egg, sliced cucumber & tomatoes on a plate (without any salt)
Lunch = 2 or 3 oranges (if you have this during spring/summer, I'm pretty sure strawberries or other fruits would be a great substitute, I'm having them now :)
Dinner = leek soup again if you want, or you can eat leek cooked with olive oil.. and if you don't want leek again, rice of wheat grains..
I had this same diet for a long time and I had ZERO need of pushing..
Between meals I had sitz bath in a washbowl 2 times a day, since I didn't have a tub in my home. I listened to my pocket radio while sitting in the bowl as I couldn't read a book because it got too wet since I had to add more hot water from a bucket to keep it hot..
During all this time I searched the internet over and over and over and I saw how much people are suffering from this illness and never got breathing room because they're in fear it will come back once again.. I thought I could never heal (it's a big mistake, it really interferes with your body's ability to heal itself) etc..
exactly 3 days right after the operation the doc performed me my symptoms again disappeared during BMs.. I thought there's no light at the end of the tunnel & I'm still going through the same phase..
After 3 weeks of sitz baths, I finally went to the doc to get checked.. He performed a finger exam and rolled his finger inside gently to check if I still have a fissure.. He said that I'M HEALED.. I couldn't believe it because of my depressed state but I knew things were going much better upto that point since I could finally sit down without having issues at the 3rd week of my treatment.. I had the occasional needle pinch feeling during the day once or twice..
Now I can safely say that it's finally gone! The point of me sharing my story was, no matter how desperate and helpless you think you are, you shouldn't give up on yourself. And I have to underline the fact that sitz baths ARE what really cures this thing more than anything else.. I didn't use the topical GTN or anything else for this.. I didn't even use laxatives after 3 days during my initial stages, before seeing the doctor...
After cutting off the caffeine, alcohol & processed meals and sticking to LEEK, fruits and rice of wheat grains.. it took its sweet time that's for sure but, it got HEALED..
Now I'm finally enjoying myself and praying that I don't get it again, and I can't say how lucky I am to be healed just after 2 months from this illness..
The sole reason why I shared all this is, for to tell you: NEVER GIVE UP! Don't be hard on yourself too.. Because at the end of the day, it's only you who can make this healing happen..
Last edited by 3d3n on 01 May 2012, 10:46, edited 3 times in total.
3d3n

Topics: 1

Re: Hoping for no recurrence!

Postby BillUltra » 01 May 2012, 09:46

Thank you for this story of hope! A couple of weeks ago I was totally unable to control the hardness of my bm's and the pain was bad I was truly questioning would life ever be worth living again. Thanks to suggestions from others on this forum, and abandoning the dietary advice of BOTH of my doctors, I am currently pain free and feel like I'm well on my road to recovery. Brown rice dowsed in olive oil, covered by green pea soup was the holy grail for me. Maybe I should try leeks too (whatever that is!)
Congrats on making it! And thanks again for sharing.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby workingonit » 01 May 2012, 19:03

COngratulations!
I love leek soup!
SO glad you were able to find a doctor to help, and to get control of your diet too.
Thanks for sharing your success story. It makes my day to read about someone else recovering!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby jr2 » 01 May 2012, 21:42

Hooray for healing! So glad for your success!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby De819 » 02 May 2012, 20:58

This type of thing is why I keep fighting.
De819
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2