1 week today since LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

1 week today since LIS

Postby Bottominal Blues » 08 May 2012, 11:10

Well, one week ago today I was leaving the hospital after LIS. Do I feel better? It is hard to say as the weeks before the surgery I actually felt pretty good, so I even questioned why I was doing it....but then I remembered those days and nights when I could get no relief from the spasms and a couple times I wished, well, I don't want to say what I wished. Anyway, one thing for sure, I am glad I took 2 weeks off work. The surgeon had said I could go back to work on Monday, there is no way. I am still really sore after a BM and you know, when you have to go, you have to go. I don't have that luxury at work. It is rush in and rush out, no time to clean up... I take at least 2-4 extra strength tylenol a day and at least 3 sitz baths. I sit on the heating pad and nap. I tried going to the grocery shop for a few things yesterday, but found the walking was really sore and I suffered a bit when I got home for an hour or so. But next monday I am back to work and worried about that. I guess another week of healing will hopefully make things better. I am assuming the pain is from the incision and not spasms. I am taking the Colace the surgeon recommended and still take Restoralax each night. Perhaps if I take these things earlier in the night I can get my BM's onto a schedule that suits work...any suggestions? Anne
Bottominal Blues
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: 1 week today since LIS

Postby 44alegna44 » 08 May 2012, 11:57

Hi Anne,
It sounds to me like a totally normal recovery so far Image . There was definite soreness for me, sitting was not an option the first week, it was more of a leaning on one side or the other or just plain laying down. For me I knew the pain I felt was from surgery, it was 100% different from the spasming before. From what you said, I'm assuming your spasms were relatively as brutal as mine Image , so you'd know if you were still getting them...more than likely it's just post-op surgical pain. Image
I take my miralax around 7:00 pm which is soon after dinner...my addt'l 2 stool softeners I take around 9:00pm...this 95% of the time, ensures an early morning bm for me....generally right after my morning coffee around 8:00am
So happy to know you're home recovering and that you got that additional week, that's gonna be a big help to move things along for you. Just please take advantage of that time, and rest as much as you can Image .
Best Wishes for Your Successful Healing and Recovery Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

getting on schedule

Postby Bottominal Blues » 08 May 2012, 16:47

Thanks Angel, it is 6:45 and I am going to take my restorolax now and my colace later and see what happens! It is reassuring to hear that your recovery was similar to mine has been so far! I guess I was hoping my recovery would go the same route as Davo's....seemed like a dream (but I know I am alot older than him!). Cheers for now!
Anne
Bottominal Blues
Salt Bather

Topics: 10