So glad I'm not alone

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

So glad I'm not alone

Postby CCL125 » 10 May 2012, 09:38

This is my first visit to the forum and now realize just how many people "silently" suffer with anal fissures. Even working in the medical field, the subject can be uncomfortable and slightly embarrassing to explain (I'm not so embarrassed as I've wipe many bottoms in my day!)
This is my first anal fissure and I am doing everything possible to make it my last. It has been an issure for about three weeks now. Lots of sitz baths, fiber, water, ibuoprofen, and walking seem to be of some help. Plus I saw a colo-rectal surgeon and he prescribed nitroglycerin cream to the fissure. The number one thing I can pass along is to RELAX!!! when trying to have a bowel movement I know this is much easier said than done but taking slow, deep breaths, sitz baths, listening to the radio or looking at something comedic online (thank God for smart phones) has been benefical to me so far.
As one person described it, it's like pooping shards on glass. But the longer you hold off, the worse the constipation will be. Good luck to my fellow sufferers and remember that you are NOT alone!
CCL125

Topics: 2

Re: So glad I'm not alone

Postby jr2 » 10 May 2012, 10:35

CCL
I'm so sorry you're having to cope with a fissure too, but your story really points out how important it is to get on top of treating a fissure as quickly as possible.
Thank you for making the point about relaxing during bowel movements. The pain, and the fear of the pain, make the muscles so tense, and the internal sphincter which we have no control over is tight enough in the presence of a fissure that anything we can do to relax is essential. Deep abdominal breathing and putting my feet on a foot stool really help with this for me.
Best wishes for speedy healing!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby workingonit » 10 May 2012, 19:26

I find sipping water to help with a BM too. It is distracting and I think it also triggers the muscles down there too.
I read that the act of chewing can be a trigger too.
Not that I'm going to eat my lunch on the pot! lol :D
Hope you feel better soon!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby BillUltra » 16 May 2012, 11:03

The support I have found on this forum has been very therapeutic. And I agree: Thank God for smart phones! I've accumulated over $300,000 in fake dollars playing Solitaire, putting my mind on something other than the pain I was feeling on the toilet. And I'm not that good at Solitaire.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19