trying to get my fibre right

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

trying to get my fibre right

Postby NewMummy » 18 May 2012, 22:48

Hi, I am a bit new to this whole issue and have for the last 3 weeks tried to change my diet to get the toothpaste poop everyone here so desperately wants. I'm a bit stuck at the moment, can someone comment on my diet and suggest what I can do??? Currently my poos are a touch on the bulky side and instead of coming out in one smooth chunk they sortof come out bit by bit with gas in between if that makes sense. I am wondering if I'm still getting too much fibre overall and especially too much insoluble fibre. I have been trying to cut back on fibre and eat more soluble because I definetly had too much bulk a while ago. it's been progress but I still think stools need more tooth paste consistency...only then will I have the guts to cut out stool softeners. Anyways, this is what I currently eat:
Breakfast:
1 mandarin
Corn flakes w/goat milk
vit C, Magnesium 200mg, 20ml Aloe vera juice, half a glass prune juice, probiotics, 1 tablespoon flax seed
Snack: 4 prunes, 4 dried apricots
Lunch: I mush up 1/2 can kidney beans, 1/2 avocado, one egg or a tin of tuna, 1/2 tin of peas and carrots
Snack: Some tablespoons of yoghurt, some melon or grated apple and carrot salad
Dinner:Chicken/vegetable soup with a lot of root vegetables and rice, or fish/chicken/turkey with mashed veggies again with rice and a lot of root vegetables and peel off to reduce the insoluble fibre content.
Magnesium 200mg, 20ml Aloe vera juice, half a glass prune juice, 1 tablespoon flax seed
If I'm still hungry at night time I have one more piece of fruit...kiwi, mandarine or pear and some yoghurt.
Oh..I should probably say that I'm breastfeeding at the moment and have never ever ever had constipation as I've always eaten lots of fruit and veggies...the fissure came a month after giving birth and I have no idea why although I suspect hemmorhoids that also came from the birth. I also drink 5-6L of water each day, including during the night when I breastfeed. I know I eat a fair bit compared to some other people here but I get hungry because of the breastfeeding and feel I'm not going to produce enough milk if I starve myself...so if I have too much fibre what on earth can I substitute it with to reduce my fibre intake???
Thanks!!!
NewMummy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: trying to get my fibre right

Postby jr2 » 18 May 2012, 23:05

Hi newMummy!
I'm so sorry you're dealing with a fissure. It can definitely take a lot of experimenting to find a diet that works with your system. Everyone is so different. The only thing I see is that you are taking flaxseed, which is much heavier on insoluble fiber than it is on soluble fiber. You might want to try making some adjustment down in that regard to see if it helps.. If you still want the health benefits of flax you could use flaxseed oil instead, which might also give a bit of stool softening.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Fissulyna » 19 May 2012, 01:37

Oh yes Image , it is sooo hard to make poop "perfect" , I never succeeded making it "toothpaste like" , although I also was never constipated in my life - I still had hard time making it that ideal :( . BUT, on the other hand I was scared of using "softeners" .
Your diet is very healthy !!!!! And you do not eat "too much" by any means and ESPECIALLY not for a lactating mother - you have to eat Image
Rice was never good for me though, actually it has "stiffening" property since it is a "starchy" food and is "sticky" . Some people have no problem with rice though - I just preferred to stay away from it.
I also discovered (AFTER I healed lol lol !!!!) that oranges make poops "angel soft" as well as mango Image Perhaps you can add more of those as a snack or something Image
Unfortunately everybody is sooooo different and what works for one person does not necessarily work for another Image - it is all trail and error *sigh
BEST of luck with healing and finding the perfect receipt for a toothpasty poop Image Image - I wish I could be of more help...
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby BillUltra » 19 May 2012, 07:18

BROWN rice (I even use the Minute rice brand because it's so easy to cook) and dowsed in tramp olive oil (not sure what else you would call non-virgin olive oil?) is actually the one best addition to my diet that healed me, I do believe. It was recommended previously on this forum, I tried it, and had good luck. The brown rice still has the husk on the outside. Not sure if that's soluble or insoluble, but it does give you that coveted toothpasty poop, even with a fresh minty flavor.
White rice, on the other hand, can cause constipation, or so I've heard.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby Jenbug » 19 May 2012, 19:10

I've given up. Either mine is runny and explosive or brick hard no matter what. So what I do is stick to a no HFCS diet and make my own breads and buy only organic and GRASS fed meat to avoid any corn by product. Even that hasn't helped, but it has certainly lessened my IBD. but even saying that, my issue was caused by food poisoning and not by diet itself. So I let myself eat what I want to within reason :)
Jenbug
Salt Bather

Topics: 23

Postby Fissulyna » 19 May 2012, 21:30

Aaaawe, I am so sorry : (((. It is a double whammy to have fissure AND IBD : ((((( - BUT, do not give up !!! We had person with IBD who healed with patience and being stubbornly determined and without any surgery - find if you can "Cheryl " (of CherylK ???) posts - she was a mod for some time also. If I remember correctly, she used Miralax to make her poop a correct consistency and she also used anti-depressants to calm her tummy and get into control of the whole nightmare !!! There is always a way Image !!!!! You just need to find what works FOR YOU Image
Also, try to stick with fish and stay away from "real meat" if you can : ( and of course cheese and ANY pasta or bread is making that poop "stiffer" - there is no way around it :(
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NewMummy » 24 May 2012, 18:11

GOOD UPDATE:
Hi, thank you so much for your replies. This week has been AWESOME!!! I made some changes and I'm feeling no pain and no bleeding this week. It's such a great feeling and I'm so happy for it...even if it was only for this week..at least it's given me some hope.
So, here is what I did to get less bulky and more toothpasty poos. First of all, I forgot to say in the first post that I also had 2 teaspoons of psyllium husk evening and morning....can I blame my baby brain for that one?? Image
So I started on flax seed oil instead of flax seeds (1 tablespoon morning and night), reduced the psyllium husk to only night time. Reduced the brown rice amount and started eating it for lunch and swapped carrots and peas for tinned artichokes, lettuce and cucumber and tomato at lunch time...artichokes to increase the soluble fibre more and the other stuff cause it worked when I went to a party on the weekend and ended up eating salad because I couldn't eat anything else!!
I also have a mandarine or orange after each main meal and snack on dried mango at night time.
So far, every day this week has been HEAVEN. I'm in happy land and my baby is awesome and has learned how to sit by himself this week :D Thank you to everyone on this forum for putting a smile back on my face. I love you all!!! Image
NewMummy
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 24 May 2012, 19:32

NewMummy!
Awesome news! Image
Keep up the great regimen that is working for you. So so happy you are feeling better!!!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Badd825 » 01 Jun 2012, 18:04

Your post made me cry. First because it gave me hope. I've been miserable for 6 months with constant round the clock pain. Reading your post made me realize that I will feel well again. Secondly because my kids are teenagers now and I miss the baby stage. I don't know how you've dealt with this and a baby. God bless you that you continue to heal. Enjoy your baby. Mine is driving!
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby NewMummy » 02 Jun 2012, 05:42

Ha ha, Badd825, I can't picture my little baby Dylan growing up and driving but I'm sure it will happen one day Image Don't be sad about missing the baby stage...at least you got to experience it when you did, right? and no one can take those nice memories away from you. Just hang in there for the grandparent stage and you'll see babies once more :D
I'm glad you have some hope. We all should have hope because surely we cannot live like this forever...there must be something working for us!
I had 3 awesome weeks and today hell broke loose again (I've written another post about it). Don't know quite why BUT I'm determined to stay positive. I healed one fissure so surely I can heal another one! I'll let you know here if this diet keeps working for me or not.... thinking about it right now I wonder if I ate too many prunes the other day...I got a bit greedy and tucked in more than my 4 usual for the day Image Although it makes me wonder..do I really have to be THAT careful with what I eat???? It doesn't quite make sense...so I'm thinking there is something else going on..maybe breastfeeding hormones??? I'll see what I can figure out over the next couple of weeks. I've increased flaxseed oil and aloe vera juice to see if that softens up stuff some more.
Good luck with your healing too Image
NewMummy
Fibre Addict