how long after LIS.... till ur fit for intercourse?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

how long after LIS.... till ur fit for intercourse?

Postby rubius » 04 Jun 2012, 00:56

well this is a personal this to be asking.... but we have discussed many other 'personal' things with varied amount of disclosures/comfort.
certain questions---
1) when do u resume /start intercourse post LIS...how long?
2) what will be the effect in the incision site, healing , pain?
3) any special care that needs to be taken?
frankly after yrs of the anal pain and LIS making me feel sumwhat better :D (its now 3 wks post op) and hopefully its going to be better.... i really wanted sum inputs on this front as well.
sumhow not much was found when i searched the forum on this one.
rubius
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: how long after LIS.... till ur fit for intercourse?

Postby jr2 » 04 Jun 2012, 09:18

Hi rubius,
I guess it's a topic that doesn't get much attention since the pain of fissures pretty much kills any thoughts of sex for most people. I think it's a really good sign that you're even thinking about it!
I don't really have much to offer in the way of experience to help you out, but I can speculate a little . Hopefully someone who has experienced LIS will jump in here for you.
I don't know if there is really a set time frame, and of course it's a question best addressed to your surgeon since everyone's healing times and progress after surgery are different, and it's best to get your doctor's advice. For women of course it is a bit more of an issue than for men. I would think it wise to make sure the incision site has fully healed, that there is no longer any drainage or bleeding from the wound. Davo in his surgical post said that for him the incision site was fully healed at 10 weeks.
It might not be a bad idea for both you and your partner to shower prior to intercourse to decrease the amount of bacteria that naturally resides on the skin, and it would probably not be a bad idea for you to clean after intercourse for the same reason.
As far as how much pain to expect, you probably want to take things really slow and gentle as you get back into sexual activity and see how it goes. You may also have to experiment with positions because some positions may put too much pressure on the posterior to be comfortable for you.
but who knows! You might find out that it's all smooth sailing and starry skies right from the start!
I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better and thinking about other things in life that are far more joyful to contemplate!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Sana1 » 04 Jun 2012, 20:49

It's worse trying IMHO! You can stop if there is any discomfort. On haemmorhoid forum they claim that sex promotes healing. I didn't have LIS, but after most of the fissure pain was gone I was just afraid that orgasm might cause spasm it the hole area including internal sphyncter. It was hard to relax...But it was good! :D It makes partner happy too!
After all it's another opening, not the one where surgery was.Image
Sana1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby sailorgal » 05 Jun 2012, 06:05

I didn't have LIS, but tried intercourse a couple weeks after my 1st botox-fissurectomy, justified that it would promote healing due to increased blood flow, and decrease pain due to endorphins. looking back, that was a little early for me bcz I was a little sore going into to it, but was pain free during, but was pretty sore after it.
Tried again a couple weeks after my 2nd botox (without fissurectomy), was overall in way less pain after my 2nd procedure as things weren't as tender down there and only had a little mild soreness afterward - but definitely showered before and after and took things slow and mindful to avoid painful movements until I trusted that things were a "go". instructions from the surgeon have aways remained "per tolerance", which basically means if it doesn't hurt, do it, if it does hurt, don't do it. If you're ready to give it a try and your pain is otherwise undercontrol, it's totally worth it. Worse case scenario, it starts to hurt so you back off - but it shouldn't do harm to the fissure as long as you stay away from that area.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby sailorgal » 05 Jun 2012, 06:07

wait. correcton - i had intercourse less than a week after my 2nd surgery! we were away at a wedding.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby rubius » 07 Jun 2012, 12:34

jr2/sana/sailorgal
hey!thats sum practical advice i got from u....
the late reply coz i had exams.... one accomplishment that is i cud sit 4-5 hrs straight coz i had no choice. needless to say i was v apprehensive.but things went fine.
as to the sex i thing il give myself more time before trying it.
any more suggestions .... personal experiences.... wud be gud as im still gathering courage .
take care
rubius
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby jr2 » 07 Jun 2012, 13:54

Hi rubius,
Just be really open with your partner about your apprehension. Sex is about love and intimacy between the two of you, and part of that intimacy is being able to share how vulnerable you feel. It will help you a lot emotionally and physically when you are very honest about your feelings. You can also start out doing other things sexually with one another that don't involve full intercourse, sort of wading gently back into the waters again. There's a lot more to a sexual relationship than just intercourse, and you and your partner could get to know one another in entirely new and wonderful ways. Just keep it all in perspective that you have your whole lives to have all the sex you want. In the grand scheme of things,, needing more weeks or even months to feel your body is ready isn't a big deal. You'll know when you're ready. Just listen to your heart and your body and you'll be fine.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Fissulyna » 08 Jun 2012, 14:26

I do not think there are any guidelines about that part - I guess any time you feel ready - than it is the right time LOL.
If there is any discomfort, you can always stop !!!
Intercourse never caused any spasms for me ( before or after surgery ) but I read here on the forum that for men it CAN be an issue.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby fissuredout » 11 Jun 2012, 19:06

I'm a male and had intercourse three days post LIS. No problems or pain, in fact I'm 7 days post op and feel 90%.
fissuredout

Topics: 1

Postby schoolterp » 16 Jul 2012, 11:34

Wondered if having vaginal intercourse can retear a anal fissure due to the pressure and movement?
schoolterp