AHHH!!! Constipation - question for women?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

AHHH!!! Constipation - question for women?

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 07 Jun 2012, 18:45

Okay, so I just realized today after going 4 times yesterday and 3 and a half times today that I'm constipated. It's just coming out in smaller, harder chunks! How is this even possible??? I'm drinking 5 16oz bottles of water a day, taking benefiber daily, 4 colace a day and in general eating a high fiber diet. For me, constipation has never been I don't go at all it's more of things get really hard and then I go, it comes out slowly, some 'breaks off' and the rest just sits there. Then I have to either push it out or suck it back in. I did that 4 times today.
So my question is I'm supposed to get my period next week, this is the only thing I can think of that could be causing this! I'm taking two Senna tonight as that was my docs recommendation although I'm already nervous that I have this huge, hard poo that is going to come out Image
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: AHHH!!! Constipation - question for women?

Postby jr2 » 07 Jun 2012, 19:14

Flanders,
Yup. I hear ya. I go through this too, then I swing into the other mode with diarrhea. We generally think of constipation as not going at all, but really, ive come to define it in broader terms. If its too big or too hard to be comfortable to pass I'm calling that constipation. You might be going too heavy on the fiber. I know when I do that I get into trouble. Also, yes, hormones will also cause changes. During the time of our cycle when progesterone is higher, we will get more constipation as progesterone slows down peristalsis. Progesterone peaks about a week or so prior to the onset of menstruation.
Sending you a big hug and my best wishes for softer, smaller poo ... for both of us!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 08 Jun 2012, 08:58

Jr-
OMG, thank you so much. I am literally one week prior to the start of my period. That just makes SO much sense to me and now I feel like maybe I don't need to change my supplements. Tried two Senna and 1 flaxseed oil pill last night. That did help as the poo I was having trouble getting rid of yesterday did come out and it was a bit softer. Still, if I don't have to take a laxative I don't want to. I think I'll go back to my Colace and fiber (maybe a little less) and perhaps the week before my period I'll start adding 1/2 a teaspoon of Miralax everyday just until I get back into my regular pattern. I'd much rather be doing that until I heal. I am SO sorry you have been having a bad week too. You're compassion for everyone and support is just outstanding. You just really made me feel better with your post as I felt like I was doing something wrong. I'm of course more sore now that I was last week but hopefully as I get out of the peak of the progesterone now I'll start getting a little better again. This is such a horrible afflication and I keep praying that we all heal. I had a rant on another persons post last night too and it felt good. I get mad at the world right now and I see people walking around and I either wondering what pain their hiding or I feel jealous that their butts don't hurt! :D
Anyway, sorry for the long post but I just wanted to let you know how much better you made me feel. I'll be curiuos to see if the addition of 1/2 teaspoon or maybe a full teaspoon during that week will help (really it can't hurt).
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 08 Jun 2012, 16:31

That is what was happening to me also - I would heal in 3 weeks and than have re-tear before every single period Image .
I hope you will find a trick of how to make it softer before period since nothing I did actually helped with that. Image It was never "very hard poop" in my case, but just enough to cause a damage Image Image
I was afraid to go overboard with laxatives since , as I said, I was never constipated to begin with (never rock-hard poop in my life) , so balancing it to achieve a "toothpaste" and not go into "diarrhea" mode was almost impossible for me Image
Best of luck Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 08 Jun 2012, 18:11

Thanks! I just was feeling so miserable because I felt like I was doing something wrong and now I can realize that it will likely happen and prepare.
I hope I can find something that works. I've never been able to achieve what I consider "toothpaste" but definitely times that are softer than others. I'm just glad my butt didnt explode this morning :D
I could hardly sleep cause I thought I'd have the kind of poop that started all this. Thankfully not. Have you been able to heal finally?
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 08 Jun 2012, 18:34

Flanders,
I totally know what you mean about this constant roller coaster we're on, trying to sort all this out. What to do, what not to do, etc. but yeah, I would give that strategy a try when it comes to the week before your period, and maybe even a bit before that week as well. It would probably help to keep a calendar since these physiological things aren't super precise and you can start to notice just when things are beginning to change for you. I don't know what age you are, but as women get closer to menopause these effects can be even greater on the bowel because hormones are getting even wonkier.
In my case I don't know what went wrong this week, but two days of very bulky stool have ripped me apart really bad. All four fissures are deep and agonizing, including two that had been healed since January. The only thing I can think of is brown rice, which can at times be too bulk producing for me and I made a mistake of eating it twice this week. I didn't eat it last night and things were more normal as far as bulk today, so i think I need to eliminate rice altogether.
I'm glad the senna didn't cause too much of a dramatic experience. I was really concerned for you that it would be too harsh. That's a great relief!
jr2

Postby Fissulyna » 08 Jun 2012, 19:47

Jr2, I am soooo sorry Image to hear that , oh my Image *sigh. Not fair, just not fair at all Image !!!!
Just a thought - did anybody test you for Crohn's : ((( ??? Having that many fissures is usually caused by some serious inflammation going on there Image or even a Celiac d. : (((.
I wish I can take your pain away :( , it is too much, really Image
Suckdiddlyucksflanders - yes, I healed but I had to have 2 LIS surgeries to achieve it Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby jr2 » 08 Jun 2012, 21:26

Hi fissulyna,

Yes, Crohn's is always on the radar with my doctors and has been for years. Unfortunately, testing always brings up sort of puzzling results. Some things suggestive of Crohn's, but nothing ever definitive. This is the story of my life, actually. Add to that the fact I don't respond well to the testing itself, with strange and scary after effects that doctors can't explain, and it makes doing anything to my body a big risk. It's all very confusing and very frustrating for me, and for the dozens of doctors I've seen, who all end up scratching their heads. Image
jr2

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 09 Jun 2012, 17:52

Oh Jr, I'm SO sorry to hear about your bad week!! I too wish I could take your pain away or even lessen it. Praying for healing for you and relief in whatever form you can find it. I am 34 so not quite to menopause stage, but it's probably closer than I think :D
At least I have my family to try to help me through. My little girl, Evie who is 6 months, was so giggly today it was such a highlight! I tried my colace and normally routine but had three harder poops so am doing the senna again tonight. Honestly, I think if I didn't have the two hemmies the pain would be much better. The tear hasnt healed although I can tell its not as bad. Oh well, I think at this point I need time. I'm not sure I ever really got spasms so will have to think about LIS if it came to that. I did have Botox almost two weeks ago and that did help with overall pain.
Fissulyna - I'm so happy you've healed although wish it hadn't taken two surgeries to do it!
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Jun 2012, 18:55

jr2 wrote:Hi fissulyna,

Yes, Crohn's is always on the radar with my doctors and has been for years. Unfortunately, testing always brings up sort of puzzling results. Some things suggestive of Crohn's, but nothing ever definitive. This is the story of my life, actually. Add to that the fact I don't respond well to the testing itself, with strange and scary after effects that doctors can't explain, and it makes doing anything to my body a big risk. It's all very confusing and very frustrating for me, and for the dozens of doctors I've seen, who all end up scratching their heads. Image

Oh, you see I read about so many butt cases here and on many other sites and medical journals
*sigh that by now I know about every possible cause of ANY ailment IN, ON and AROUND the anus Image I was thinking - did you try to use any medications like "Canasa" in your anus ?
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/canasa-suppositories.html
That is NON steroid medication for localized inflammation of the colon BUT also anus in cases where Chron's isolated and attacks ONLY anus !!!! It exists !!!! Now, I am not saying you have it - not at all, I am just saying IF some crazy inflammation did set in, perhaps this might be worth trying :roll: Image !? I heard about it from Stanford CRS who actually wanted me to try it but I did not want to "mask " my symptoms because I KNEW I have tight butt and without surgery there was no hope for me for long term healing and I was RIGHT !!!! I also had only one fissure so Canasa was an "overkill" in my case - REALLY !!!!????? Image
We had a member here Bernard (or Bernar ? Berhnar ?... try to find him) and he was suffering with multiple fissures and almost had colostomy bag installed and than tried this cream (foam) and was CURED !!!!!!! Image
I so wish I can find answer for you Image Please never stop trying Image
Suckdiddlyucksflanders - aaaaweeee, THANKS !!!! Image It is OK really : )))))), I am happy now that I did have LIS and long-term solution !!!! I have one less thing off my list to worry about Image KTW and thanks God for that Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP