Will I ever eat a steak again?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Will I ever eat a steak again?

Postby whatwhat » 25 Jun 2012, 09:52

I am a huge steak fan. Huge. In fact red meat in general is my weakness.
After being recently diagnosed with multiple AF's a few weeks ago I launched a full scale attack on my diet eating incredibly healthy and using the Rectogesic and was pleased to find a direct result with BM's, no bleeding or pain for 2 weeks.
Then last Thursday I thought "ahhh Im healing - why not go for a bit of a spaghetti bolegnase to celebrate?"
Big mistake. I am completely back to square one. It is obviously red meat that has taken its toll and after a day and a half of no BM's I had a retear yesterday Image
I feel crap today, totally deflated and beaten... and actually angry with myself for letting myself think it was healing up! As I sit here munching on my bowl of fruit and drink down my lactulose I wonder, is this it for me and my diet? Is my relationship with Spag Bol over? Are Lamb Shanks a thing of the past? Will I ever be able to eat naughty food ever again or am I destined to a life of greens, fibre bars and obsessing over the consistency of my own poo? Image
Have any of you guys healed and been able to eat fairly normally again or has having an AF caused an irreversible change in your diets? Do you guys think that maybe if I am ultra good for a few months and take treatment well, that they will have time to heal and then I will be able to revert to some sort of normal eating routine again after???
Don't get me wrong - I have been feeling GREAT eating so healthy and know it can only do me good and would do anything to heal these AF's....but I still want to be able to munch a steak and chips every now and then without fearing their exit - right now I am wondering if I will ever be able to do that.
X
whatwhat
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Will I ever eat a steak again?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 25 Jun 2012, 15:24

Oh Whatwhat,
You did make me laugh although I shouldn't really! You're obviously craving steak as I much as I am Pizza!!...
I think you do have to be particularly careful initially and (sorry) cut out the tough meats/ fried foods/ white stuffs/ sweet stuffs too and really focus on those healthy natural organic high fibre foods to help heal the condition....but since I've had all this crap going on, have been a little too obsessed with it all too. After monitoring what goes in and comes out for months now, I've worked out that you really don't have to deny yourself completely, just have everything in moderation. I have been able to eat lamb with no issues, just make sure it's really tender and serve with piles of veggies to counteract with fibre/ drink lots of water after it too...I never eat a full portion of chips but have a small handful with a plate of salad and chicken. I sprinkle flaxmeal on top of soups/ pasta dishes, even lasagne to throw in extra fibre and that stuff is brilliant. If I feel I'm not getting enough fibre, I take a fibergel (metamucil) and just drink loads of fluids to wash it all through.
Perhaps - you could try a bit of spag bog next time, but make it part of a meal with a big salad (make sure the spaghetti is wholemeal and there's extra veggies in it too)???
I eat chocolate too - as a treat! and that doesn't seem to do any harm at all...
It's funny because whilst I was having to make all these dietary changes, I was irritated by them and a bit like you, was always thinking will I ever be able to eat normally again....but then I got to thinking what is normal? and to TBH everything you need to be healthy is not the conventional fast food/ high fat and sugar diets so common today. I'm actually looking at it all with new eyes now and thinking NO, this is the stuff I should be eating and as I've got more into that mind frame, become more experimental and adventurous with the all the healthy stuff. It's a real important life style change as there's so many worse conditions created by the very diet we have been eating. I guess a more subtle wake-up call to what we can do to our bodies through poor diet. Rambling or what??! I'll stop!
I'd say probably still best stay off steak just until your AF heals a lot more but I'm certain you will get to eat it again at some point!!! Let's hope it's soon and that Rectogesic helps it heal nicely. Good luck xx
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby whatwhat » 25 Jun 2012, 15:51

ETO Glad I made you smile :) You can laugh, you have to don't you!? :)
I have had the sneaky bit of chocolate so far too - I have had the odd Freddo bar and that hasn't seemed to cause problems.
You know what, what you just said about there being much worse conditions caused by not eating right has really just made me think. Nothing bad can come from this really (other than AF not healing) but diet wise this can only be a good thing can't it?
I think that I have a slightly unhealthy relationship with naughty food - almost feel like if I don't eat it I am not gonna be happy - which is totally incorrect I know! So many of the foods that I am cutting out are the social foods, the pizzas, the steaks at my favourite italian, the fish and chips with my family on a friday night - the food I eat with people. " girls, come round mine for a massive bowl of salad and a film" just doesn't have the same ring as pizza does! Image so I think the idea of cutting them out is not just necessarily scary because I am craving them but more that I feel like it will impact my life as a whole and be boring. Do you know what I mean? Strange I know, how we can relate to food in such a way.
I am hoping that this experience gives me that wake up call to my diet that I have seen so many refer to on here. I also have Polycystic Ovaries and have known for a while that I should be focussing on a better diet to help improve them too......but steak.....oh the steak
Flaxmeal you mention, is this in sort of powder form or seed form? I have to admit that I am confused by the fibre thing - I am scared of bashing too much of the stuff incase it bulks anything up! Do you think it is okay to eat as much soluble fibre as you like? Is it all about soluble and insoluble??
Have been put on the Diltazam now as the recto headaches were horrible, so I hope it works!
Thanks for your reply ETO, you've made me feel better and think maybe it is not my diet that is the problem, but the way I view healthy food. Wishing you all the best
x
whatwhat
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby BillUltra » 10 Jul 2012, 19:53

Well whatever guys but I'm off that stuff for life. I've lost 35 pounds, I have more energy than ever. Not sure if it was just the diet but I'm now living life the way I always wanted to, and doing things I've always wanted to, because I'm fit and have energy. Rock climbing, hiking (you would not believe the trails I have been hiking on and in 2 weeks I am hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up), getting up earlier in the mornings, sex life is better.
Things I haven't eaten for the past 5 months:
Chocolate
Cookies
Ice cream
Bread
Pasta
Pizza
Cheese (and all other dairy except a little skim milk on my morning oatmeal)
White rice
Idaho potatoes
Things I eat all the time:
Oatmeal (sweetened with honey)
Fish (esp tuna)
Chicken
Brown rice dowsed in olive oil
Carrots
Brussel sprouts
Beans and peas (all kinds)
Broccoli
Zucchini
Squash
Sweet potatoes (yams)
Dates (perfect substitute for sugar deserts)
Figs
Of course my main motivation for staying on this diet is to not be one of these people posting that they screwed up and now their fissure has returned. But I have truly learned to enjoy this diet just as much as the crap I used to eat.
Good luck with your decision.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19