Pain - How do you deal with it?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Pain - How do you deal with it?

Postby dcasp82 » 26 Jun 2012, 08:50

I'm about four months in and my CRS said I was healing a month ago. The pain, however, is still intense through most of the day.
Originally, I requested opiate-based pain killers but these are clearly not a long term solution as they cause severe constipation. Over the counter pain killers don't seem to help. I use A&D ointment after every BM and that soothes it for about ten minutes then it's back to the pain. "Cooling" hemmhorroid creams only burn.
I wish NY state would quit screwing around and legalize medicinal cannabis already since this seems to be the most gentle and effective form of long term pain management. Fingers crossed.
Does anyone have any pointers on how to deal with the pain? I'm sick of standing at work all day and sitting just shoots the pain through the roof. It's bad enough I have a forty minute commute.
dcasp82
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Pain - How do you deal with it?

Postby dcasp82 » 27 Jun 2012, 11:42

I find the lack of responses disheartening... Image
Oh well, back to downing 4000 mg's of acetaminophen daily.
dcasp82
Fibre Addict

Postby andyk123 » 28 Jun 2012, 09:13

i hate to say it but when the tear is acute and painful there is nothing i can do to ease the pain - painkillers dont touch it. the only thing that gives slight releif is a hot bath.
i have found that i just have to put up with the pain when its bad, and try to avoid another retear for as long as possible by eating and drinking well.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 Jun 2012, 15:40

I think you need to go back to your CRS for another chat. I'm surprised they have not prescribed Rectogesic/ Anoheal (Dilitizem) - I think Niphredine or something equivilant in US? to help relax your sphincter, which will give it a chance to heal...Botox is another option at this stage too.
Were any of these methods discussed with you??? These also offer a lot of people pain-relief whilst the fissure is acute and still healing.
You could try fresh aloe vera (I found that really soothing) as with the hot baths (2 - 3 day/ after BM's) but these are more relief and the pain is still there sadly.
I do think when the pain is extreme, you need something stronger to help and after going for an emergency EUA because of the pain, they then gave me Dilitizam, which helped no end with the pain and helped a lot in my healing.
Good luck with it all. Hope you find your pain relief as soon as possible x
P.S I also wish they would legalise medicinal cannabis here in the UK too!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby dcasp82 » 02 Jul 2012, 08:44

Yeah, it's been a month since my last visit with the CRS. He told me no more office visits were necessary and that I was healing but I feel like it's time to see him again as all I have to put on it is some basic A&D ointment. I feel like I should have some sort of prescription. I ran out of my nitroglycerine about a week after my last visit with him and I figured since he didn't renew the script that he didn't want me to continue with it.
Maybe it's time to try one of the alternatives. Don't know if I'm ready to go as far as botox but another ointment should help more than the A&D.
dcasp82
Fibre Addict

Postby wecc » 02 Jul 2012, 09:15

I know what you mean. I put up with this for over a year. In the last 4 months the pain could bring me to my knees. I had one very memorable flair up when I was just retuning from China….think about it, 18 hours!!! That trip is what made me go to the next step. I wish I did this much sooner. If it gets so bad and you believe it will not heal…look up my past emails from January. Especially given that you live in L.I. Good luck
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby BillUltra » 10 Jul 2012, 21:54

Valium and ibuprofin. Couldn't have made it through with them. Enough said.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby 357Magnum » 11 Jul 2012, 06:24

I have been somewhat lucky lately, not too much pain, alittle discomfort at times, itchy sometimes also, I am having a spasm every now and then, but its more sensation than pain. Cannabis is great for relaxing the body and mind, I have been using it to calm the spasms and pain, and really just to take my mind off the whole damn thing. I have also been mixing A&D with coconut oil and aloe gel and have been using that, huge improvements since i started using that concoction
357Magnum
Fibre Addict

Postby BillUltra » 11 Jul 2012, 19:58

I'm glad that works for you. I was a regular user of cannabis before my fissure, but found that after my fissure it actually caused my sphincter to spasm. Unbelievable! Plus it became impossible for me to maintain dietary discipline after smoking weed. So, like many other things I loved before my fissure, it has been removed from my life.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby 357Magnum » 11 Jul 2012, 21:29

the only issue i find is that coughing can be disruptive...
357Magnum
Fibre Addict