Bleeding after doctor's visit :(

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Bleeding after doctor's visit :(

Postby butthurt » 10 Jul 2012, 20:05

Hello,
I just had to come here and cry on someone's shoulder... I can't talk about this to anyone and I am so distressed right now.
I have had what I am sure is an anal fissure for the past 2 months or so. I actually have had them before but they healed up after a couple of weeks or so and I thought they were hemorrhoids until this latest one had me googling and I realized my symptoms closely resembled fissures. I really do have hemorrhoid problems, as well as IBS.
I have what looks like a sentinel tag (google images turned up several that look just like mine) and the spasm pain described here and elsewhere. Frequent baths, soft bms and wet wipes have brought me very close to healing. But I made a HUGE mistake and ate a snack with a lot of hot sauce on it (I just wasn't thinking) and I had a setback.
I went to the doctor today to get a diagnosis or at least get the ball rolling. He said he needed to do an exam. I laid on my side and he first used his finger, which HURT! Then he said he needed to use an anoscope. That was HORRIBLE! I felt like something ripped, or popped or something. The pain was so bad that I started crying.
He said that he could see hemorrhoids, and the tag, but that he couldn't see under the tag and there could be a fissure but he couldn't tell. He referred me to a general surgeon for a better look. I asked about a CRS but he said that they don't refer to CRS for my problem, that a general surgeon handles this all the time (I have Kaiser).
The nurse left me some wipes, and when they left the room, I found out why. I was bleeding! I had to go back to work and I have been uncomfortable all day. I feel sore and wobbly inside. I also keep tearing up because it freaked me out.
I am scheduled for Thursday to see the surgeon, and even though I have to do the fleet enemas I don't care, I just have to have a definite reason for my butt problems. I can deal with this better knowing exactly what I am dealing with.
Sorry for the length but I am seriously having some major anxiety right now. I just had to get this out!
butthurt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Bleeding after doctor's visit :(

Postby jr2 » 10 Jul 2012, 21:39

i am so incredibly sorry to hear about your experience at the doctor. This kind of thing is so distressing to hear about because when someone is presenting with anorectal pain and problems they really ought to be offered the option to have the anoscopic exam performed under anesthesia to avoid more pain and damage to the area. It is so frustrating to have to cope within the constraints of medical systems and the way they work.
We are all here to support and comfort andbe here with you in any way we can from so far away. We understand the pain and anxiety, and most of us can relate to having had at least one bad experience with a doctor. I would recommend doing something really kind for yourself, a soothing bath and a book, maybe?
I wish you all the best with your appointment on Thursday and hope you will keep us posted. Ultimately though, keep in mind it is your body and you have every right to know exactly what a physican is going to do before they do it, and you have every right to refuse anything that doesn't take your comfort and well being into consideration as the first priority.
Sending you a big hug.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby butthurt » 10 Jul 2012, 22:53

Thank you so much jr2. It never occurred to me that the exam would be so horrible. I appreciate the support. Image
butthurt
Fibre Addict

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 11 Jul 2012, 01:54

Like jr2 said, I am sooooooooo sorry for your horrible doctor visit. Many of us here can definitely feel your pain!
The absolute BEST piece of advice I can give you (and the best piece of advice my family doctor gave me) is to do whatever it takes to get in to see a board-certified CRS. You want someone that has extensive specialized training in dealing with butt issues (and deals ONLY with butt issues on a daily basis), and that is not a general surgeon in most cases.
Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Sue27uk » 11 Jul 2012, 11:29

Aw I can sympathise about the doctor thing. The GP I used to go to wasn't very good! My most recent NHS hospital visit wasn't too great either, caused me alot of pain which in the end after 18 months persuaded me to pay for treatment (am in the UK). I wouold suggest you see what this person says on Thursday but if you're not happy go and see a CRS. The CRS I have paid treatment for is a world away from the general surgeon I went to. Good luck! :) Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby butthurt » 11 Jul 2012, 19:58

Thanks so much thisfissurecankissmyass and sue27uk. You know what the weirdest thing about it is, I feel a lot better today and the tag is smaller. It doesn't really hurt like it did either. I thought for sure I would be in a world of hurt today, but I didn't even have spasms after my bm.
butthurt
Fibre Addict

Postby dan2012 » 13 Jul 2012, 03:15

I'll second Sue's comments. I only found someone I can trust after the 3rd try. My new CRS is really great, and don't settle for anything but a CRS - they are the only ones that know all the treatment details for these conditions. Other doctors will say lots of things with a lot of authority, but they don't know what they don't know...
One more thing... My understanding is that the tag proper doesn't generally hurt, but it's likely that your fissure is near the tag and that could be maybe the source of your pain?
dan2012
Salt Bather

Topics: 14