7 days since lis

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

7 days since lis

Postby auburn36 » 17 Jul 2012, 22:26

I've been lurking here for many months but I'm at that point where I need a bit of support from people who understand.
So I've had tears on a off for several years, and last year I had a bad BM and since then i can't seem to get the fissures healed. I had two fissures, 12oclock and 6oclock. It seemed like whenever one started healing, the other side would re-tear and I would have to start over. After trying the diltiazem for over a month with not much progress, I opted for surgery on Wednesday the 11th.
Day 1: I got home from the hospital around noon and I was in a good deal of pain. I couldn't get comfortable. I was given lortab for pain but it didn't really do much.
Day 2: The pain wasn't quite as bad on day 2 and I stopped with the lortab and just started with Tylenol and Advil. I was told to wait 24 hours to remove the dressing and I did that around noon, and the pain felt a lot better after that. I put some pads to soak up any blood and it was a lot of spotting and streaking during the day.
Day 3: I took a look at the site for the first time and I noticed some stitches at the 3oclock position. I also noticed in the 9oclock position a cut across an external hemmed and it was bleeding. I called the surgeons office and they said he only cut in the 3oclock and that the cut must to have come from the dressing When I removed it and to just soak in the tub. So I went from 12 and 6 to 9 and 3, my luck!
Day 4: Had my first bowel movement in the morning, 72 hours since I took the enema before surgery. It was painful but not any worse than my fissure. I had blood streaks on the stool I was in a good deal of pain afterwards during cleanup in the shower. The rest of the day I had mild pain at the surgical site but Advil took care of it.
Day 5: This was a really good day. Not much pain, took one dose of Advil that morning. Still having Reddish Brown discharge streaks in pad but less then before. Then around 9pm I had a BM that was tough. It took 30 minutes and it was excruciating. It wasn't soft enough and It bleed a lot. I was crying afterwards, from the pain and just depression.
Day 6: I woke up feeling good and did a little work from home. I still had reddish brown discharge. I was having occasional pain from the incision side when sitting upright. I'm not having anymore pain from the other side with the cut hemmie. I felt like walking that afternoon so I just walked around my cul de sac for a few minutes. That night I took my temp and it was a little high. The most it got was 99.3. I woke up in the middle of the night to change shirts because of it.
Day 7: Went into work for about 2 hours and then came back home. Still having the reddish brown discharge as much as the past two days. Had a BM this afternoon, it was a lot softer and not as painful but just as bloody.
I had a temp again tonight and it got up to 100.3. Took some Tylenol and it went down in an hour to 99.0
The combination the night-fever/discharge/blood has me a little worried So I guess I'm going to call my surgeon tomorrow to see what try say. I Know I was long winded but it actually felt good just typing it all up.
auburn36

Topics: 1

Re: 7 days since lis

Postby Kat » 18 Jul 2012, 03:59

It is very therapeutic to write about it all isn't it?
I think the longer you can just rest up after surgery the better. I took two weeks off work following my surgery and am really glad I did. I think it was Day 12 before I felt reasonably normal and was up for getting out and about with some confidence.
I found my recovery in the first couple of weeks to be very much two steps forward and one step back. I am now Day 25 post surgery and am on a run of 10 good days consecutively. What a relief. I no longer fear the daily bm.
I've got my first follow up appointment with my doctor tomorrow and I am hoping he will tell me it's all good and healed. I definitely wish I had had the surgery sooner than I did.
All that said my remaining challenge is going to be to wean myself off laxatives/stool softeners. Hmm.
Anyway good luck with the doctor tomorrow and go easy on yourself.
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby andyk123 » 18 Jul 2012, 13:07

you are a little ahead of me.. i am day 6 now.
each bm for me has been excrutiating. pain both where my fissure was (tailbone area) and also where he must have cut to the side.
pain for me during bm has been much much worse than before the surgery and i am a little disapointed as i ve seen a lot of people say they have had instant relief, but it is early days still and i am not too discouraged.
let me know what your doctor says and remember it is still early days.
in terms of work i feel no where near ready to go back, i am going to docs tmorow and am going to ask for two more weeks.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby auburn36 » 19 Jul 2012, 23:50

Thanks for the replies.
Talked to the doc yesterday and they said the fevers only worry them when it gets over 101 and won't come back down. But given mine comes down with Tylenol and I do not having any thick yellow/green discharge they were not too concerned. They said just to keep a watch on it.
Day 8: Worked 6 hours from home so I was tired by the end of the day. The discharge during the day was less than it has been at any time and there was little pain. Occasionally I would sit wrong and I would have some pain at the incision but not terrible.
Day 9: Worked less today then yesterday. Had some itching during the day and put some desitin on it, seemed to help. Had a BM and it wasn't as painful as before. But it did still bleed from the incision area, although less than two days ago. It kinda felt just like the fissure BMs. A sharp pain followed by streaks of blood from that pain area, just now it's coming from the incision at 3oclock, so hopefully this area will continue to heal.
It's nice not to have the several hours of spasms after each BM.
auburn36

Postby Kat » 20 Jul 2012, 00:21

Well you're getting close to that two week mark which was where I noticed a significant improvement so my fingers are crossed that you're going to have the same noticeable improvement when you get to around Day 15.
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby auburn36 » 29 Jul 2012, 21:17

Well I'm on day 18. I had my 2 week checkup on thursday(3 days ago). Doc said everything looked ok, he said I had a tear at the top of the incision site but that was normal. He wanted me to continue showering after BMs to keep the area clean.
I definitely started seeing improvements by day 15/16. The pain was gone during BM. I have some irritation at the incision site during BM and after but its not pain. Also, a small bit of blood during BM but not much.
I have to go back in a month to see the doc. Im going to stay on the miralax until then to stay on recovery. It's funny, it's now getting tough to talk to people about how you are doing because I'm afraid of jinxing myself and going back to where I was. Will update progress again at the end of the week.
auburn36