tear 6 weeks after surgery..

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

tear 6 weeks after surgery..

Postby andyk123 » 24 Aug 2012, 03:33

So i had LIS 6 weeks ago.
first two weeks were very sore, nd the last 4 have been pain free. this morning my fissure retore. i am feeling very very disapointed and low, and thinking what is next?
does this mean my surgery has failed? has any one experienced this themselves and gone on to heal permanantly, or seen any one in a similar situation on this board.
i have seen quite a few people on this forum say their doctors told them a repeat surgery would result in high risk of incontinence, does this mean im at the end of the road if this hasnt worked.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: tear 6 weeks after surgery..

Postby Em » 24 Aug 2012, 03:52

I think that you can still get fissures after surgery but you heal faster.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 24 Aug 2012, 18:10

From what I understand, EM is absolutely correct. Since your anal resting pressure is now lower (due to the LIS), the fissure is more likely to heal quickly on its own. However, I would also ask your doctor about using Nifedipine in the meantime to help relax the sphincter even more.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby andyk123 » 25 Aug 2012, 07:28

the pain is just as severe before my operation. the muscle seems extremely tight aswell. i actually cant beleive this is happening. really really frustrated
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 25 Aug 2012, 08:41

Andy I am so sorry to hear this. I have read other people's posts before about this. Some have gone on to have another LIS as the first cut was quite conservative, but everyone is different as I have found out! The only thing to do is maybe try some of the rectogesic/cream again and follow the regime while this is healing up. In the meantime you could ring your CRS on Tuesday and see what they say, or contact your doctor. I know how it gets you down, I am still having a few problems and have to voice these at my follow-up on 6th September. Although I am not in the same situation, don't give up hope. This may be a setback, my doctor said it can take up to 6 months to recover from the surgery I have had so it is a slow process. Best thing is to ring the CRS to get some advice. Have a read round this surgery section too to see if you can get any ideas. Keep positive, look for ways to move forward. Been meaning to ask, you had any coccyx pain since your op? Think it was you who said you have some pain. My op doesn't seem to have sorted that pain out :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Sue27uk » 25 Aug 2012, 08:53

http://anal-fissure.org/t4985-setback-after-lis-please-help
^ don't know if this helps?! Looking through some old threads for you. If I find anymore will paste them here!
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Sue27uk » 25 Aug 2012, 09:02

Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby andyk123 » 26 Aug 2012, 05:49

Thanks sue,i I appreciate it. Day 3 since tear now and the pain is still severe, so It doesn't look like it will heal quicker than pre surgery. Pre surgery I wud typically be in a lot of pain for 5-7 days each time I tore.
Feeling really down at the moment. Tried to go to the gym to maintain normality, but it was so painful and has really took it out of me. I have lost faith in this surgery completly now. Things feel no where near relaxed. I am going to ring my surgeons secratary on tuesday. I was told I d have a 6 week follow up. Not heard anything though. What a surprise. !!
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby andyk123 » 26 Aug 2012, 11:01

sue, in terms of coxyc pain. this has improved lately, after over a year of pain, although it doesnt have anything to do with my surgery. i read a book called 'The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain' by john sarno
i dont know what your tailbone pain is like, but if its not the actualy skin i recomend you read this.
it is about general chronic pain which people tend to get - back pain, knee pain, shoulders, elbows, rsi.
chronic pain which doesnt make much sense. i had a very painful tailbone for well over a year, which just does not make sense.
i also was developing elbow, knee and finger pain, i read this book and applied his methods and have recovered from all that pain. my tailbone still bothers me but no where near as much as i did.
anyway - its definately worth a read - he does list tailbone pain as one of the issues, and ive read many people online who have recovered from chronic tailbone pain using this approach.
if only it could cure fissures!!!!!!!!!
how have you been lately?
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 28 Aug 2012, 12:45

Thank you for that info Andy. Its slightly lower than my coccyx, between my bum cheeks at the top. People have mentioned about there being a cyst but my GP ( the good one) has checked and pressed the area and said there is nothing there. Ths skin goes red sometimes but theres no pus or hole or anything. Fissure wise to be honest I was improving, but I now seem to have stopped improving. It's still really painful and beginning to get me down. I keep trying to stay positive but its becoming harder each day at the minute. I'm counting down the days until I see my CRS (8 days by the way!) in the hope he will tell me things are going in the right direction. I may also broach the subject of LIS if things don't improve soon. Regarding my skin condition I am going to see someone private on Friday, as things have been going on just as long with that. I'm going back to work next Monday and feel like I am worse off now than I was before the operation. Think plenty of painkillers will be needed, I'm still not off them and my op was nearly 8 weeks ago. I'm ok to leave them off at home but if I have to travel etc I need them to be comfy.
Anyway, how are you today? Have things improved? Did you get to speak to your CRS's secretary? Any news on your follow-up appointment? :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist