Because I just need vent my frustration and hopelessness!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Because I just need vent my frustration and hopelessness!

Postby Sue27uk » 29 Oct 2012, 12:25

I have been through use of all the creams, botox injections, fissurotomy....those of you who have been here a while will know my situation. I felt things were improving, managed to stop the rectogesic, things were getting back to a sort of normal. Then last Thursday I got the Norovirus - vomiting and diarrhoea for 3 hours straight. I thought I'd got away with it.....but I was wrong :( I am now very sore both where I was operated on (on the left) and now on the right aswell. So reluctantly I started the rectogesic last night which killed to put in. Then tonight I am greeted with alot of blood, I have never had this amount before and reckon I have a new fissure on the right. I feel like crying and screaming with frustration at the same time as I thought this was finally coming to an end. Back to eating extremely bland food, sitting in the bidet and applying cream, stool softeners etc. I honestly don't know what to do now, go to my GP, re-book privately with the CRS I was with (he wouldn't do the LIS on me), change my GP and ask for help. I have been to various folks on the NHS, 2 private CRS's and still find myself in this situation after almost 2 years. Am I one of these people they just can't sort?! I seriously hope not. Any ideas greatly appreciated, especially from those in the UK Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Re: Because I just need vent my frustration and hopelessness!

Postby StevePain » 29 Oct 2012, 12:56

Hey Sue, you're not alone, I feel your pain, I've been through similar to what you have and am still going through it now, like you, I'm sore on the left where I was operated on but also sore on the right, prior to this I was doing ok and have no idea why I have pain yet again. My LIS and Fissurectomy was 2 years ago and to be honest it hasn't healed me, granted, I got a good few months of minimal discomfort but then a few weeks ago disaster hit again, I hate this thing so much but really don't think I'll ever be cured, the anal area is just too sensitive, the slightest dodgy BM and it tears or that's what it feels like, I've thought about seeing my GP again but what can he do? I've reached the end of the road with creams and ointments and according to my surgeon, there's nothing more he can do either, I guess we're just a minority of people that never heal 100%.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby owmybum » 29 Oct 2012, 13:53

Hi sue,
Why would the crs not give you lis?
Don't have any words of wisdom for you... Am at a loss myself. Just know you are not alone... We all feel your pain
Omb
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby jr2 » 29 Oct 2012, 20:51

Sue, and everyone...it makes me so sad we're in this boat. It's a year and 2 months and i'm still coping with multiple fissures. I've gotten fissures that come and go my entire adult life, and I'm just worn out. This time they seem to be here to stay. Between fissures and all my other health problems, it's just exhausting and feels so hopeless. Multiple consults with doctors and none of them feel LIS is a good option for me given my severe digestive problems.
I'm heartbroken to hear you are suffering again. I remember so well your posts and feeling so hopeful along with you that things were on the upswing. I know what it's like to feel like you're never going to be rid of this affliction that takes its toll on us physically and emotionally.
I wish there was something I could offer in the way of advice, but for us unfortunate veterans there comes a time when even we run out of ideas. I can only think to support you, encourage you in what you already know to do, and let you know I'm sending out my hope that this will be a short lived relapse for you that happened due to the virus and you will heal up quickly.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Oct 2012, 05:36

Aw Sue,
Haven't been on here for a few days and I'm gutted to read your update. I'm also hoping like Jr2 that it's a short lived relapse brought on by the nasty Norovirus...
I would say if your GP has been great, than continue there and look for another CRS. You've been here for so long that maybe it is time to consider LIS (which has GREAT success rates for a lot of people, although not for all and my heart goes out to the long-sufferers) Could be your CRS has been putting you off LIS because of your age and possibility of having children? but this shouldn't present a huge risk if performed correctly by a qualified CRS. It might be unfortunately the route you have to take, although I hope not and things clear up a bit in the meantime?
If inserting the Recto is too painful, I think you could try just externally applying it as this also seems to produce an effect for people although less so than if it were internally inserted.....just a thought?
Aw so sorry to have to read of your pain and suffering again and your frustration. You have been doing great. Please update and let us know how you are.
Sending you a big hug and thinking of you very much
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby fitchatak » 31 Oct 2012, 12:28

Hi there Sue, Sorry you are so down and thinking about you.
x Image
fitchatak
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby richibeno » 02 Nov 2012, 10:53

hi sue how are you
hope you are feeling better
heres to great healing
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Sue27uk » 02 Nov 2012, 15:32

Thank you so much for the replies guys. It means alot! Things have been slowly improving again, had a bad day yesterday but have decided I am just going to keep going, keep active and it will heal. Things have been a bit better today, the kids in the school I'm at were doing a dance workshop this afternoon and I decided as its the weekend now I would just join in. In for a penny in for a pound!!!! I have found this has actually improved things for me (unbelievably!). I am applying the recto and making sure it goes in, sitting in my bidet sometimes when needed and using my laxatives etc. I have bled every night which has not happened before but no blood as yet tonight and it has been reducing. Still some pain when having a bm but it is reducing, I am hoping this is just a setback and things will get better. If they don't I am going back to my GP in a few weeks. Thank you again all for your concern, I hope you all feel better soon. I will update on here in a few days in the hope I will have some good news :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 27 Nov 2012, 21:21

Hi, jr, Sue27, and everyone else -
You are not alone. It's been 10 months since my surgery (LIS and fissurectomy) - and my healing process has been very slow. Actually, I was doing okay - better - but for about a week, I've been sore again. No blood, just raw soreness.
I don't know what to think about this, anymore. I'll see Crs #4, in two days.
I wish us all well.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby jr2 » 27 Nov 2012, 22:26

Sweet Bugaboo,
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I remember what a difficult decision it was for you to have surgery, and how slow going your recovery was. I had so hoped that when we hadn't seen you around that you were healed and had put fissure pain in your past permanently.
I hope your new doctor can shed light on things for you, and that you are on the road to full recovery with this just being a bit of a setback. This problem is so hard to live with every day. Even the days when things aren't so terribly bad it is there lurking that it could come back again.
Please keep us posted on your doctor visit, ok?
jr2

Topics: 15