6th day since my fistulotomy....BMs are crazy painful!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

6th day since my fistulotomy....BMs are crazy painful!

Postby Bucknut » 31 Oct 2012, 12:35

First of all, THANK GOD for the Internet and finding this forum. I am in need of some series encouragement and hope to do the same for others in time that go through the experience of a fistulotomy. Here's my story:
Ever since having a horrible cold with intestinal issues 5 years ago, I seemed to have an itchy bum that I could not get rid of. At times, I had fissures and I think my excessive scratching made them worse. Then a few years ago after dealing with the crazy itching for close to two years, I visited my primary doctor and he prescribed clotrimazole and betamethasone cream to apply twice daily, thinking it would help cure any fissure that might be leaking fluid and irritating my skin. The clotrimazole was in case I had a stubborn fungal infection. The good news is it worked great. No more itching but did still have a small bump at 12 o'clock just inside my anus. But here'a the catch: if I stopped using the cream, the itching came back with a vengeance. Keep in mind, there wasn't much pain just insane itching that drove me nuts especially at night. So I kept using the cream for over 3 years. But I realized this was not a long term solution, so I visited a crs to see if we could get to the bottom of my chronic condition. Initially diagnosed it as a possible fistula, so I went for a c-scopy to rule out crohns and ibs (came back with a clean bill on that front.). Next step was an anal exam under anesthesia where they would perform a fistulotomy if they saw one.
Fast forward to last Thursday....fistulotomy was performed; doc said it was very small/superficial and should fix the issue. I was sent home with packing and told not to pack it anymore. Also told to take colace, Metamucil, Valium for anal spasms, and some narcotic for pain. Well, the narc made me feel ill as if I had the flu, so I started taking i
Advil instead. So here's the deal: I'm generally pain free most of the day...unless I have to have a BM! Then it's "torture chamber" time! It hurts during but even a ton afterwards. The ONLY thing that seems to help the pain subside after a BM is a sitz bath. I generally have 3-4 BMs a day (normal for me) so I've been stuck in/near the house since my surgery.
Am I crazy thinking I should be having relatively pain free BMs this soon? What's everyone else's experience? What can I do to help things go more smoothly if you know what I mean? :( I am thinking about dosing milk of magnesia...
And I do have a call into my doc's nurse for suggestions. Just looking for some ideas and moral support!
Sorry for being so long in my first post but it definitely feels good to discuss with others in the same situation! Image
Bucknut
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: 6th day since my fistulotomy....BMs are crazy painful!

Postby richibeno » 31 Oct 2012, 13:47

Hey buck
I think the first week is the worst so IV been told
So you fistula is superfisial hope I heals real quick
Keep it clean as much as you can
Keep it soft with stool softners eat smooth foods nothing hard '
Plenty of water 'no red meat or coffee
IV got to have a fistulotomy in Dec to sort out my fistula I got it when Ihad an perianal abscess 'which I got after having botox for a anal fissure
How did your op go
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Bucknut » 31 Oct 2012, 19:13

Surgery went fine I guess. Lots of numbness after the surgery and didn't have complete bladder control immediately thereafter but that came back quickly.
So here's an update. I just had a relatively pain free BM. I'm starting to think the Valium I'm taking is the primary cause of my semi-hard stools, which are the source of my pain. And here's why: I have primarily been taking the Valium in the evening in response to the morning painful BMs. Valium can cause constipation, which I'm definitely experiencing. I'm going to lay off the Valium for a few days and see if I can get by with just Advil and some miralax or MOM and see if that helps. It's just so odd...I definitely had pretty hard stools even tonight but it didn't hurt much at all. I can't believe the difference in pain in just 8 hours. Something I'm doing must be causing this and I think it's the darn Valium. We'll see. I will keep updating this post even if no one else adds to it for the hope it helps someone else.
Thanks for your response.
Bucknut
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 31 Oct 2012, 22:23

Hi Bucknut.
I was going to mention the Valium, but it looks like you're already going to try cutting back on that. I was also going to suggest Miralax, but it looks like you have that covered as well.
Everyone is different in their surgical recovery, so as long as you aren't feeling a worsening of pain and you aren't seeing any new or increasing drainage, and other signs of infection, it actually sounds like you are doing pretty well. Keep in mind too that during a surgical recovery you're also not being as active as usual, and in addition to medications, you can also be seeing firmer stools than you might otherwise due to less activity.
If anything doesn't feel right to you or you have ny questions, don't hesitate to call your octor's office for advice.
Pease keep us posted on yor progress.
Wihing you all the best in yor recovery.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Bucknut » 01 Nov 2012, 07:50

Thanks for your reply and support. I took just a tablespoon of MOM last night right before bed and did not take Valium. This morning, I had a much, much less painful BM. Still took a sitz bath but I think I could have gone without if I really had to. I also had far less drainage over the past 15 hours. So, I'm really hoping I turned the corner on the recovery. I'm tired of being on a house leash!!!!
Bucknut
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 01 Nov 2012, 14:30

Hi Bucknut,
So glad to hear you are having a better day!
I hope it just keeps getting better and better!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 01 Nov 2012, 14:47

That sounds great.... I hope you have turned a corner and continue to get better!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Bucknut » 01 Nov 2012, 15:27

Thanks to everyone! I did speak to the doc's nurse today and she advised me to use Miralax vs. MOM so I will be making that switch. Two more BMs today and although one was painful, it was nothing like before and didn't linger like the days past. More updates coming, hopefully positive ones :D
Bucknut
Fibre Addict

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion