Best Topical to Heal Fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Best Topical to Heal Fissure

Postby mtbiker » 06 Nov 2012, 10:06

Newbie question here.
What is the best topical to heal fissure in your experience?
My background: never tried an topical, been living with a fissure for several years with only variable mild discomfort. Want to try something topical for a bit to see how it works. Way too scared to consider surgery given the mild amount of symptoms I have had.
I want to ask my doc for a topical but first I would love to hear some opinions on what has work well for you guys.
Thanks
mtbiker

Topics: 1

Re: Best Topical to Heal Fissure

Postby Stratocaster » 06 Nov 2012, 11:45

I'd say avoid Nirto ointment. My doctor had me on it for almost a year and it did nothing. I read some studies and the one study people with the placebo healed just as much as the people with the ointment. It really only scored well with pain management.
I've had great experiences with diltazem ointment. I've only been on it for 4 weeks that being said. I've had flare ups and good days. About 2 weeks ago I started taking zinc supplements with meals and applying ice a few times a day along with dilt. I also use 2 full doses of miralax (morning and night) and I feel like I'm as close to healed as I've been and its getting better daily.
Stratocaster
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6

Postby PompeyBlue » 06 Nov 2012, 13:46

I agree with stratocaster. My experience nitro vs diltiazem the same. I'm three weeks into diltiazem and am improving. I am also using coconut oil which I find very soothing. I'm using Lactulose to keep stools soft. I think the last is maybe the most important of all. Avoid straining at all costs!
Best wishes for dealing with what can only be.described as a miserable condition.
PompeyBlue
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Stratocaster » 06 Nov 2012, 14:21

yeah noooo strain. when i use the washroom gravity does all the work. should be like soft serve ice cream.
Stratocaster
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6