New to the forum, unfortunately fissure is not new

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to the forum, unfortunately fissure is not new

Postby rmarganti » 23 Nov 2012, 22:03

Just stumbled upon this site. There's lots of helpful stuff here. I aquired my fissure in january of this year (2012). I had trouble with hemeroids and IBS on and off prior to my fissure. Back in January I had what I thought was trouble with hemorids while motorcyclye shopping. I stopped at a drug store and picked up some suppositories. When I stopped at the next dealership, I went into the bathroom and forced a suppsitory up my butt, dry, while standing. I think that's when I tore myself. What a dumb thing to do. The first several months were h*ll. I was unable to sit at all. I had to drive my car with my legs braced against the floorboards to elevate my butt and my legs would fatigue after a couple of miles. I went to my family physician who perscribed hydrocortisone, which of course did not help at all. I returned and he wanted to insert some type of instrument in my anus to get a better look, but he said I was so tight down there he didn't dare try it. He was pretty sure I had a fissure and perscribed nitro for me. It did nothing but give me headaches. Out of frustration I researched fissures on the Internet and started treating myself. The first thing I discovered was that I am gluten intolerent. I cut out the gluten and it helped my IBS within a few weeks. The next thing I did was change my fiber supplement from psyllium to Acacia fiber. Another big improvement. I was taking stool softeners to make my BM's less painful, but I didn't like all the chemicals I was ingesting. I found something that works better than the stool softeners - Magnesium! I take 400 mg in the morning and 400 mg in the evening. Presto soft bowel movements with no constipation. Back in September I went to see an anal surgeon. After examining me, he diagnosed me with a classic anal fissure and scheduled me for surgery. I went home, did a little more research, and canceled the surgery. I found out that incontinence and inability to hold back your flatulence are some possible complications after the surgery. It would be just my luck to be the guy who craps his pants or breaks wind loudly in public after surgery. So, I am trying to heal this thing naturally. I have only had a little blood on 2 occasions at the onset of the fissure. I do not have any bleeding and can sit normally now. I have varying degrees of pain and or discomfort following BM's depending on my diet and frequecy of my trips to the bathroom. I ususally go to or three times first thing in the morning and do not get the urge the rest of the day or night. I've gotten some good ideas from this site. I get some relief with Tucks but I think I will try the cocunut oil down below. I already use it for cooking. I think the aloe might be worth a try as well. My condition is not unbearable. I consider it an inconvenience and I'm dealing with it. If it gets worse again or I lose patience (almost a year now) with it I'll probably have the surgery. I need to do a little more poking around on the site and see if people who had the surgery are happy with the results. I am also going to see if any members were able to get rid of their fissures using alternative or non-surgical methods. Thanks for listening.
rmarganti

Topics: 1

Re: New to the forum, unfortunately fissure is not new

Postby ng51guy » 24 Nov 2012, 17:21

Hi Rmarganti. I'v only just started suffering with a fissure in a bad way, I tried the diet and anusol but nothing worked so in desperation I went to the doc's and he prescribed lactolose. So far this is working a treat,after about a week of taking it my BM are really nice and soft and regular to the point that i dont need to push at all so no pressure which seems to be healing things up. I realise it's early days and i need to be totally on the ball with this after what I have read on here but so far things are looking and feeling alot better. I was wondering if you had tried the lactolose as like you I dont want to take all these chemicals and from what I can gather its sugar based so more nataural a product.
Thanks for your tip ,I,ll give the magnesium a try.
ng51guy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby rmarganti » 24 Nov 2012, 20:10

Hey Andy,
Thanks for the reply. I am hesitant to try the lactulose because it is made form the lactose (milk sugar) in cows milk. I am lactose intolerent and it would probably cause an explosion, if you know what I mean. The only milk I can drink is raw goats milk. I drink it daily for my calcium, vitamin A & D and probiotics. In reading your other posts I see that you are interested in getting off the Lactulose. If you don't have a problem with cow's milk, and the lactulose is working for you, I'd keep taking it. According to the research I did on the Internet, it's a natural healthy supplement that doesn't require a prescription in most other countries. It is a prebiotic as well. Speaking of which if you are having trouble with your digestion have you tried probiotics and enzymes. I take them regularly and they are a big help. Like you I used to take protien powders, and I really screwed up my digestion with them. The probiotics, enzymes, magnesium and acacia fiber are helping me normalize. You're always better off getting your protien from natural sources such as cage free eggs and raw milk. Hang in there it sounds as if you are taking an active role in your health and healing, rather than letting a doctor prescribe medications to treat the symptoms instead of the cause.
rmarganti

Topics: 1

Postby cherylk » 25 Nov 2012, 09:47

Rmarganti,
I forgot--is lactulose the same as Miralax/Movicol? We're happy to have you here. Hopefully, this site will be helpful to you. Many people here (including myself) have healed from conservative treatments such as Diltiazem, and Botox treatments have also helped others. I can understand your reluctance to have the LIS surgery.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46