Hello I am new here

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello I am new here

Postby marg6043 » 03 Dec 2012, 08:43

I am new in the board, but been reading all the incredible information for a few weeks when finally I found out what my painful problem was.
For over 28 years I had problems with hemorrhoids thanks to the birth of my first child, after confirmation from my doctor and no much help at the time for the condition I got over it until my second child two years later and problems again, for years on and off but manageable.
Well until a year ago in June when I end up in the emergency room with pain on my side and had surgery on the same day to remove my gallbladder and a large stone lodge in the bile duct, everything went beautiful I was up and about the next day with not problems, until I went home and diarrhea became my nemesis, I developed chronic diarrhea to the point of losing 17 pounds in just one month, I was given medication and while the diarrhea became more manageable I was still suffering, well the hemorrhoids (or what I thought it was) became very severe.
I had a case so bad 3 months ago, I went to my doctor and told her my problem, she gave me the suppositories call Anusol and that work like magic within few days, she recommended a colonoscopy because my age and I decided to ask the Gastro doctor to check on my hemorrhoids and do whatever was necessary to fix it.
Well after I woke up from the procedure he gave me the great news that everything was clean, but what I thought was hemorrhoids were just one and a very small one, but no to worry sometimes the smallest things cause the worst problems, that is what the gastro doctor said.
I went home no problems with my butt until two weeks later when the sensation of passing glass surprised me for the first time, Anusol didn’t work this time around, I went back to the gastro doctor and after further and painful examination he came to the conclusion that it was a fissure.
Since then my life has become very painful and surrounded by my butt and its behavior, I was given the nitro cream used it for 4 week with minor relieve, gastro doctor told me about surgery, I declined and decided to give the nitro cream three more weeks in which I went pain and discomfort Free for 2 weeks and on my appointment gave the great news of my success to my doctor, Oh, boy littler did I know what was waiting for me when a bout of diarrhea hit me the next day, the pain and discomfort came back.
Now I have appointment in February next year and am telling myself that if this doesn’t go away by then with all the loving care I am giving myself and controlling the diarrhea bouts I am all for surgery. :(
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Re: Hello I am new here

Postby Lauren12 » 03 Dec 2012, 11:59

Hi marg
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your gallbladder problems which seem to have led to a fissure. My mother is in hospital at the moment as chance would have it, having been admitted with an inflamed gallbladder. In her case though, they drained it because being quite elderly, she was too high risk to operate.
I've also suffered a fissure, so know what you're going through. Eventually I did have the LIS surgery, which fixed me, but many others have found success with more conservative treatments. My fissure was misdiagnosed as haemorrhoids at the beginning by the GP too. Only when I got to see a CRS was it found to be a fissure.
Anyway, all the best with your treatment. :)
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 03 Dec 2012, 12:17

Thanks so much for your post, yes, my life has not been the same since gallbladder, I hope your dear mother recovers, Is quite painful, I was the first one in my home from all my older and newer family members that have surgery for this ever, I can not eat the same foods as before, has become allergic to milk that I used to love and drink all day long. The diarreah is the worst, as I have no control over it, no matter what I eat, once I have it in the morning is all day long, then goes away for a few days to start over again, so the fissure can no heal because of it, also I have developed a very large skin tag where the fissure hides, is very painful but I have been able to manage, the nitro cream no longer works so I am to other natural ways to work with it, in the hopes that it goes away before my next appointment in February 2, then if the problem is still there I will have to talk about surgery as I believe that as long as the skin tag is there I am not going to get cure.
Again, I hope your mother feels better soon.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby Lauren12 » 03 Dec 2012, 14:10

Awww thank you for the good wishes for my mother. :) I think the gallbladder is no longer troubling her, but as you know, if you don't have it removed, the condition may recur. Being elderly and having been in hospital a month however, she's lost a lot of physical condition and is about to go into a care home to convalesce, or maybe for the long term, we don't know yet. But she's well, thank you, and no longer in pain. :) Yes, I understand it's an extremely painful condition, and comes on very suddenly. She was taken into hospital with severe abdominal pain. No one else in our family has suffered from it either, so far as I know.
I'm really sorry you've had such difficult effects from it. Is the skin tag you've developed a sentinel pile? These seem to develop after a while with fissures. I developed one, but when I went for my first lot of botox, I signed a form saying that if, when I was under anaesthetic, the surgeon discovered anything else that needed treating, I gave permission for it to be done. So I went to sleep expecting just botox injections and woke up finding that I'd also had all my skin tags removed, including the sentinel pile, and had had my haemorrhoids banded as well! Ouch!
At a later date however, I had the LIS operation, as whilst the fissure had healed, I by then had high muscle tone in my anus from all the spasms and was getting minor fissures with each bowel movement. The LIS operation fixed it and everything's normal now.
It must be difficult with the diarrhoea as it does irritate things when it's frequent. Presumably your CRS can guide you on the way to go, towards getting the fissure healed. Are there forums for people who've had gallbladder removal on how to manage the resultant diarrhoea?
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 03 Dec 2012, 18:27

Yes, the fissure is right there where the skin tag is located, that is why I feel that as long as the skin tag is there is not going to get better, I have a cholesterol binding Powder it also bind the excess bile that I drink every other day for the diarrhea, It works as long as I take it first thing in the morning. But sometimes the diarrhea just happen, I will ask my doctor in February if I am still having the problem, that If I am to go under anesthesia I will like everything fixed including the tag, thats what I was trying to figure out if I had to ask for the removal or is part of the overall fixing of the fissure.
Here in the US most doctors will put you under general anesthesia even for a regular colonoscopy or as my Gastro told me if the problem persist to have a look deeper inside to see how far the fissure goes, but he also said that it was superficial for what he could see on the outside, if I have surgery for the fissure I guess why not fix everything unless is too painful to deal with everything in one shot.
Right now I can manage the pain is not as bad as in the beginning when I could not even sleep with the pain.
And yes I visited many gallbladder forums after my surgery and found tons of information and at the end diarrhea is a side effects but doctors tend no to talk about it, the just call it gallbladder related IBS and that is what I supposedly have now.
I am so happy to find this forum and read so many stories, success, set backs and life experiences I don't feel alone anymore in such a very sensitive topic.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 03 Dec 2012, 18:43

marg6043 wrote:I am so happy to find this forum and read so many stories, success, set backs and life experiences I don't feel alone anymore in such a very sensitive topic.

Yes, I agree, Marg. I have IBS also which is a big source of my butt issue!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby marg6043 » 04 Dec 2012, 16:56

Yes, I agree, Marg. I have IBS also which is a big source of my butt issue!!

Is interesting, that back in the days IBS as is known now was call by my grandmother "nervous stomach", is so frustrating that when I got my gallbladder removed and came down with chronic stomach problems the last thing in my mind was something call "fissures" in your anus.
And it all makes sense now, most people have problem with constipation but diarreah is just as bad.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 04 Dec 2012, 17:09

Both constipation and diarhea are bad news. Image That's why healing a fissure is so (insert bad word here) difficult. I should reread your post. I've never b/4 heard of someone coming down with IBS after having their gall bladder removed which is a very common surgery, but possibly it is often a side effect of that procedure. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I've been on this forum awhile as you can see!!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby ryrylou » 07 Dec 2012, 21:39

I've been dealing with IBS with diarrhea for probably 20 years. It was misdiagnosed for about 10, until I finally got so frustrated I saw a GI doc who properly diagnosed it and got me on some good antispasmodics, that drastically helped. I went from painful diarrhea 3 times a week to once a month. After getting a colonoscopy to rule out colitis, he also told me that my anal sphincter was lots tighter than most patients. That colonoscopy in turn caused a very large painful hemorrhoid. This is why for the last 6 months I thought I had them again. I finally saw a rectal surgeon, who immediately diagnosed with a fissure. Hope things get better for you! This forum has been amazing for me.
ryrylou
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby cherylk » 08 Dec 2012, 06:57

Hello,
I live in Illinois also--central part. I really feel for you having IBS with diarhea. We could probably start a new thread about IBS--seems there are so many people who are affected by that. I have IBS-C so am really able to control my bowels if I have the correct amount of Miralax (which varies). May the Cheryl who started this forum be forever blessed!! So many people have been helped by our little group, and I'm happy to continue on as one of the administrators. A few years ago we even had contests here with prizes awarded to the winners. We had a lot of fun during those times, and I wrote a poem which is posted on this forum also!!
cherylk
VIP