New to forum but not to this fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to forum but not to this fissure

Postby tiredjay » 05 Dec 2012, 17:52

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but have been dealing with this fissure for the past year. Some background: I'm a 25 year old gay male who is anoreceptive. My fissure developed after sex, but went away after 2 weeks of sitz baths, metamucil, change in diet, and some suppositories. Unfortunately it reappeared 6 weeks later. I eventually went to my GP in March 2012, who prescribed some nifedipine with lidocaine. Two weeks later, my fissure reappeared. I decided to go to a CRS in May, who told me to continue to use the nifedipine because my fissure looked like it was healing. I went back for a follow up in August and the CRS said the fissure healed but she then excised what she thought were anal warts (the biopsy came back negative, thank God). Once I healed from that, my fissure felt fine until fairly recently. I became having some burning in my rectum and looked and saw that my fissure was back. Again I applied the nifedipine and scheduled an appointment with my CRS. Upon inspection, he couldn't find anything and basically told me that there was nothing I could do because my fissure wasn't chronic. I'm frustrated because I'm not a candidate for LIS since my pressure is normal (they tested). I'm not sure what to do because I've been going through this for the past year, my bms have remained soft, and the fissure just seems to sporadically rear its ugly head. On top of that, this has seriously affected my sex life with my live-in partner of 3 years. He's been really supportive, but I am terrified that we won't be able to be intimate again (i'm only 25 for Godssakes). I am wondering what other people might suggest, or if anyone has had an "acute" fissure that keeps recurring. Should I get a second opinion? Could they perform and advancement flap on someone even when there isn't a visible fissure? These things are horrible.
tiredjay
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: New to forum but not to this fissure

Postby owmybum » 06 Dec 2012, 05:15

Hi tiredjay,
Yes... I agree... These things are horrible!
I can see how frustrated you have become, and I can understand that... You are a young guy in his prime.
The good news is that tests showed you have a normal anal pressure. This is very puzzling though as to why you keep getting re occurring fissures.
Do you use any type of stool softener? Could you get a second opinion from a different crs?
I am sorry you are going through this, it is often a two steps forward three steps back type of affliction.
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Re: New to forum but not to this fissure

Postby marg6043 » 06 Dec 2012, 07:58

Hi, there, I am also new to the forum but like you have been lurking for months.
As you can see by the tons of information here you are not alone, this problem affects young and old or as me now middle age, you just have to take one day at a time until you find a way to cope with the problem or take drastic measures to end the discomfort, like surgery.
Hopefully you will find a way to get better and that will not affect your personal life, just hang in there and keep the hopes high.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8