Had proctogram today...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Had proctogram today...

Postby owmybum » 10 Dec 2012, 03:23

marg6043 wrote:Lo and behold I had not clue what a proctogram is or was, thanks for the very interesting experience you have, please tell what is all that for beside inducing a bowl movement while sitting on an x machine. Image

It is to see how my bowels function, and what could be affecting me that my af won't heal. Just to see if there are any underlying causes.
They can see all your muscles and bowels and rectum on a screen and observe the positions they assume when you pass a stool to make sure everything is functioning how it should. X
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby owmybum » 10 Dec 2012, 03:31

Thanks all.... Another painful hard white bm this morn. I had to cancel my other anal physiology test that was for this morning as I am in such discomfort I couldn't bare being messed with again. Hope I don't have to wait too long for another appt to be sent... But knowing the nhs it will prob be a while!
I have also had bad news.. My sister had a heart attack last night... So I have bigger worries than my anal tribulations to think about today.
OMB xx
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby marg6043 » 10 Dec 2012, 06:59

Thanks owmybum, for the explanation, I had no clue the doctors could do that, I thought that a colonscophy could see everything in there and show if something was wrong, did I misspell bowel? sorry,
I asked my daughter that is a nurse what a proctogram and she didn't even know.
Very interesting procedure.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby marg6043 » 10 Dec 2012, 07:00

owmybum, so sorry about your sister, I will have you and her in my prayers.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby suzyljank » 10 Dec 2012, 08:13

So sorry about your sister.
Years ago when they did any barium test they used to send you home with mineral oil and milk of magnesia. You were to take it immediately following the procedure. It worked great. I'm just surprised they don't do that anymore because barium sets up like cement.
I hope you feel better soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby owmybum » 11 Dec 2012, 02:44

Yet another horrendous rock solid bm this morning.... Not as white... But still very difficult to pass.....when will it all pass through me? I thought it would be gone by now?
I know I have to factor in the extra stress I am feeling, and I travelled to see my sister in hospital yesterday so I know I didn't drink as much as normal.... But really..if I'd have known this I would have only drank half of it!!
OMB x
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby fitchatak » 11 Dec 2012, 03:05

Sorry to hear about your sister OMB - hope she is doing ok.
Fitch x
fitchatak
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby jr2 » 11 Dec 2012, 15:19

OMB...
I'm so sorry about all that is going on. I can hardly believe the amount of bad news that keeps happening in my life too. The stress is out of the universe.
As far as the barium, because it isn't a food, your body isn't going to use it for nutrition so you have to eliminate all of it as waste. With the amount they make a person drink, that is actually quite a lot that has to come out. Along the way, water is extracted out of it by the body, making it hard and slow to pass. It is also mixing with the normal stool that is adding to it. The only way to ease the process is to add more water, more water, more water. Both in the form of drinking more water, and also by drawing more water into the bowel with an osmotic like Miralax/Movicol, or Milk of Magnesia. I think you use Lactulose. That should work too, but if it isn't doing the trick you might want to consider something else that will right now. Not sure how much more barium is left in there, but it could be worth trying something else to try and get more relief until you're sure you have passed it all through.
Wishing you relief and an easier time of things in all ways.
x
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 12 Dec 2012, 06:21

Thanks for the info jr2, and I am sorry to hear you have bad news to deal with too.... I hope it doesn't affect your af too much. Xx
I had another bad bm this morn, lots of blood and pain. I have been trying my hardest to minimise the damage and eat the right stuff and drink plenty, but it doesn't make a jot of difference. I don't know what I can try next? I would like to try something natural.... Maybe stewed fruit... But not sure what.
My sister has had stents put in and is doing well... So that's taken the stress level down a notch. Xx
OMB x
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby jr2 » 12 Dec 2012, 09:02

Thank tou for your well wishes. It would be nice if these kinds of things spaced themselves out more instead of coming all at once. Of course it would be nicer if they never happened at all! So glad your sister is on the mend. I hope she has a speedy recovery.
I know what you mean about wanting to stay natural. I did too for the first 7 months or so of the fissure odyssey, especially since I tend toward diarrhea every day. Stool softeners made no sense to me. But finally, when it became clear surgery wasn't going to be an option, I gave in and added Miralax to make sure my first visit to the bathroom in the morning wouldn't domore damage. I don't need that much, but it has made a huge difference.
But yes, youcould try stewed fruit, especially prunes, which contain sorbitol, a sugare that works on the bowel much the same as lactulose.
I hope things improve soon!
jr2

Topics: 15