2 weeks after LIS...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

2 weeks after LIS...

Postby Bajan » 12 Dec 2012, 13:31

Hi...
A few questions to anyone listening!
It has been two full weeks since I underwent LIS at a Toronto, ON hospital. I have basically been in bed since with pain only controlled by percosets, which I absolutely hate taking. Never thought I was pain sensitive...but it puts me to my knees at times.
I fear BM's...and am on metamucil in the evening and I also take Restoralax about mid-day (stool softener).
I need to return to work, which will be very difficult, as it is bridge demolition where the only spot to have a bm is the typical 'jonnie on the spot'...and it's -10 degrees here at the moment!
Is this an unusual time to be recouping?
I have also heard about a stool softener called 'Senokot-s'...has anyone had experience with this product at all?
(I would like to add a very large rum and coke to my diet, once the percosets are out of my system...)
Thanks for listening...
Steve
Bajan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: 2 weeks after LIS...

Postby Lauren12 » 14 Dec 2012, 20:30

Hi Bajan
I don't think that two weeks is an unusual time to still be recovering from the LIS. I took eight or nine months to get back to normal, but I'm probably at the long end of the recovery scale! I know there are stories of people recovering within a few days, but I think they're lucky! Some of us take longer.
I couldn't imagine having to take a dump on the spot in minus 10 degrees two weeks after surgery! You don't sound ready for it, to be honest, and I think you should take care of yourself. Can you take some more time off work? Your work also sounds very active, with possible lifting and carrying, and I'm not sure that's a good idea until you're healed.
Take care.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Re: 2 weeks after LIS...

Postby marg6043 » 14 Dec 2012, 21:12

Bajan, I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time after your surgery, Now, I have fissures but have not opted for surgery yet, I take mineral oil in the morning and in the evening to make the stools slippery and easy to pass as by doctor recommendation.
Also I used to take metamucil, but that at least to me makes my stools bulky and the last time I took it is was the reason my fissure reopen again.
Perhaps another alternative to fiber will help you.
Hopefully the pain problem is just temporary and everything will get better for you.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8