What should I have on hand before surgery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

What should I have on hand before surgery?

Postby thefer74 » 16 Dec 2012, 22:46

Hi
I am in the process of preparing for my upcoming surgery. I had a chronic fissure, that developed an abscess out of the blue. This abscess has a mind of its own. Every 6-7 days, it becomes very painful, swells up and drains pus. Pus drains out of a tiny hole away from the anus, which we suspect is a fistula. Anyways, I have surgery this Wednesday. He is going to do a better exam and find the fistula track, drain the abscess, fix the fissure, remove the scar tissue, and place a seton.
I am getting very nervous about it. I will be home alone recovering from surgery. What should I have on hand before I go in for surgery. What are some must foods, materials/supplies? I am planning to go shopping tomorrow.
What is the difference between Mirlax and Milk of Mag? Is one better than the other? Is one more gentle?
I am supposed to do an enema the night before and the morning of. Any ways to make this less painful. The abscess is back (like clockwork) and draining. Very painful and tender to touch.
thanks
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: What should I have on hand before surgery?

Postby jr2 » 18 Dec 2012, 00:12

Hi there,
I haven't had surgery so I didn't hink I should jump in, but thought I could try to offer a little help.
Miralax verus Milk of Magnesia. If you've never tried either one, I'd probably go with the Miralax for your recovery. Miralax dosing is a bit easier to get adjusted according to your body's response. I would try to use it before your surgery so you get a good idea of how your body responds.
There isn't a whole lot you can do to make the enema less painful. You could try coating the tip with vaseline. Make sure you go very slowly. Most people feel the enema is one of the worst parts of their surgical process. The good news is soon afterward you will be undergoing your surgery and will be getting pain relief from the medications.
I would stick with mostly soft foods while you recover. Canned vegetables and fruit, oatmeal, fruit smoothies, yogurt, veggie soups, some fish and chicken to give you protein for healing, sweet potatoes. Avoid anything with seeds, and try to keep acidic foods like tomato sauce and citrus to a minimum. No spicy foods.
Most people have a supply of baby wipes for cleaning up after BMs, and some use a sitz basin or bath tub or soaking. Your surgeon should provide you with detailed instructions regarding postoperative wound care.
If you have a friend or family member who can check in on you and help you in the initial days, it would be a good idea. If you need something at the store or are having any kind of difficulty, I would feel better knowing you had someone you could call on for help. You're undergoing quite a bit with this procedure and you need some tender loving care.
I hope you will keep us posted on how you are doing, especially since your surgeon is using something so novel in the Amniomatrix cells.
Wishing you all the best with your surgery and a speedy healing completely free of complications.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby thefer74 » 18 Dec 2012, 09:10

Hi
Thanks for your suggestions. I keep having second thoughts then like clock work, I develop another abscess every 6-7 days. Got another one on Sat and Sun. I then realized that I need to do this.
I have a couple in my apartment that is willing to look on me. They gave me their cell numbers and told me to call them. My puppies love them. They can hear them a mile a way and they always stop to play with them.
I won't have a chance to try Miralax but I will pick up some today. I have a bath tub but I will also pick up a hand held shower.
I have a feeling that my diet will be greatly affected. Hopefully, I can lose some weight in the process. I am planning to go food shopping today once I drop my puppies off at their daycare place.
I am very nervous about it. Just thinking about it this morning, sent me to the bathroom.
thanks
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Postby jr2 » 18 Dec 2012, 10:44

Yes, the days leading up to any surgery are so hard. The nerves are really tough to get a handle on. You're almost there, though, and soon you will be on the road to recovery!
Oh, good, I'm so glad you have someone you can call on for help. It will help you to know there is someone close by in case you need them.
Yes, do try to be as careful about your diet as you possibly can. Just think of it as part of your postsurgical prescription for healing. The Miralax will help keep your BMs softer and regular.
Make sure your doctor is very clear with you about what is normal for you to expect in terms of pain level, bleeding, swelling, discharge, and what you are to do as far as dressings, cleaning, etc. So many doctors give such vague instructions and what to expect that people understandably become nervous as they recover, wondering what is normal and not normal. Also, in the same spirit, do not be hesitant to call your doctor during your recovery at any time that you experience anything that is making you nervous or uncomfortable, if you have questions, or if your pain is not being controlled well enough. Part of your surgeon's responsibility is to see you through the healing period. This isn't a time to feel shy or like you are bugging him.
Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery, and can't wait for you to be all healed and feeling better again!
jr2

Topics: 15