New to site..Thank you

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to site..Thank you

Postby PIA » 31 Dec 2012, 01:50

Hi All,
Thank you so much for this site.
I believe I have an anal fissure although not diagnosed by a GP yet.
I am a healthy 50 year old with a 25 yr history of mild haemorrhoids.
The past 5 weeks have been painful as I am sure you would all know.
I have been experiencing burning rectal pain with BM and pelvic floor spasms usually but not always after BM lasting for hours and unrelieved by OTC analgesics. There is no bleeding. I faced my fear of GPs and saw her last week. On examinination she found a sentinal tag and extreme tenderness at the rear of my rectum and a sphincter clamped tight. She had no idea what it could be so has referred me to a Colorectal surgeon. Earliest appt I could get was in another weeks. My first fear was the big C so I did a google search on sentinal tag and low and behold I found all the symptoms fit an anal fissure. I am trying desperately to resolve the pain medicaly before I see the surgeon and would appreciate any advice. I have increased my water intake dramatically and added fibre and stool softeners to my diet to avoid constipation. Warm baths help sometimes and not others and only for the time I am in the bath. At its worse I am unable to sit or lay down without a lot of pain. I must say I have learned to appreciate the bliss when I am pain free. I am using witch hazel soaked baby wipes for hygiene and today I have tried Vicks topically for an attempt at pain relief. I realise now that I experienced this once before about 5yrs ago and I now believe that is when the sentinal tag was formed. What a relief to be able to talk to people who are in a similar place. All advice gratefully appreciated. Many thanks PIA
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Re: New to site..Thank you

Postby owmybum » 01 Jan 2013, 05:46

Hi pia,
Sorry to hear of your suffering... But glad to see you are doing all the right things to help yourself.
Hopefully when you see the crs he can prescribe some good cream to help promote your healing. I did really well on diltiazem... Until I developed an irritation from it.
Hang on in there.
OMB xxxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby PIA » 01 Jan 2013, 20:18

Thanks OMB, Whilst I wouldn't wish this condition on anybody..there are some benefits. As someone who has the foot down on the accelerator in life I have been forced to slow down. I now pay much more attention to what goes in my mouth for fear when it comes out Image I am working my way through all the comments on this forum and nodding my head frequently. I can't believe my GP had no idea Image She will now. Pia.
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PIA » 03 Jan 2013, 21:42

Point of interest..I have found a lot of relief from the pain of the fissure with application of vicks. Causes a burning sensation at first but certainly better than the pain. Have to wonder if I am confusing the nerve endings.. Can just imagine them talking to each other "hmm this is hot and painful, more or less hot than painful..what do you reckon?" Image So whilst reacting to the sensation of heat they are forgetting to tell the muscles to spasm. whilst I haven't used it yet I am imagining this might be the same with the retrogesic. More good times than bad at the moment hence my sense of humour is returning.
Last edited by PIA on 03 Jan 2013, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 04 Jan 2013, 07:50

Pia, we know your pain, the sentinel pile is a tale tell of what is waiting behind.
Sorry to hear that you are now experiencing much pain and discomfort, I already tried the nitro cream, but after 5 months I developed itching and the fissure is still there.
Hopefully it works for you, after trial and error you can find something that will help with the pain and make life more comfortable and at the end if that doesn't work is always surgery.
That is how I see my case anyway, try anything before the big step.
I found out that in my case keeping the area well lubricated before a BM and avoiding more than one a day does the trick with the after discomfort.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8