Please heed this warning post op recovery in hell -

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Please heed this warning post op recovery in hell -

Postby meisen01 » 31 Dec 2012, 20:24

If I can help those who are going to get the surgery please review this nightmare and note-
Had the spinchter and fissure surgical procedures on 12th of this month ( dec):
Here is what happened-
CRS did not advise/require bowel prep before surgery
Within 48 hours from being sent home from post op to begin recovery I was rushed by ambulance for fecal impactation- the drugs can and will constipate you ( tramadol etc. ) - I spent 12 hours in the emergency room( hospital tried to get crs but he never called in ) and was forced to undergo two enemas and magnesium citrate- some relief granted but this is just the beginning:
If you are prone to constipation note that you must know what you are taking and the culmulative effects as you try to recover because once back from the er - it was another three days and stilll no bm. Only forcing surgeon to deal with me by getting a case mgr from your insurance company ( important) I met with him in his office - and he wanted me to take magnesium citrate ( colonoscopy prep to losen me up) - I did that that eve and then it was another 6 days before finally having a bm on my own under my control. Here you are dealing with a double hit- the fear of going to do the first bm plus taking pain killers that are only hardening you more.
What I did to resolve: I stopped all pain killers, took ducolex softner and slowly very slowly fibered up till you feel that first urge. When you get the urge - and you know its imminent then and only then take two valium before heading to the toilet. Have a pain killer on the sink ready to go as you release your bm. It is the fear that has build up that you have to work thru- in my case I had forced the surgeon to check me in his office days before to make sure I wasn't blocked as well as knowing that the er visit had also prev erased that.
This was now almost two weeks since the day of surgery before I finally regained control. You are relearning how to go all over again. To me this was worse then the surgery itself. Once the first bm is released your body will relax. I am ok now and have achieved this milestone- it is painful but not life ending. Also you can't force things - your body was under gen athesia ( my case) and bowels were asleep.
My surgeon was a crs , skillful but he was a sole practicioner with multi office ( here again mistake) - who had no call service only voice mail ( amazing?) - the same voice mail used by his receptionist. When I did finally get a call - he was terse and not understanding I could feel the hostility from bothering him if it wasn't for my quick thinking to get a nurse case mgr from my insurance company who they themselves called and put him I guess on notice he was being watched - who knows where it could of gotten to .
Lessons learned
- bowel prep before any surgery like this would of prevented many problems
-you will beome constipated even if not prone- slowly fiber up and drink 64 oz of water each day- keep urination going
-know the medicnes you will be given up front and have a plan to counteract- do the research on constipation impacts
- use a case mgr ( most insurance companies have them) - they have bite - document everything that is spoken between you and surgeon during recovery.
-do not rely exclusively on the discharge instructions they are genreralized- and are not one size fit all
- have the committment from the surgeon- know what to expect at 24, 36 48 and 72 hours after surgery. Make sure you have an oral agreement that you expect him to call or you can call him . Mine didn't even call me the night after surgery to check on me
- have a battle plan- the milestone is the first bm
-have faith in your body to let itself turn itself back on - this includes your bowel regime- I survived not going for almost 9 days before I finally went. The trick is do not over eat, eat less and don't eat at night after 6:00pm-
meisen01

Topics: 2

Re: Please heed this warning post op recovery in hell -

Postby marg6043 » 04 Jan 2013, 10:27

This is the most amazing story after surgery I have read and I had 4 myself in the last ten years and yes your body gets slow after general anesthesia, I did, but in my case never longer than one day.
Sorry to hear all the problems you had after your surgery, I guess your recovery rather than an easy one was very much ridden with fear and complications due to lack of information from your doctor.
You know its hard to find this days a doctor that cares for you before during and after a treatment or surgery.
Again sorry to hear that you have such a bad experience and thanks for the information, I will keep all that in mind if I decide to go with surgery for my fissure.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8