Traveling for surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Traveling for surgery

Postby owmybum » 23 May 2013, 07:26

YAY ANDY..... That's fantastic news. I'm soo relieved it has all come together for you and healed up nicely.
I think food wise.. I would gently re introduce things off the forbidden list, whilst taking your movicol too, just to be on the safe side!
After what your NHS doc said about Mr W I feel even more positive that I can be finally sorted out... But I did have a scary thought... That he keeps all his nice shiny sharp scalpels for his private patients, and the others get the rusty blunt ones!! Image LOL
Thanks for updating us... And I will keep everyone posted too.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Davo » 23 May 2013, 07:38

Surprisingly enough Mr Windsor told me it was fine to eat steak whilst I still had my fissure. He just said make sure it was well cut up and chewed so I don't swallow it in large chunks.
Eight weeks post surgery and pizza should be fine in my opinion - the fissure should be healed and any discomfort would only come from the incision point.
Davo

Postby owmybum » 23 May 2013, 12:47

Pizza party it is then!!...... Just wish I could join in! Lol
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Mood: UGH !

Postby andyk123 » 26 May 2013, 04:43

Thanks for the messages owb and Davo, it is really appreciated. I went out and had 4 pints and a lamb dish the other night, and yesterday I had sausage sandwiches, chips for lunch and fajitas at dinner. No problems so far! Next step is to faze out movical. Hope all is well with you guys.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Davo » 26 May 2013, 12:38

:D :D :D :D :D BRILLIANT!! (I did chuckle at your message)
I went on a mission to eat all the foods i could not eat during my fissure days, it started with a pizza here or a mexican there and then it was full on non-stop binge eating. Everything i was ever taught about being sensible with my eating went out of the window but boy did i enjoy it.
I am now about 2 stone (12.7kg) heavier than when i had my fissure and none of my clothes fit me anymore!
It's going to be a fun few weeks for you Andy!
OMB,
I'm really interested to see what Mr Windsors results are with botox and fissurectomy now, i hope he can also works wonders like he can with LIS.
Davo
Davo

Postby Sue27uk » 30 May 2013, 06:10

Hi Andy, I haven't logged in here for ages and thought as I had the time I would look in to see how you're doing. I'm so pleased to hear you are sorted, that's great! I can't actually say the same but never mind. Quick update on my situation, I was referred to the hospital again. Was extremely ill over christmas (not one of my best christmas days!!), and nearly got sent to hospital. But was put on antibiotics as they thought I'd had an abscess that burst. I was still having problems, so my doctor wrote a letter which fast tracked me and I saw someone 5 weeks later (I am with the same guy I was with privately but on the NHS). 2 weeks later I had an MRI scan, and they have found a fistula which they think is the source of pain on my coccyx. So I am awaiting an EUA where they will look at me and hopefully open up the fistula so it can heal. That was 8 weeks ago so I am chasing things up in a few weeks. Things are nowhere near as bad as they were, but I'm still not right so hopefully this will be the end of it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the op is in the summer hols and I have good time to recover.
Anyway, I am so pleased you're sorted, it was taking forever for you but looks like you found the right person to sort you out. Davo, great to see you are still sorted and have your life back. Hopefully I can say the same soon!! I feel better knowing they have found something and can try to sort it, if not a little nervous too! If they don't sort it, I may have to visit London myself, sounds like it's the miracle cure!! :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby andyk123 » 14 Jun 2013, 12:13

Sue what a nightmare. At least they appear to have found the problem though. Any updates as to when you will have the EUA and potential opening of fistula ?
Things still good with me, although not 100 percent.
Fissure pain is now a thing of the past, and I am assuming it has healed by now. I have also managed to come off movical with no ill effect.
My surgery incision wound/ scar is still not pain free though. It is quite sensitive. Some times when I am sitting it almost feels like there is a bruise in the general area, and I still use baby wipes as tissue paper can irritate. The other day I had to go in work, and it was an annoying one that took for ever to wipe clean. Using cheap toilet paper resulted in quite a bit of irritation that evening, I had a look at it that evening and the scar looked quite raw, but its settling down.
I am just hoping theres still a way to go in healing. I have read that scars can take a year to fully heal. I am at about 12/13 weeks post op now.
But that is more just an irritation than anything, and life is pretty good now. I am back at the gym, I am slowly eating more food and moving away from a fissure friendly diet, but I am still quite anxious around the amount of fibre I eat, and the amount of water I drink. After two years I think it will take a long time to change to be honest, but no the worst thing in the world!
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby andyk123 » 14 Jun 2013, 12:14

by the way I have still not eaten a pizza !!! I am just too nervous to haha, so still no pizza party.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Davo » 26 Jun 2013, 10:28

Have you had that pizza yet Andy?
Davo
Davo

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Jun 2013, 12:46

LOL........:)
Andy, truly great to read your updates on this site! I'm so happy to read that you are SO much better and your story is inspirational to all sufferers contemplating LIS.
It took me 1 year, 5 months to naturally heal and I'm still very aware of scar tissue at times in that area but we all know how long it can take our bottoms to heal!!!
Also like Davo, I have now put on a stone since this time last year! so the weight definitely goes back on once you start eating again!.....One thing for sure, my eating and toilet habits too have changed for life!!.............
Wishing you all the very best in your continuing recovery. It's really great to see some of the "old-timers" back on the site too & reporting their progress!!.........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again