Fistulotomy wound leaking some blood 20 days out?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fistulotomy wound leaking some blood 20 days out?

Postby ajl1239 » 04 Feb 2013, 08:12

Hi All,
I had fistulotomy surgery on 15 January, and today 4 February, I noticed I am having a bit of blood leakage out of the wound site, particularly at night. (When I wiped this morning, I noticed it on the tissue.) It is not a lot by any means, but it is concerning me. I thought by this time, I should just be seeing a bit of drainage, if anything. It was for a quite superficial fistula close to surface.
Anyone else have this experience? Thanks!
ajl1239
Salt Bather

Topics: 31

Re: Fistulotomy wound leaking some blood 20 days out?

Postby thefer74 » 04 Feb 2013, 22:57

Hi
I am experiencing the same thing but my surgery was Dec 18th so I am about 6 wks out. I called my CRS about it two weeks ago and was told that it may happen off and on until it completely closes. Mine is almost closed on the outside. I have noticed an increased in bleeding and pain when it was closing up. This weekend and today, I got some blood. Thank God, I was wearing a piece of gauze.
thanks
Jennifer
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Postby Dan_88 » 05 Feb 2013, 06:16

I had a fistulotomy about 16 months ago. I wouldn't worry too much if it's only a small amount, it takes quite a while for the wound to fully heal. I had discharge for over 2 months I reckon, and it just got less and less and eventually I felt normal again.
Dan_88
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby richibeno » 05 Feb 2013, 08:13

Hey guys '
I had mine on the 11. Dec was higher than first thought and went through some muscle
I had no blood for two weeks then the Xmas diet 'i had blood for a week then clear 'i then went back to work on 12 Jan and that messed up my daily routine 'i then had some more blood for 2 weeks so I went and sore my crs 'who said it looks fine he examined me in side and said all looks OK got a couple of hemorrhoids but most people have them and might get a little blood from them no worries'.next night I get an ache and I find I now have an external hemorrhoid which I think may have come from the examination hope this goes in a week or so
Good luck to you all
Here's to great healing
Health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby ajl1239 » 07 Feb 2013, 11:32

Yes, good healing to you both!
I am worried because I still have the open wound and yesterday I went to the doctor and he said it was overgranulating, so he 'burned' the wound a bit to move some of the granulation tissue in the hope that skin will start to cover it this time and not just more granulation.
I hope so...
ajl1239
Salt Bather

Topics: 31

Postby Ever the Optimist » 07 Feb 2013, 16:03

AJL,
Don't worry about that bleeding. It is completely normal and a fresh flow of blood to the area is always a good sign because it shows healing and circulation.
Depending on the state of the fistula, you could experience this for a while longer and the pus discharge too. Totally normal stuff! So please don't worry about it too much. The fact the wound is still open shows it is still healing and the silver nitrate is particularly helpful in assisting the granulation issue! It actually sounds like you are doing really well despite your worries!
Rich - Good to hear from you again and glad to hear you have been doing so well. I have to totally agree with you on the pile thing!! I went for my final EUA in December and following that, I got the thumbs up with a healed fistula and virtually healed fissure but the side effect seemed to be the bloody piles!!!! After my second EUA, I had an extremely painful exterior pile, which was NOT ever there before and since my last EUA, I have two internal piles, one slightly more troublesome than the other. I never suffered with these before and I am 100% certain that piles are side effects of any anal surgery, although they don't tell you that!!.......Use a bit of anusol on that exterior one. My went in two or three days and happily, has not returned!!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby richibeno » 07 Feb 2013, 16:10

Hey eto
Great to hear from you and your doing great
Yea piles eh' its not to bad can still real it get an ache 'hop it goes in a week or so yes I have some anusole'
Still keeping a smooth diet loads of water and keeping it as clean as I can
'Yes I felt great when surgeon said it looks fine but next day this external hemi came along may e he squashed a vein in there'
richibeno
VIP

Postby carmani2 » 06 Mar 2013, 18:30

AJL or anyone? I had a superficial fistula and then a fistulotomy 4 months ago today. Where the doctor layed open the tract, it was supposed to heal from the inside out. However, now I have a piece of skin that almost feels like a hemorrhoid to the touch that is not laying flat. Is this normal and will it ever go away. It doesn't seem like it. I haven't had time to get back to the doctor but when I showed him at my follow up appointment, he said it would heal. I am also really irritated again in that area and there are little bumps over the scar area where the fistula was laid open. I was actually feeling normal and alot better about 2 months after but now this is happening. Has anyone else had this problem?
carmani2

Postby richibeno » 06 Mar 2013, 18:47

Hi car ani
I am 12 weeks post fistulotomy I'm still aching and get a zing now and then I think I have some scar tissue in the area 'i have been aching a lot since Sunday
Are you in pain did you have a fissure before it may be you have a skin tag these can be irritated
Did you have any aching which lasted for a while
Here's to great healing
Health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion