Fissurectomy recovery time?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissurectomy recovery time?

Postby trieditall » 10 Feb 2013, 09:09

Hello,
Well I have had one round of botox with really no success. My doc recommended another round with a fissurectomy this time to remove the scar tissue to hopefully aid healing. Both doctors I have seen have said I really need LIS but strong discouraged me from getting it because I am a young female (25) who has not had children yet. Said it can cause incontinence after having children even if all is well after surgery. So, not really a candidate for that. I need to try something else though because I have no life as a result of this chronic fissure. My main concern about the fissurectomy is the recovery time and when I can go back to work. I've been told a wide range of recovery times (recovery to the point of being able to go back to work, not 100% healed)... from 5 days to 4 weeks so I just don't know what to do. I absolutely cannot miss 4 weeks of work, so I'm just trying to see if that's just like an absolute worst case scenario or if that's a legit possibility. If anyone who has had a fissurectomy can please let me know what recovery was like... how soon you were back to work, how long until it healed completely, if it got the job done, etc., I would greatly appreciate it. Right now I am so desperate, I almost want to do it no matter what, but I can't lose my job so I don't know. Thank you.
trieditall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Fissurectomy recovery time?

Postby Jessjess » 10 Feb 2013, 15:03

Hello there! I just had a fissurectomy and LIS for a chronic fissure that put me out of work for 2 weeks BEFORE my surgery. It was absolute HELL. That said, have you seen a good Colorectal surgeon?
My surgeon told me that there was a very minimal chance of incontinence with LIS, but I was in SO much pain and I know that I didn't want to ever have to endure fissure pain again.
Recovery has been good for me. I'm on day 7 post op and doing well. Still some pain and I am still resting and taking another week off of work (2 weeks total FMLA for post op recovery). I have had no incontinence. It will take another 2-4 weeks for the wound to completely heal so I will need to be careful getting back into the swing of things.
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5