Stool softeners and gas

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Stool softeners and gas

Postby Sickofthepain » 14 Feb 2013, 21:47

New member of the board here, although I've been lurking for a while.
I had a bad experience with a doctor and couple months ago, when I finally was in enough pain I felt I had no other choice. He was very aggressive, shall we say, with his probing, saying things like, "just relax!" He didn't have the best bedside manner, to be sure. I found this board after that, and did ok on my own, with just a few setbacks. Basically, I was taking fiber powder, milk of magnesia, and eating a fiber-rich diet.
I went to a different doctor, who was so much better, and he suggested I quit the mom, and start taking stool softeners. This led to an immediate problem BM, followed by painful contractions and painful gas.
My question is whether other people have had gassy results with stool softeners, and if there is a kind of softener that doesn't have that side effect?
Thanks!
Sickofthepain

Topics: 1

Re: Stool softeners and gas

Postby delasama » 14 Feb 2013, 22:59

I take miralax and Metamucil.they both give gas. I think anything that gets the stool soft is going to make stool move more which ultimately makes more gas . Sorry I'm no help, but I do have the same problem. Have u asked a pharmacist.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Re: Stool softeners and gas

Postby Sickofthepain » 14 Feb 2013, 23:06

Metamucil doesn't seem to have that effect on me. Thanks for the reply!
Sickofthepain

Topics: 1