It's back! (Or at least the pain is)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: It's back! (Or at least the pain is)

Postby wildwildwest » 16 Feb 2013, 22:36

Jessjess wrote:Hello Wild! Sorry to hear you are having problems. Why did the doctor suggest a colonoscopy?...

Actually, she made this referral for the colonoscopy because of my age (55) and due because I have never had one. She is probably correct, but it had nothing to do with the pain.
wildwildwest
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Jessjess » 16 Feb 2013, 22:40

Is a colonoscopy like a mammogram where they suggest that you have one by a certain age?
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby marg6043 » 16 Feb 2013, 23:03

Jessjess wrote:Is a colonoscopy like a mammogram where they suggest that you have one by a certain age?

Yes, Jessjess is call preventive care (more profiting scams), I held back mine as long as I could because I didn't like it when my husband have his and have to take all that nasty stuff of the cleansing, so finally when my regular doctor told me it was time and better get over it, after my pain in the bum complain.
Here in the US you have the first one at age 50 if you have no family members with colon cancer and depending on the result you may wait from 5 years to 10 for the next one, if your colon is removed then is every year, my husband poor thing had a polyp so he have to get them every 5 years, but in my case I was clean so is 10.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Jessjess » 17 Feb 2013, 06:44

Gotcha! I figured as much. Thanks for the info!
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby GGky1959 » 18 Feb 2013, 13:42

wildwildwest wrote:Greetings!
I am so very happy to have found you folks! It is always comforting to know there are other people who feel your pain! (Not that I want anyone to have this)
I was diagnosed with an AF a couple of years ago. The only docs who actually "viewed" the problem was a couple of guys at an urgent care clinic. They prescribed cortisone cream and lidocaine gel. It helped (a little) but didn't do much else. When I finally got really desperate and went to my regular clinic, the newbie doc assigned to urgent walk-ins didn't have a clue. He went to his boss, a wonderful lady doc who had suffered an AF herself. She prescribed the nitroglycerin cream/ointment. It did take several weeks (felt like years), and after many several expensive compounded jars of nitroglycerin creams, sitz-baths, diet alterations, and much Benefiber, the AF finally healed. Or so I thought.
I stopped taking the Benefiber because they quit making it, or something. Then, several weeks ago, I felt the beginnings of a "new" pain in the anal area, wasn't too bad at first but it felt different than the original AF, more closer to the exterior, and the pain is more of a burning pain, not like the spasm/throb of the original AF. Now, I have a new doctor, who when I complained of this "new" pain she said, "Oh, just get some Prep-H and some Tucks"... Clearly, she knows nothing.
I have yet to have anyone actually "look" to diagnose the AF, other than the docs at the urgent care clinic at the beginning of my first AF episode. I have a referral for a colonoscopy, but the thought of someone putting the equivalent of a garden hose up my butt is very disturbing. Help! I read someone's suggestion (on another post) that having a colonoscopy is not recommended, but what does one do in a situation like this?
Just wanted to introduce myself (you can call me "Wild") and let you folks know how we appreciate you being here.
W. "Wild" West

I had the same experiences myself......urgent care people seem to be the only people that really care these days, the rest those that make the big dollars, they just prescribe drugs and call it a day.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby cam39 » 01 Mar 2013, 11:53

wildwildwest
I have had similar pain and burning on the outside which is hemorrhoids (that's what your external pain sounds like-my surgeon said that hems often result from fissures). I've dealt with the hems for about 15 years pretty much just by bearing the pain...I was too embarassed to talk to my doctor to seek treatment until the last couple of years the pain became too severe. I started with a prescription cream on the outside to help the pain of my prolapsed hems and it seemed to do well for the first year. Then I had to use the cream internally AND externally to get relief.
About 3 months ago I started to have the spasms you referred to which my surgeon said is caused by the fissures. I used the nitroglycerin cream internally for about a week and each time I used it I had the severe headache almost instantly. The label said that can come from using too much of it. It did not relieve my spasms much. My surgeon wanted to do a proctoscopy and colonoscopy to determine if it was fissures or hems or something else-she couldn't examine me in her office as the spasms were too painful and not allowing her to see. As it turned out, we adjusted that plan the day of the surgery and she did the proctoscopy to see what was wrong and did the fissurectomy and hemorroidectomy as well as digitally dialated my external sphincter (usually with fissures the internal sphincter needs attention, but she said my internal was fine, but the external was so contracted that it was making it very difficult to pass a BM).
So now I am 2 and half weeks post op and my spasms are gone...thank goodness-they were all day everyday. Now I think the hemorroids have returned. I have swelling outside the anus and burning pain both when I pass a BM and for 2-3 hours afterward (similar to your symptoms wildwildwest). The only thing that seems to releive the pain is lidocaine cream applied on the prolapsed hems. Has anyone else had hems return so quickly after surgery to remove them? Will they subside a little after I recover?
cam39